http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-234/0612210047095020.htm

Iran-Pakistan- Afghanistan friendly ties to ensure regional security -
president

Wednesday in a meeting with Pak Foreign Minister that strengthening
friendly ties among Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan would ensure regional
peace and security.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who is on his 23rd provincial visit in
this northwestern provincial capital, added in his meeting with Khurshid
Ahmad Khan Kasuri at Kermanshah Governorate
Headquarters, "The regional countries have shared destinies and
interests, which is a good reason for maintaining friendly attitude with
one another."
He added, "Some corrupt and opportunist groups try to foment tension,
promote insecurity, cultivate narcotics, smuggle them, and generally
speaking, create crises in the region in a bid to secure the interests
of the global arrogance and neo-colonialist powers." The president
reiterated, "The regional countries are faced with many shared threats
and hazards, that can be warded off through stronger consultations among
their leaders and top officials." Focusing on Peace Pipeline,
Ahmadinejad said, "Construction of the natural gas pipeline from Iran,
through Pakistan, to India would not only lead to strengthening the
friendly ties among our three countries, but also to decrease tensions
in the entire region." He added, "The construction of the Peace Pipeline
would for instance lead to lowering the lingering tensions between India
and Pakistan, which is one of the reasons why Iran promotes reaching a
trilateral comprehensive agreement on the issue."
The IRI President considered the role of two great and influential
Islamic countries, Iran and Pakistan in regional, international, and
particularly Islamic World developments as "very significant".

He added, "In order to play such an important role most effectively we
need to have stronger interactions and maintain constant bilateral talks."
Ahmadinejad said, "The Islamic Republic of Iran is interested in
advancement and security of the Pak nation and is sure that our
Pakistani friends, too, would never permit the enemies to harm our two
countries excellent relations."
Pakistan's Minister of Foreign Affairs, too, said at the meeting in the
presence of his Iranian counterpart Manouchehr Mottaki that Islamabad
attaches great importance to good and strong relations with the Islamic
Republic of Iran."
Khurshid Ahmad Khan Kasuri emphasized that Pakistan is determined to
finalize the Peace Pipeline contract with Iran and India, adding,
"Pakistan would under no circumstances permit the other countries and
particularly the outsider powers to influence Tehran-Islamabad relations."
He added, "Pakistan feels quite responsible for playing its positive
role in maintaining regional peace and stability." Pointing out his
affiliated government's opposition towards US invasion of Iraq and
sending no forces to that country despite repeated US requests, Kasuri
elaborated on Islamabad's stands towards latest regional developments,
particularly those related to Pakistan-Afghanistan relations.

He said, "The existence of a strong and united Afghanistan is to the
benefit of Pakistan and Islamabad supports securing Afghanistan's
territorial integrity and reconstruction movement."
The Pak FM further stressed, "Islamabad also favors strengthening
regional peace and security, particularly in all its neighboring countries.

He added, "Pakistan is displeased with the presence of some extremist
terrorist groups that favor aggressive moves, foment instability,
promote poppy cultivation and narcotic drugs trafficking, particularly
in Afghanistan."
Kasuri said, "We consider such groups a threat against our national
security and Islamabad is ready for cooperation with Afghanistan for
countering them."
2329/1771

+++