http://www.thestar.
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Arti
cle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1161121813330&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060
724>
com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&
cid=1161121813330&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724

Muslim women 'hidden' behind veil: Italian PM

'You can't cover your face ... you must be seen,' Prodi says
Echoes recent remarks made by senior British politician Jack Straw

Oct. 18, 2006. 06:16 AM

STEPHEN BROWN

REUTERS NEWS AGENCY

ROME-Prime Minister Romano Prodi said yesterday that Muslim immigrant women
should not be completely "hidden" behind full veils if they want to
integrate and become part of Italy's future.

Prodi was asked about comments by senior British politician, Jack Straw, a
former foreign secretary and leader of the House of Commons, who recently
sparked vigorous debate in Britain by saying full veils made community
relations "more difficult."

"You can't cover your face. If you have a veil, fine, but you must be seen,"
Prodi said, adding: "This is common sense I think, it is important for our
society. It is not how you dress but if you are hidden or not."

British Prime Minister Tony Blair also weighed in yesterday, calling the
Muslim veil a "mark of separation and that's why it makes other people from
outside the community feel uncomfortable."

Blair said he did not want to ban the veil. "I'm not saying anyone should be
forced to do anything," he told his monthly news conference.

"No one wants to say that people don't have the right to do it. That's to
take it too far.

"But I think we do need to confront this issue about how we integrate people
properly with our society and all the evidence is when people do integrate
more they achieve more as well."

Prodi, a centre-left leader, and former head of the European Commission,
echoed controversial remarks made earlier this month by Straw.

Straw said veils had acted as "a visible statement of separation and
difference."

Like Britain, Italy does not specifically restrict the wearing of the veil,
but it has in the past had laws against covering your face in public for
security reasons.

France, however, has a law banning "conspicuous symbols" of faith such as
Muslim headscarves, Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses, from
schools.

Prodi has angered the centre-right opposition, led by former premier Silvio
Berlusconi, with an immigration policy that proposes to halve an application
period for Italian citizenship to five years, in exchange for observation of
Italian laws.

"The problem is to have clear rules, so that if they behave, if they respect
the law, if they are good citizens, they can become Italian citizens," Prodi
said.

Opinion polls show immigration is the top concern for voters on the
centre-right in Italy, which was very narrowly defeated by Prodi in April's
elections.

But Prodi said it was "a problem not just for right-wing voters, it is a
problem for everybody ... because for the first time a country that was a
country of emigration is a country receiving a wave of immigrants."

But he contrasted his own policy with that of the Berlusconi government, a
coalition that included the hard-right Northern League, which traditionally
takes a tough stand on immigrants.

"The right-wing policy was to close their eyes and let immigrants come in,
(but) be very restrictive in theory. My policy is let us guide immigration,
guarantee immigrants their rights and try to be realistic about this flow of
people."

Italy and some of its southern European neighbours will propose a common EU
immigration policy at a summit in Finland later this week, Prodi said, with
a decision hopefully to be taken at a later summit in Brussels in December.