http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/26/opinion/26bergen.html?_r=3
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/26/opinion/26bergen.html?_r=3&oref=slogin&or
ef=slogin&oref=slogin> &oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

What Osama Wants

By PETER BERGEN

Published: October 26, 2006

Washington

THE French saying, often attributed to Talleyrand, that "this is worse than
a crime, it's a blunder," could easily describe America's invasion of Iraq.
But for the United States to pull entirely out of that country right now, as
is being demanded by a growing chorus of critics, would be to snatch an
unqualified disaster from the jaws of an enormous blunder.

To understand why, look to history. Vietnam often looms large in the debate
over Iraq, but the better analogy is what happened in Afghanistan since the
Soviet invasion. During the 1980's, Washington poured billions of dollars
into the Afghan resistance. Around the time of Moscow's withdrawal in 1989,
however, the United States shut its embassy in Kabul and largely ignored the
ensuing civil war and the rise of the Taliban and its Qaeda allies. We can't
make the same mistake again in Iraq.

A total withdrawal from Iraq would play into the hands of the jihadist
terrorists. As Osama bin Laden's deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, made clear
shortly after 9/11 in his book "Knights Under the Prophet's Banner," Al
Qaeda's most important short-term strategic goal is to seize control of a
state, or part of a state, somewhere in the Muslim world. "Confronting the
enemies of Islam and launching jihad against them require a Muslim
authority, established on a Muslim land," he wrote. "Without achieving this
goal our actions will mean nothing." Such a jihadist state would be the
ideal launching pad for future attacks on the West.

And there is no riper spot than the Sunni-majority areas of central and
western Iraq. Abu Musab al-Zarqawi - the most feared insurgent commander in
Iraq - was issuing an invitation to Mr. bin Laden when he named his group Al
Qaeda in Iraq. When Mr. Zarqawi was killed this year, his successor, Abu
Hamza al-Muhajer, also swore allegiance to Al Qaeda's chief.

Another problem with a total American withdrawal is that it would fit all
too neatly into Osama bin Laden's master narrative about American foreign
policy. His theme is that America is a paper tiger that cannot tolerate body
bags coming home; to back it up, he cites President Ronald Reagan's 1984
withdrawal of United States troops from Lebanon and President Bill Clinton's
decision nearly a decade later to pull troops from Somalia. A unilateral
pullout from Iraq would only confirm this analysis of American weakness
among his jihadist allies.

Indeed, in 2005 Mr. Zawahri sent Mr. Zarqawi a letter, which was intercepted
by the United States military, exhorting him to start preparing for the
impending American withdrawal similar to that of Vietnam 30 years ago. "The
aftermath of the collapse of American power in Vietnam - and how they ran
and left their agents - is noteworthy," Mr. Zawahri said. "Because of that,
we must be ready starting now, before events overtake us, and before we are
surprised by the conspiracies of the Americans and the United Nations and
their plans to fill the void behind them."

Yes, there is little doubt that the botched American occupation of Iraq was
the critical factor that fueled the Iraqi insurgency. But for the United
States to wash its hands of the country now would give Al Qaeda's leaders
what they want.

This does not mean simply holding course. America should abandon its
pretensions that it can make Iraq a functioning democracy and halt the civil
war. Instead, we should focus on a minimalist definition of our interests in
Iraq, which is to prevent a militant Sunni jihadist mini-state from emerging
and allowing Al Qaeda to regroup.

While withdrawing a substantial number of American troops from Iraq would
probably tamp down the insurgency and should be done as soon as is possible,
a significant force must remain in Iraq for many years to destroy Al Qaeda
in Iraq.

That can be accomplished by making the American presence less visible;
withdrawing American troops to bases in central and western Iraq; and
relying on contingents of Special Forces to hunt militants. To do otherwise
would be to ignore the lessons of history, lessons that Al Qaeda's leaders
certainly haven't forgotten.

Peter Bergen, a senior fellow of the New America Foundation, is the author
of "The Osama bin Laden I Know: An Oral History of Al Qaeda's Leader."