http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/19/AR2006121901946.html

FBI Chief for Md. Faces Balancing Act
Chase Sees Need To Bolster Fight On Crime, Terror

By Eric Rich
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, December 21, 2006; Page T03

After running down fugitives in the District and pursuing one of the
nation's most storied fugitives, William D. Chase is settling in as the
head of the FBI's Baltimore office.

Chase, 50, who assumed the job in June, says that while counterterrorism
remains the bureau's top priority, he also wants to dedicate more
resources to fighting crime, the bureau's traditional role.

"I'm hoping to make some changes to firm up resources to better address
the criminal program," Chase said.

Since the terrorist attacks of 2001, the bureau's top priority has been
fighting terrorism, and that is more the case in the Washington area,
with its preponderance of government facilities, than elsewhere. The
majority of Chase's agents necessarily are assigned to that central
responsibility; his agents must follow tips and possible leads of all
kinds, even hoaxes, often simply to eliminate them.

Still, he said, he hopes to work more closely with state and local
authorities, particularly to address the gang activity that has
increasingly taken root in Maryland's Washington suburbs. The Baltimore
FBI office covers Maryland and Delaware.

The FBI announced in February that Kevin L. Perkins, then the special
agent in charge of the bureau's Baltimore office, was being appointed
assistant director in charge of the FBI's finance division.

Chase replaced him during the summer. Federal law enforcement officials,
including U.S. Attorney Rod J. Rosenstein, spoke highly of Chase in
recent interviews.

Rosenstein, the top federal prosecutor in Maryland, said he and Chase
agree that the Baltimore division must be appropriately mindful of the
need to balance counterterrorism activities with the bureau's more
traditional crime-fighting role.

"I think he's a very experienced and very responsible leader, and I
think we're going to work very effectively together," Rosenstein said.

Clare Weber, a spokeswoman for the Baltimore division of the Bureau of
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said her agency has worked
well with the bureau under Chase. "It's just a good partnership," she
said. "Everything is all glowing."

Chase comes to the position with an unusual r?sum?, having started his
professional career as a corporate attorney specializing in
environmental law. It was "very unfulfilling," said Chase, a graduate of
Vermont Law School and a self-described environmentalist.

But Chase had an uncle who was an agent, and over dinner that uncle told
stories that intrigued the young lawyer more than a little bit. Chase
applied to the bureau "kind of on a whim."

Chase was accepted, and soon he was assigned to St. Louis, where he
battled organized crime and drug-trafficking, working closely with local
authorities in some of the same ways he hopes his agents do here.

But he was a lawyer, and before long the FBI decided it wanted him in
headquarters. He worked in the office of legal counsel from 1986 to
1991, when he was named special assistant to William S. Sessions, then
the director of the FBI.

"I came to the bureau to get out of being an attorney, and three years
later I was back to being an attorney," he said.

But Chase said he missed doing what the FBI does on the ground level:
working cases. He joined the Washington field office in 1993, where he
was the head of a fugitive task force. The ratio of paperwork to arrests
was very good, he said.

"It was kind of like a law enforcement officer's dream," he said. "We'd
hit 10 places a day . . . and usually every arrest was high stress."

The team looked for fugitives anywhere that one could hide -- in
dishwashers, in refrigerators -- and looked for such tell-tale signs as
loose ceiling tiles. In one instance, he said, a fugitive was found
hiding behind a disposal.

In the late 1990s, Chase was named assistant special agent in charge of
the Boston office, a period that he recalls as frustrating and in some
ways disappointing.

That office, and much of that city, was seemingly fixated on the
bureau's long-running search for James "Whitey" Bulger, a reputed
mobster and fugitive for more than a decade. It was around that time
that the public learned, in an extremely embarrassing moment for the
bureau, that the suspected multiple-murderer also had been an FBI
informant. Possible sightings were everywhere, from Thailand to South
America, and each had to be explored. Bulger remains at large.

The Boston office also came under public scrutiny in what may be one of
the FBI's most embarrassing revelations in recent history, that one of
its agents had been an informant for the mob.

And Chase was in Boston on Sept. 11 -- his birthday, incidentally --
when two airplanes slammed into the World Trade Center after leaving
Logan International Airport. What first seemed to be a hijacking was
quickly revealed to be a terrorist attack, and the bureau's mission was
recast in a sprint to prevent a feared second wave of attacks.

"I still remember that night," Chase said. "I got home, it was probably
2 in the morning and I turned on the television and I was still watching
it at 5 a.m."

Everyone worked every day for two months, he said, and eventually,
agents were told they had to take a half-day off on the weekend.

The fear that a second wave would follow immediately belongs to a
different era, but in some respects, of course, the concern persists.

"Our mission is that there never be a recurrence of 9/11," Chase said.

+++