http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/hamas-promises-to-dress-up-bethlehem-for-xmas/2006/12/12/1165685657342.html

Hamas promises to dress up Bethlehem for Xmas

Islamic militants may be in charge, but that doesn't mean there won't be
Christmas in Bethlehem this year.

The cash-strapped Hamas government is promising $US50,000 ($A64,000) to
dress up Jesus's traditional birthplace for Christmas, more than twice
the amount spent in previous years.

Yet even the extra cash - if Hamas pays up - may not be enough to bring
Christmas cheer to Bethlehem, hit hard by the past six years of
Israeli-Palestinian fighting.

The biblical town is now walled in by Israel's West Bank separation
barrier, poverty is deepening and Christians are leaving Bethlehem in
droves.

Palestinian Tourism Minister Joudeh Morkos has modest expectations.

Last year, only about 2,500 foreign visitors came to the city at
Christmas time, but he's counting on the usual busloads of Christians
from Arab towns in Israel to boost turnout. Before the outbreak of the
Palestinian uprising in 2000, Bethlehem drew more than 90,000 pilgrims a
month.

With just two weeks until Christmas, Bethlehem is only sparsely decorated.

Bethlehem Mayor Victor Batarseh, a churchgoing Catholic from a leftist
party, said he won't start decorating until he has the money in hand.

A few neon stars are nailed to storefronts on the main streets. The only
decoration on the Lutheran Christmas Church in a busy market area is
spray-painted graffiti below the pointed steeple that reads "Islamic
Jihad" - a Muslim militant group.

In Manger Square, next to the Church of the Nativity, built over Jesus's
traditional birthplace, only two of six souvenir shops and a small cafe
were open on a recent afternoon. Many other nearby shops were closed as
well. A few tourists who sat outside a cafe, braving the dreary weather,
were thronged by peddlers trying to sell olive wood crucifixes.

Local businesses are suffering.

Abir Karram, who sells traditional hand-embroidered Palestinian dresses,
can no longer afford to pay the 700 shekel ($A147) monthly rent for her
workshop. Two years ago, she had 30 women working part time for her,
designing and embroidering gowns using ancient patterns. Now she has no
workers.

Karram and other merchants say six years of economic hardship during the
violence, including Israeli travel bans, have been compounded by an
international economic boycott of the government, imposed 10 months ago
when Hamas came to power. The militant group has struggled to pay
salaries to 165,000 public servants, who are the backbone of the economy.

"The wall stopped tourists and Arabs from Israel," she said, referring
to the separation barrier, which is meant to stop Palestinian suicide
bombings, but also cuts across Bethlehem's main trade artery.

"Now people here have no salaries. It's like a well that finished
drawing water," Karram said.

The economic squeeze has driven away growing numbers of Christians,
already a minority of 35 per cent in this town of 30,000.

Bethlehem resident Mike Salman, an amateur chronicler of Christian
affairs, said about 20 per cent of the town's 1,000 Catholic families
have left in the past six years. Salman said he's seen a similar rate of
emigration from other Christian denominations.

A 2004 UN report estimated about 10 per cent of Christians had left.

Amal Bandak, 39, a Christian, said her family of five wants to return to
Chile, their home until two years ago. The Bandaks had come back to
Bethlehem because her husband needed a back operation, more affordable
in the West Bank.

Amal's daughters, 13 and 17, will have what should be a storybook
Christmas, marching in the traditional Girl Scouts parade and attending
services at the Church of the Nativity.

Yet they enjoyed the holiday more in Chile, she said.

"I used to tell the children of all the wonderful things that happen
here at Christmas, how everybody comes to town, the family visits. But
last Christmas, they went to sleep weeping. They said it was the saddest
Christmas they ever had. It broke my heart," she said.

Hamas's generous promise of funding has drawn mixed reactions among
local Christians.

Some said they suspect the Islamic militants hoped to score a few points
with the international community. "It's just for show," said one elderly
woman who asked not be named, fearing retribution.

Salman, a Palestinian Catholic, said Hamas should have given the money
to the poor, but it was a sign of goodwill. "I appreciate it, because
Bethlehem is the symbol of peace," he said.

The acting finance minister, Samir Abu Eisha of Hamas, said he'll write
the $US50,000 ($A64,000) cheque in the coming days.

Last year, the outgoing government run by Hamas's archrival, the Fatah
movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, didn't give Bethlehem
any money and the town had to rely mostly on international donations.
The year before, it received $US20,000 ($A26,000) from the government.

"We don't fund any Islamic celebrations, but we want to fund this
Christian festival, which is a special part of Bethlehem," said Abu
Eisha. "As a Palestinian government, we hope our Christian brothers have
a happy celebration. They are an integral part of Palestinian society."

+++