http://www.kuna.net.kw/Home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=933568

POL-US-LEBANON-SYRIA
US blames Syria for blocking progress in Lebanon on Shebaa Farms issue

WASHINGTON, Dec 12 (KUNA) -- Responding to remarks by Lebanese Prime
Minister Fouad Siniora that he was not receiving concrete support from
the US as he tries to keep his embattled government in place, State
Department spokesman Sean McCormack Tuesday said one key problem is that
Syria is blocking resolution of the Shebaa Farms issue.

About 14 kilometers long and 2.5 kilometers wide, the cluster of 14
abandoned farms has been a flash point for violence since Israel
withdrew from Lebanon in May 2000.

The United Nations designated the area a part of Syria, currently
occupied by Israel. But Hezbollah says it is Lebanese territory that
Israel continues to occupy. Hezbollah has repeatedly targeted Israeli
troops patrolling the area.

"It is a difficult situation in Lebanon right now, and I can understand
the desire of Prime Minister Siniora to move forward and solve some
problems," McCormack said during a briefing. "One big problem that he
sees and that he has on his plate is the issue of Shebaa Farms. I
understand his desire to resolve that issue. Right now it is very
complicated, gets into maps and which ones are valid, which ones are
not." But fundamentally it boils down to one point, McCormack said, "and
the biggest single obstacle to resolving the Shebaa Farms issue right
now is Syria.

" UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan and other UN powers "have drawn
certain lines" regarding the territory, McCormack said.

"There is a process that everybody agreed would be a step along the way
to resolving the situation," he added. "And to this point, Syria has not
moved at all in trying to resolve the situation. So they are the single
biggest stumbling block, actually." If there is anything the United
States can do to help resolve the situation, McCormack said, "we will
try to do what we can. But Syria is the stumbling block right now."
Regarding the effort by Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa to
broker a compromise that would defuse the political crisis in Lebanon,
in which hundreds of thousands of Hezbollah backers are calling for the
Siniora government to step down, McCormack said that "ultimately, this
needs to be the Lebanese that come to any solution. Maybe there are some
outside ideas that may be flowing in. That is fine. But fundamentally,
they (the Lebanese) have to decide what is the political way out from
the current situation." It is not a matter for the United States to
support the Moussa effort or not, McCormack said.

"It is a matter for the Lebanese government led by Prime Minister
Siniora to assess whether or not there is any merit in the ideas, and if
so, to act on it," McCormack said. "But that is completely a decision
for the Lebanese government to make." (end) rm.
bs

+++