Diplomatic hogwash.any terrorists in Syria are operating with the
government's complicity.

Bruce

US thanks Syria over embassy raid

  <http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif>
 Syrian emergency services at scene of clash
<http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42077000/jpg/_42077580_firetruck_ap_2
03body.jpg>
Firefighters and other emergency services were sent to the scene
  <http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/inline_dashed_line.gif>

 <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3681938.stm>
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3681938.stm>
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3681938.stm> Scene of the attack
The US has thanked Syria for foiling an attack on its embassy in Damascus.
Syria said three attackers were killed and a fourth captured as they tried
to drive two cars at the compound. One security officer was killed.
Syrian media blamed Islamic extremists but no-one has said they carried out
the attack. One car went up in flames but the second bomb failed.
The US, which lists Syria as a sponsor of terrorism, said it was grateful
that the embassy staff's safety was ensured.
There were no reports of US casualties. There is currently no US ambassador
to Damascus and very limited contact between the governments.
Damascus has seen sporadic unrest in recent years, including a reported
attempt to bomb the Canadian embassy.
Grenades
Security forces sealed off the Rawda area, which also houses other embassies
and security installations.

  <http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif>
AREA OF EMBASSY ATTACK
 Syria map
<http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42078000/gif/_42078046_syria_maarrat_
map2032.gif>
  <http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/inline_dashed_line.gif>

 <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/5337866.stm> In pictures: Embassy
clash
"Three terrorists were killed and one was wounded," said Interior Minister
Gen Bassam Abdel Majid.
It was, in his words, a "terrorist operation targeting the US embassy" and
involving home-made bombs and automatic weapons.
Ayman Abdel-Nour, a Syrian political commentator who was in the area, said
the attackers had run "toward the compound shouting religious slogans while
firing their automatic rifles".
Grenades were reportedly thrown at the embassy's wall, said to be about 2.5m
(8ft) high.
Witnesses said that after an initial exchange of fire, two of the attackers
sought refuge in a nearby building but were pursued and gunned down by
security forces.
Heightened tension
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice thanked Syria's security forces and
expressed condolences over the death of the guard.
"I do think that the Syrians reacted to this attack in a way that helped to
secure our people and we very much appreciate that," she said.

 US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
<http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42079000/jpg/_42079932_condy.jpg>
Rice said Syria had helped to "secure our people"
"I think it's very early to try and speculate why this may have happened,"
she said.
White House spokesman Tony Snow said the US was "grateful for the assistance
the Syrians provided in going after the attackers".
"We are hoping they will become an ally and make the choice of fighting
against terrorists," he said.
The attack comes at a time of heightened tensions between Washington and
Damascus, with bitterness in Syria over US support for Israeli military
action in Lebanon.
The US accuses Syria of supporting the insurgency in Iraq and not doing
enough to prevent weapons going to Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
BBC Arab affairs analyst Magdi Abdelhadi says it is difficult to see what
Islamic militants could gain by undermining stability in Syria.
But, our correspondent says, it is also probable that some elements have
been angered by Syria providing intelligence to Washington on al-Qaeda.
On the fifth anniversary of the 11 September attacks, al-Qaeda deputy leader
Ayman al-Zawahiri had warned there would be more attacks in Israel and the
Gulf.