http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2579729

Bush Signs Bill on Terror Prosecution

President Bush Signs Law Authorizing Military Trials of Terrorism Suspects

By NEDRA PICKLER

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Some of the most notorious names in the war on terror are
headed toward prosecution after President Bush signed a law Tuesday
authorizing military trials of terrorism suspects.

The legislation also eliminates some of the rights defendants are usually
guaranteed under U.S. law, and it authorizes continued harsh interrogations
of terror suspects.

Imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and awaiting trial are Khalid Sheikh
Mohammed, the accused mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, Ramzi Binalshibh,
an alleged would-be 9/11 hijacker, and Abu Zubaydah, who was believed to be
a link between Osama bin Laden and many al-Qaida cells.

"With the bill I'm about to sign, the men our intelligence officials believe
orchestrated the murder of nearly 3,000 innocent people will face justice,"
Bush said in a White House ceremony.

The Pentagon expects to begin pre-trial motions early next year and to begin
the actual trials in the summer.

The Supreme Court ruled in June that trying detainees in military tribunals
violated U.S. and international law, so Bush urged Congress to change the
law during a speech on Sept. 6 in the White House East Room attended by
families of the Sept. 11, 2001, victims. He also insisted that the law
authorize CIA agents to use tough yet unspecified methods to interrogate
suspected terrorists.

Six weeks later, after a highly publicized dispute with key Republicans over
the terms of the bill, Bush signed the new law "in memory of the victims of
September the 11th."

"It is a rare occasion when a president can sign a bill he knows will save
American lives," Bush said. "I have that privilege this morning."

Civil libertarians and leading Democrats decried the law as a violation of
American values. The American Civil Liberties Union said it was "one of the
worst civil liberties measures ever enacted in American history." Democratic
Sen. Russ Feingold of Wisconsin said, "We will look back on this day as a
stain on our nation's history."

"It allows the government to seize individuals on American soil and detain
them indefinitely with no opportunity to challenge their detention in
court," Feingold said. "And the new law would permit an individual to be
convicted on the basis of coerced testimony and even allow someone convicted
under these rules to be put to death."

The legislation, which sets the rules for court proceedings, applies to
those selected by the military for prosecution and leaves mostly unaffected
the majority of the 14,000 prisoners in U.S. custody, most of whom are in
Iraq. It does apply to 14 suspects who were secretly questioned by the CIA
overseas and recently moved to the U.S. detention center at Guantanamo Bay.

The swift implementation of the law is a rare bit of good news for Bush as
casualties mount in Iraq in daily violence. Lawmakers are increasingly
calling for a change of strategy, and political anxieties are jeopardizing
Republican chances of hanging onto control of Congress.

Bush has been criticizing Democrats who voted against the law, called the
Military Commissions Act of 2006, during campaign appearances around the
country. He has suggested that votes against the law show that Democrats
would not protect the country from another terrorist attack.

Republican House leaders, in a tough battle to maintain their majority,
echoed those criticisms Tuesday in an attempt to get some political points
out of the legislation they supported. "The Democratic plan would gingerly
pamper the terrorists who plan to destroy innocent Americans' lives," House
Speaker Dennis Hastert said.

Bush noted that the law came amid dispute.

"Over the past few months, the debate over this bill has been heated, and
the questions raised can seem complex," he said. "Yet, with the distance of
history, the questions will be narrowed and few: Did this generation of
Americans take the threat seriously? And did we do what it takes to defeat
that threat?"

A coalition of religious groups staged a protest against the bill outside
the White House, shouting "Bush is the terrorist" and "Torture is a crime."
About 15 of the protesters, standing in a light rain, refused orders to
move. Police arrested them one by one.

The legislation says the president can "interpret the meaning and
application" of international standards for prisoner treatment, a provision
intended to allow him to authorize aggressive interrogation methods that
might otherwise be seen as illegal by international courts. Bush said such
measures have helped the CIA gain vital information from terror suspects and
have saved American lives.

After Bush signed the law, CIA Director Mike Hayden sent a note to employees
saying it gives them "the legal clarity and legislative support necessary to
continue a program that has been one of our country's most effective tools
in the fight against terrorism."

"We can be confident that our program remains as it always has been fully
compliant with U.S. law, the Constitution and our international treaty
obligations," Hayden wrote.

The White House has said that disclosing the techniques that are used would
give the enemy information to resist those techniques. White House press
secretary Tony Snow said Bush would probably eventually issue an executive
order that would describe his interpretation of the standards, but those
documents are not usually made public.

Snow rejected the idea that Americans should be able to see and judge the
standards for themselves, particularly in the aftermath of illegal abuses at
the Abu Ghraib prison.

"The only way accountability doesn't exist is if you believe that the
military is not committed to it," Snow said.