http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061202/LOCAL19/61202050
2/-1/ZONES04

Homeland security chief tours state's anti-terror center

Office that coordinates crime-fighting efforts will more than double size of
staff by January

By Will Higgins

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

December 2, 2006

The Indiana Intelligence Fusion Center, the state's newest crime-fighting
tool, expects to add 17 employees by January, more than doubling the size of
the fledgling agency.

On Friday, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff
toured the fusion center's office, launched in March, and spoke afterward
about its importance. "I see this as one of a network of fusion centers
working together to spot trends or actual conspiracies," Chertoff said.
"Their job is to connect the dots, to anticipate and prevent attacks on the
homeland."

Indiana is one of about 20 state fusion centers across the country, with
others set to open soon. The center was created by the Indiana General
Assembly and an executive order by Gov. Mitch Daniels to coordinate
anti-terrorism efforts among regional and local law enforcement agencies by
analyzing data in search of crimes that may be developing.

Indiana's fusion center, like those in other states, gives Homeland Security
a sort of one-stop shop for terrorism-related information in Indiana. The
center does the same for the hundreds of law enforcement agencies in
Indiana.

"Say the Fort Wayne Fire Department has a 'white powder event.' They call
us, so we have a record of that. So, say Evansville then calls with a 'white
powder event.' Now we've got two dots to work with," said center head Monte
McKee.

He said some tips come directly from the public. He declined to say how
often the phone rings but said his staffers are busy. He said that after the
new hires come aboard, the center would be open 24 hours a day every day.

Fusion staffers monitor law enforcement Web sites, looking for patterns that
could suggest looming trouble.

The local group also will target other, more mundane crimes, such as
methamphetamine distribution.

The center's staff is all on loan from local, state and federal law
enforcement agencies. Salaries are paid by their respective agencies.

The center is funded by a $3.75 million grant from the U.S. Department of
Homeland Security, part of $380 million the department has given to cities
for similar operations.