http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10497

Turncoat or Straitjacket?
By  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Clinton W. Taylor
Published 10/18/2006 12:07:44 AM

People betray their country for several different reasons, most commonly
money or ideology. While many traitors live deeply troubled lives, and a
touch of megalomania and messianic fervor often motivates them, none of the
traitors I am familiar with have been certifiably crazy. Which makes sense,
since an agent worth recruiting by a foreign power needs to be lucid enough
to avoid detection, and stable enough to be entrusted with enough power or
responsibility to betray. That is what makes the case of Susan Lindauer so
unusual.

My first venture into
<http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/taylor200403220910.asp> punditry
dealt with the arrest of Susan Lindauer on
<http://www.spectator.org/bensdiary.asp> various charges, amounting to her
acting as a paid agent for Saddam's intelligence service. Lindauer worked
for several Democratic lawmakers, including Representatives Zoe Lofgren and
Peter DeFazio, and Senators Ron Wyden and Carol Moseley-Braun, and also
wrote for Fortune and U.S. News & World Report. According to her
<http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0311041lind1.html> indictment,
Lindauer worked with Iraqi agents based in New York starting in 1999, and
even met them in Manhattan on September 19, 2001. That's right: eight days
after the atrocity of September 11, Lindauer was allegedly meeting with
enemy intelligence agents somewhere near the ruins of the World Trade
Center. (
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/09/nyregion/09spy.html?ei=5070&en=a48634185b
6a5f64&ex=1159243200&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1159092514-PGgJqajljhwfFV/CxIYlJA>
According to the New York Times, her last job with Congress ceased in 2002,
so she was allegedly working for both the Iraqi government and ours at the
same time.)

She is also charged with flying to Baghdad in 2002 to meet with Iraqi
intelligence agents (who dubbed her "Symbol Susan"), accepting money from
them, and then attempting to influence American foreign policy. Apparently
she contacted a distant relative, then-White House Chief of Staff Andrew
Card, about mediating the crisis between President Bush and Saddam.

After her arrest, it emerged that Lindauer was...not all there. Two
court-appointed doctors found her mentally incompetent and unfit to stand
trial. She was  <http://www.seattleweekly.com/news/0607/lindauer.php>
committed to a Federal hospital in Texas last October. The New York Times
quotes one doctor as finding that

Ms. Lindauer had a history of psychotic episodes going back to her
childhood, possibly at the age of 7, the judge said. These include her
contention that she had gifts of prophecy that allowed her to report 11
bombings before they happened, that she spoke with divine inspiration and
that she was an angel.

In retrospect, that probably shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise.
In a 1998 statement asserting that Syria, not Libya, had ordered the bombing
of Pan Am Flight 103, Lindauer  <http://www.meib.org/articles/0007_me2.htm>
asserted that she had been the victim of some rather unusual harassment:

"Someone put acid on the steering wheel of my car on a day I was supposed to
drive to NYC for a meeting at the Libya House. I scrubbed my hands with a
toilet brush, but my face was burned so badly that 3 weeks later friends
worried I might be badly scarred," Lindauer told MEIB. "Also, my house was
bugged with listening devices and cameras -- little red laser lights in the
shower vent. And I survived several assassination attempts."

(Again: she said this publicly in 1998, when she also admitted to working
with Libyan officials since 1995. Her last job with a Democratic
congressman? 2002.)

What did come as a surprise, however, was that she was freed from custody
last month. She refused to take antipsychotic medication. A judge refused to
order her to be medicated forcibly, and instead ordered her set free.
Another judge will decide whether and how she will stand trial.

If you read the Times account, it would seem like all this fuss was just
about Lindauer's overtures to Andrew Card on behalf of the Iraqi government.
It wasn't. To clarify Lindauer's intent, the FBI also ran a sting with an
undercover agent posing as a Libyan Intelligence operative. According to her
indictment, Lindauer met with him in June 2003 and discussed the need for
foreign nations to support the Iraqi resistance against United States
troops. Then, at this "Libyan agent's" request, she performed "dead drops"
she thought were helping the Iraqi resistance. The timing of these alleged
dead drops was as damning as that of her September 2001 meeting with Iraqi