http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\12\12\story_12-12-2006_pg4_3

Shared intelligence prevented terror attacks: Malaysia

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia on Monday said sharing quality intelligence with
Indonesia had prevented militants from launching any major regional
terror attacks since the second Bali bomb blast last year. "Malaysia and
Indonesia are quite pleased with the situation. There are many factors
behind it," Malaysia's Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak said. "One of
the factors is that we have been able to have quality preemptive
intelligence reports to nip it in the bud," he told reporters. A triple
suicide bombing last October on the resort island of Bali in Indonesia
killed 20 people and the bombers. Najib, who is also the defence
minister, said by obtaining intelligence early, authorities could detect
groups that plan to conduct "acts of terrorism" long before they are
able to do anything. He cited the example of Malaysian police's move
against a local terror group, Darul Islam, in the eastern Sabah state
before it could mount an attack. "One example of the success is the
uncovering of the militant group Darul Islam in Sabah. This is an
example of the preemptive work we have done," he said. Malaysian police
in May said they had crushed the militant group's underground network,
which had collaborated with Indonesian militants, through multiple
arrests between March and April. afp

+++