http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200610/s1774508.htm

Hilaly apologises for offending women

Senior Muslim cleric Sheikh Taj el-Din Al Hilaly has apologised for any
offence caused by a sermon in which he reportedly laid the blame for sexual
assault on women who do not cover their bodies.

The Sydney cleric reportedly compared women to uncovered meat during a
sermon last month.

There has been swift condemnation from politicians, including Prime Minister
John Howard.

Sheikh Hilaly has issued a statement saying he was speaking about the causes
that lead to fornication, and that he condemns rape.

He has unreservedly apologised to any woman offended by his comments,
insisting he only intended to protect women's honour.

In his statement, Sheikh Hilaly says women in Australia have the freedom and
right to dress as they choose.

Condemnation

Earlier, Mr Howard said that if the translation of the Sheikh's sermon last
month was correct, he condemns the remarks unconditionally.

"It's not for me to say what position he should hold within the Islamic
faith," he said.

"But it is for me as Prime Minister to say that I totally reject the notion
that the way in which women dress, the way in which women deport themselves,
can in any way be used as a semblance of a justification for rape," he said.

Mr Howard said the comments were appalling and reprehensible.

"They are quite out of touch with contemporary values in Australia," he
said.

"The idea that women are to blame for rapes is preposterous, it's an
appalling concept."

Democrats Senator Andrew Bartlett says the Sheikh's views do not reflect
those of the broader Muslim community, and should not be used to vilify
Muslim Australians.

"I think it is an overreaction, I mean the Mufti isn't the Pope," he said.

Meanwhile, the president of the Lebanese Moslem Association, Tom Zreika,
says his organisation is reviewing a tape of Sheikh Hilaly's comments.

Mr Zreika says that while that review takes place, the Sheikh should be
given the benefit of the doubt over whether his comments have been correctly
interpreted.

Risk of bias

Earlier, Federal Police Commissioner Mick Keelty said Australia was at risk
of raising a generation of people who are biased against Islam.

Speaking at the South Australian press club, Commissioner Keelty said Sheikh
Hilaly's comments were potentially divisive.

He said it was important to build a strong relationship with the Islamic
community.

"If we don't get a handle on this now, if don't actually teach the values to
future generations that we were brought up with, then we do risk, I think,
having a bigger problem in our future then what we've had in our past," he
said.