http://www.kuna.net.kw/Home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=933703

POL-UK-IRAQ-BECKETT
UK Government "needs to reassess Iraq policy" -- Beckett

LONDON, Dec 13 (KUNA) -- The British Government must consider whether a
change of policy is needed in Iraq, Britains Foreign Secretary Margaret
Beckett said Wednesday.

But she insisted there had been security improvements in areas of
British-controlled Basra and cited the recent Iraq Study Group's warning
that there was "no magic formula." Asked whether a new policy was
required on Iraq, she told BBC domestic radio "I agree that we need to
reassess whether change is needed. But can I remind you that the Iraq
Study Group says there is no magic formula." Her comments came as it
emerged that US President George W Bush has delayed an announcement on a
possible change of policy in the light of the Iraq Study Group report,
published last week.

Beckett denied that Britain was waiting to take its lead from
Washington, saying "No doubt there will be discussions in the American
Government. There are and will be discussions in our Government and we
will come to our own conclusions." British Prime Minister Tony Blair
indicated yesterday that moves towards withdrawal would take place more
quickly in Basra than US-controlled Baghdad, where much of the violence
is concentrated.

The Foreign Secretary stressed today the difference in circumstances
between Baghdad and Basra.

"The situation in Baghdad is unquestionably extremely difficult," she
said, adding that the capital accounted for 80 percent of the violence.

She went on "A lot of work is being undertaken in Basra with an enormous
contribution from the British Army. There are many areas of Basra where,
yes, things are better (than six months ago)." Beckett said the British
Governments aim in Iraq was to ensure there was an administration which
could manage security and was "in charge of events." But she conceded
that there were some areas where the Iraqi Government was struggling to
assert its authority.

The Foreign Secretary called for an intensification in the process of
reconciliation, but warned that the actions of Iraqs neighbours were
having "catastrophic" consequences for the country.

She insisted, however, that a strong, stable Iraq was "absolutely
possible." Responding to predictions that Iraq could break up into three
different parts, Beckett said "There is nothing in the present
circumstances that says that has to be the outcome."(end) he.
rk

KUNA 131307 Dec 06NNNN

+++