http://paktribune.com/news/index.shtml?163738

Pak rejects machinations that link terrorism to Islam: Aziz

Thursday December 21, 2006 (0415 PST)

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz Wednesday said Pakistan and
Bahrain are allies in confronting the specter of terrorism because it is
a threat to all faiths and societies and we reject terrorism in all its
forms and manifestations.

"We also reject those machinations that link terrorism to Islam, a faith
of peace and compassion. The need of the time is to bridge this perilous
divide between Islam and the West through inter-faith harmony and
inter-civilizational understanding," he observed this while addressing
the Banquet he hosted in honor of Crown Prince Sheikh Salman bin Hamad
Al-Khalifa and Commander-in-Chief of Bahrain Defence Forces.

The premier said it is also incumbent upon the international community
to address the root causes of terrorism, and facilitate just and lasting
resolution of longstanding conflicts in the Muslim world, such as
Palestine and Kashmir. On the other hand, reformation of Muslim
societies through education and social reforms is also of paramount
importance.

In pursuit of these objectives, President Musharraf has advocated the
concept of "enlightened moderation" and we have called for grater unity
within the Muslim Ummah in order to meet the challenges that we face today.

He went on to say that Pakistan attaches great importance to a secure
and stable Middle East. We believe that this cannot be achieved without
a just solution of the Palestinian issue. We urge the international
community to facilitate an early resolution of this festering conflict,
and to help improve the economic conditions in the Palestinian territories.

The deteriorating security situation in Iraq is source of great concern
to us in Pakistan. It is our hope that the incumbent government of Iraq
would be able to unite all factions of the Iraqi society, and would
bring stability and security for the people of Iraq. The international
community has a common stake in the unity, national reconciliation and
territorial integrity of Iraq.

The prime minister said Pakistan strongly favours peace, security and
prosperity in the gulf region. We welcome the decisions of the GCC
summit held recently and will continue to work with our brothers in the
gulf countries for our mutual interests.

In our region, he said Pakistan remains committed to the process of
confidence building with our neighbor, India. Kashmir remains the core
dispute between the two countries and requires a solution based on the
wishes and aspirations of the Kashmiri people. We firmly believe that
progress on all contentious issues, including Kashmir, must move in
tandem with the other efforts directed towards normalization of
relations between Pakistan and India.

On our Western borders, a strong and stable Afghanistan is of strategic
importance to us. We will continue to support initiatives aimed at
strengthening peace, harmony and development in Afghanistan. The
international community must also live up to its commitments to ensure
reconstruction, rehabilitation and development in Afghanistan. It must
also help in efforts to eradiate the drug menace in Afghanistan.

He also said that Pakistan is keen to further expand its fraternal
relations with Bahrain and raise them to a higher plane for the mutual
benefit of our two countries.

"We are cognizant of the enormous potential for greater bilateral
cooperation in areas such as trade, investments, joint business ventures
defence, culture and education , among others," he observed.

He said: "I take this opportunity to express our admiration for the
far-reaching achievements of Bahrain in the fields of economy, education
and tourism. This indeed is based on the vision for progress and
prosperity that His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa has lad out
for Bahrain. His Majesty's sagacious leadership has made Bahrain an
open, enlightened and pluralistic country. We in Pakistan compliment the
dedicated efforts being made in the Kingdom to empower women, promote
the welfare of youth and to create equal opportunities for all sections
of the society."

In Pakistan as well, our government has implemented board-based
multi-sectoral reforms that have repositioned and revitalized Pakistan
on the world stage.

Pakistan, he said is a strong and stable country endowed with rich human
and material resources, with a population of 160 million people and a
growing middle class. Our strategic location at the confluence of three
vital regions of Asia enables us to play a pre-eminent role and maintain
strong links with our Arab and Muslim brothers from West Asia to Central
Asia. Our economic reforms over the past seven years have ensured an
average annual growth of 7% , which makes Pakistan one of the fastest
growing economies in Asia. As a result our per capita income has growth
while poverty levels have fallen. At the same time our exports have
risen along with an unprecedented increase in Foreign Direct Investment.

Consequently, Pakistan's upward growth trajectory offers vast
opportunities for trade, investment and joint ventures between Pakistan
and Bahrain.

+++