http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article2099981.ece

British jubilant as Taliban leader in south Afghanistan killed in air strike
United States military says that Mullah Osmani is the highest-ranking
insurgency chief to be killed
By Raymond Whitaker
Published: 24 December 2006

Britain and its Nato allies claimed a major victory over Taliban
insurgents in southern Afghanistan yesterday as US forces reported that
the Taliban's military chief in the region had been killed in an air strike.

Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Osmani, one of the Taliban's most senior leaders,
with close links to Osama bin Laden, was said to have died on Tuesday in
Helmand province, the scene of bitter fighting involving British troops
last summer. Mullah Mohammad Omar, the Taliban's shadowy leader, who
like bin Laden remains at large, declared Osmani his heir in 2001.

A US military spokesman, Colonel Tom Collins, said the Taliban leader
was killed, along with two associates, when their car was destroyed on
an isolated desert road. "Mullah Osmani is the highest-ranking Taliban
leader that we've ever killed," he said. "His death is very significant,
and will hit the Taliban's operations." He commanded the Taliban in its
southern heartland, including Helmand and Kandahar provinces, during the
heaviest fighting Afghanistan has seen since the Taliban and its
al-Qa'ida allies were ousted from power in 2001.

Britain significantly increased its military commitment in the country
earlier this year, with the deployment of 4,000 troops in Helmand. Until
2006 only two British soldiers had been killed in combat in Afghanistan,
but 19 more have died in Helmand in recent months. British commanders
will hope that the removal of one of the Taliban's top figures might
disrupt the movement's resurgence, and weaken the spring offensive
expected after the traditional lull in fighting during the Afghan winter.

The Taliban immediately denied that Mullah Osmani was dead, saying he
was elsewhere in Afghanistan. A purported spokesman for the movement,
Qari Yousef Ahmadi, said the air strike killed Mullah Abdul Zahir, a
group commander, and three other Taliban fighters. There was no
immediate confirmation from Afghan officials, or visual proof of the
claim, but Col Collins said the US had withheld the news for four days
while it checked intelligence and other sources to confirm the leader's
identity.

"We're sure that we killed Osmani," he said. "It's a big loss for the
Taliban. But the Taliban is also fairly adaptive. There is no doubt that
they will put somebody else in that position, and we will go after that
person too."

The spokesman added that Mullah Osmani had been "utilising both sides"
of the Afghan-Pakistan border and that the US military had been tracking
him for some time. "When the time was right, and we thought we had a
good chance of hitting him without causing any harm to civilians, we
struck."

Mullah Osmani was one of three deputies to Mullah Omar, in charge of the
Taliban's finances. Ahmed Rashid, a leading expert on the movement, said
his death would be the first casualty among the Taliban's top leadership
in five years. Regarded as highly ideological, he was instrumental in
some of the most notorious excesses of Taliban rule, such as the
destruction of the ancient Buddha statues in Bamian and the trial of
Christian aid workers in 2001.

During their regime, Osmani was the corps commander in Kandahar, the
movement's seat of power. In June, a man claiming to be Mullah Osmani -
his face was concealed by a black turban - gave an interview to a
Pakistani television network in which he said Mullah Omar and Bin Laden
were alive and well.

+++