Thought this was worth passing around as anyone can become a victim to this
little known secret. A good alarm system and a large dog are good deterrents
too.

http://www.wesh.com/news/10224422/detail.html?taf=orl

Thieves Using Secret Weapons To Break Into Homes

POSTED: 4:09 pm EST November 2, 2006

UPDATED: 11:38 pm EST November 2, 2006

Many people have been reporting that thieves broke in; stole their TVs,
stereos, computers and cash; and then disappeared, leaving no trace they
were even there.

WESH 2 I-Team reporter Stephen Stock has uncovered a pattern of these crimes
popping up across Central Florida, and he reported that every homeowner
needs to take action right now.

It's a phenomenon about which even the police know little. It's one that's
been kept a dirty little secret among thieves, locksmiths and experts for
decades.

But it's now coming to light thanks to the Internet, and it could cost
people the loss of everything they own if they don't take precautions.

This summer, newlyweds Glynda and Jerry Arroyo's new life in paradise
suddenly was stolen.

"A week in, I get robbed. I said, 'I want to go home,'" Glynda Arroyo said.

A burglar broke into their Courtney Springs apartment, taking more than
$5,000 worth of possessions.

"Two Apple computers, an antique necklace (that's) irreplaceable," Glynda
Arroyo said.

Across the hall, Nathan and Karrie Jensen discovered that they too had been
hit.

"It kind of feels (like we were) violated," Karrie Jensen said.

"It's kind of crappy," Nathan Jensen said.

"Like, you feel that you had no control over the situation," Karrie Jensen
said.

Fifty miles away, a thief took $2,000 worth of Mike Kuftic's stuff.

"I couldn't believe that somebody could just be able to walk right in here
like nothing was happening, and nobody knew it was happening," he said.

In fact, from Port Orange to Winter Springs and from Orange City to
Clearwater, the I-Team has uncovered a pattern of burglaries stretching
across Central Florida.

At least 50 different Central Florida apartments and homes were burglarized
during the last year alone -- often in the middle of the day.

The most the thief took was $29,000 worth of possessions from a local
apartment.

"They were all consistent. All the burglaries were the same," said Capt.
Mike Nolan of the Winter Springs Police Department.

And each time the burglar left behind nothing, no trace that the crook had
even been there. The windows were intact, doors were untouched and the locks
weren't picked.

Police believe the burglars did it with something called a bump key. It's a
key that is specially made and ground down just right. It can open nearly
every mechanical lock ever made.

"This is something that we need to take very seriously," said Cmdr. Tim
Girard of the Port Orange Police Department.

But for more than 50 years, the bump key has remained a well-kept secret
among burglars and locksmiths.

In fact, until, most experts didn't want the public to know about bump keys
because once they learn the technique, they can break into just about any
mechanical lock in seconds.

"It is really, really easy," said Seth Posner of AA Loc Doc in Ocala. "If
you do it right, no lock can stop you. And that's the scary part."

Many people wouldn't be able to spot a bump key if they had it in their
hand.

To the untrained eye, a set of bump keys looks no different than regular
keys, but in the wrong hands, they could open millions of locks all around
the world.

"Bump key. I didn't know what a bump key was until now," Nathan Jensen said.

Jensen isn't alone. Many police departments are in the dark, too.

In fact, when the I-Team checked with two dozen property crime detectives,
only three of them had even heard of a bump key.

So little is known in the law enforcement community about bump-keying that
the I-Team had to search all the way to Camden, S.C., to find one of the
world's foremost authority on the practice.

"This was the old hotel thief's trick," said Lee Griggs.

Griggs guards all of the secrets about bump keys in his home office in South
Carolina.

"It takes practice," he said.

"But no real skill?" Stock asked.

"No real skill," Griggs said.

"You were doing it when you were 12?" Stock asked.

"Yeah," Griggs said.

He said the technique is so easy that he could spend three minutes showing a
child on the street how to use it and the child could do it right away.

Griggs is a forensic locksmith. He has testified as an expert in trials
around the country.

In fact, police said it was Griggs who looked at locks from burglarized
apartments in Central Florida, and he was the one who first alerted police
that a bump key thief was at work burglarizing apartments and homes like in
communities from Clearwater to Ormond Beach.

"It's troubling, isn't it?" Stock asked Girard.

"It is because it represents a real threat -- a threat that is kind of new,
that is difficult to adjust to quickly," Girard said.

The experts said people need to make adjustments to take precautions now.

"You're not the only one with a key to your house, and you need to realize
that," Glynda Arroyo said.

Police believe a security camera in one Pinellas County apartment actually
caught several pictures of the bump key thief. Police said he may have been
involved in Port Orange and Winter Springs bump key burglaries.

So, what can you do to protect yourself from a bump key thief?

Posner had three recommendations.

First of all, on all of your important locks, replace them with electronic
or an electronic/mechanical combination. These locks cannot be bumped.

Another option is to use simple sliding bolts on all of your interior doors.
Then, leave through your garage by closing your electronic garage door
behind you.

An even easier and cheaper option -- and probably the best one for apartment
renters -- is to spray some WD-40 into the lock. This lubricates the pins,
and while it doesn't make the lock bump-proof, it does enable the pins to
move more freely and make it more difficult for a thief to actually bump the
lock.

To add insult to injury, there have been cases where victims of bump keys
ran into problems with their insurance company. Since bump key thieves leave
no trace of a forced entry, some insurance companies have refused to pay.

The companies said there is no evidence the victims didn't fake the
robberies and commit insurance fraud.

So, police said if you ever fall victim to a bump key thief, don't hesitate
to call police and get an official investigator's report on record.

Anyone with any information about the bump key thieves is urged to call
CrimeLine at 800-423-TIPS.