http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/middleeast/2006
/November/middleeast_November42.xml
<http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/middleeast/200
6/November/middleeast_November42.xml&section=middleeast> &section=middleeast

Women act as human shields to free gunmen from Gaza mosque
(AFP)

BEIT HANUN, Gaza Strip - Palestinian mothers and wives braved Israeli
helicopter gunships on Friday to rescue 15 fighters besieged in a northern
Gaza mosque, using their heavily veiled bodies as human shields.

"We risked our lives to free our sons," said Um Mohammed, a woman in her
40s, after the daring rescue that followed protests against a bloody Israeli
operation in the northern Gaza Strip that has killed 24 Palestinians.

Militants from various armed groups, including Hamas, had been besieged in
the al-Nasr mosque since Thursday, seeking protection from Operation Autumn
Clouds, one of the biggest Israeli incursions in Gaza for the past four
months.

Braving gunfire and tanks, around 400 women and other demonstrators gathered
to protest against the Israelis at one of the entrances to the town. Three
of them, one a woman, were killed and another 25 people were wounded, medics
said.

Around 200 women then left the main protest to march on and enter the mosque
around 700 metres (yards) away to collect the gunmen, before walking out
again, cloaking the fighters in the middle of their heavily veiled ranks.

None of the gunmen could be seen amid the dozens of women, who were dressed
for the most part from head to toe in black in the religiously conservative
Gaza Strip.

Throughout the rescue bid, Israeli helicopter gunships opened fire -- not
specifically at the women, but intending to scare them and separate their
ranks, but without success. Two women were wounded, medics said.

A source in Hamas confirmed that its armed wing had orchestrated what he
called a "complex security operation" to secure the release of the besieged
fighters.

The women and fighters they were protecting ran as far as Izbat Beit Hanun,
an area northwest of the town not being occupied by Israeli army.

"Hundreds of us entered the mosque and surrounded the resistance fighters to
protect them," said one of the women, 21-year-old Nidaa al-Radih.

One rescued fighter was triumphant. "We are free, we are free!"  he shouted
before running off to safety.

Elderly Palestinians and children are still holed up inside the mosque,
where the compound wall and entrance gate have been partially destroyed by
Israeli shellfire and bulldozers, witnesses said.

An army spokeswoman said that large demonstrations of around 3,000 people,
mostly women, had been orchestrated by Hamas in order to provide cover for
gunmen wanting to escape from the mosque.

"There are a number of incidents in which the forces identified armed gunmen
and fired at armed gunmen. We are checking claims that women were hit in
these demonstrations. At the moment we can't confirm anything," she said.