http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0606106.htm

Patriarch hopes papal trip to Turkey will help Orthodox minority

By John Thavis
 <http://www.catholicnews.com/> Catholic News Service

ROME (CNS) -- Global interest in Pope Benedict XVI's upcoming trip to Turkey
has focused on relations with Muslims, especially after the pope's recent
remarks on Islam and the controversy that followed.

But the Nov. 28-Dec. 1 visit also will highlight the tiny but historic Greek
Orthodox community in Turkey and its struggle for religious freedom.

In fact, it was Istanbul-based Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew who
first invited the pope to visit as a demonstration of ongoing dialogue
between the Christians of East and West -- an aspect overshadowed by the
latest controversy with Islam.

In an apparent desire to put ecumenical relations and Christian issues back
on the map, Patriarch Bartholomew recently held meetings with reporters,
outlining his expectations for the papal trip.

"We are awaiting the pope's visit with fraternal love and great
anticipation. It will be very important for our country and for
Catholic-Orthodox relations," the patriarch said in late September.

The tentative papal program includes several events hosted by the ecumenical
patriarchate: vespers, a Divine Liturgy, private talks between the pope and
the patriarch, and the signing of a joint ecumenical declaration.

In these and other encounters, the Orthodox are hoping the pope will raise
the profile of their minority church in Turkey and provide public support
for their religious rights.

"The pope always underlines the principles of religious freedom and human
rights ... which are valid principles for democratic societies. So I think
the pope in his sermon here will speak not only in favor of Catholics but in
favor of all religious minorities," Patriarch Bartholomew said.

The ecumenical patriarch holds a place of special honor among the world's
Orthodox leaders. His flock in Turkey, however, numbers only about 5,000
ethnic Greeks today, following a long exodus of Greek Christians over the
last century. In 1923, when the modern Turkish state was founded, the
country had an estimated 180,000 Greek Orthodox.

The patriarch could pack up and move to Greece, but he has remained, noting
that the patriarchate has been located in Constantinople -- the traditional
name for Istanbul -- since the fourth century. In fact, over the last decade
Patriarch Bartholomew has been rebuilding his church's headquarters in the
Phanar district of Istanbul and expanding its activities.

But the future of the Orthodox Church in Turkey is clouded by a number of
government policies. For one thing, the ecumenical patriarch must be a
Turkish citizen, a requirement that Patriarch Bartholomew has tried
unsuccessfully to have modified. The Orthodox want to be able to elect a
leader from the church's wider membership, in countries ranging from South
Korea to the United States.

Perhaps the most visible church-state issue in Turkey is the patriarchate's
attempts to reopen its seminary on the Turkish island of Heybeli -- better
known among the Orthodox by its Greek name, Halki. The Halki school was
renowned for centuries as an institute of learning, but was closed by the
government in 1971 as part of a general decree against private religious
colleges.

Today, the seminary's classrooms are empty and its hallways are silent,
except for the echoing footsteps of three monks assigned to maintain the
premises.

"In closing this school, the government of Turkey has acted against the
principles of religious freedom and human rights," Patriarch Bartholomew
said.

"The ecumenical patriarchate is the first see in the Orthodox world, and yet
it is the only independent Orthodox church that has no theological school to
prepare its theologians and its clerics. For us, this is unacceptable; it's
an injustice," the patriarch said.

Despite pressure from the European Union and past U.S. administrations, the
Turkish government has given no sign of relenting on the closure of the
Halki school.

One of the clerics who stays at Halki, Deacon Dorotheus, gave reporters a
tour of the vacant premises in late September. He gestured with pride at the
library's shelves full of ancient books and manuscripts, which few if any
students are able to use.

Deacon Dorotheus explained that, in his view, the academy's closure may have
as much to do with Islam as with Christianity. He said those responsible for
Turkey's internal security see private religious schools as a threat to the
secular state.

"If permission is given for this school to reopen, some fanatics of Islam
may want to open their own private religious schools. I hope I am mistaken,
because if I am not mistaken we will have to wait another 35 years to reopen
this school," Deacon Dorotheus said.

The patriarchate has had other properties, including a historic orphanage,
confiscated by the state.

The Orthodox church has pinned most of its hopes for religious rights on the
possible entry of Turkey into the European Union, which it believes will
help give minority religions some political leverage.

"Regarding the problems for our community and for other religious minorities
in Turkey, we nurture the hope that Turkey's 'European process' will resolve
them one after another," Patriarch Bartholomew said.

"The members of the European Union are asking our country to respect these
(religious) principles and rights, and I think a lay, democratic state like
Turkey should respect and apply them," the patriarch said.

But so far, the Turkish government has shown little response to European
pressure on the Orthodox church issues. And, in a development that worries
the country's Christians, support for EU entry has plummeted in recent
months among the Turkish population.

While the Orthodox expect Pope Benedict to defend religious freedom, the
pope's own views on Turkish admission to the European Union complicate the
issue. As a cardinal, he spoke out against Turkish entry, saying it did not
make historical sense; since his election as pope, however, the Vatican has
been careful to emphasize its neutrality on the question.

Even as the focus of the papal visit has shifted to Islam, Orthodox leaders
say the Christian unity aspect of the trip remains crucial.

Deacon Ioakim, 34, who follows legal issues at the patriarchate, said the
pope's presence will underline his church's ties with global Christianity.
He said he expects the pope's words about the minority Christian community
in Turkey to carry some weight.

"After all, he is not just any visitor. He is the head of the Roman Catholic
Church," he said.