http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__international_news/&articleid=294508

International
Iran to install 3 000 centrifuges

Iran will start installing 3 000 centrifuges at its Natanz uranium
enrichment plant from Sunday as an immediate reaction to the United
Nations Security Council resolution, Tehran's chief nuclear negotiator
Ali Larijani said.

"We will start our installation activities at the Natanz facility from
Sunday," he told the Kayhan newspaper.

"It is our immediate answer to the resolution and we will go ahead with
full speed."

The UN Security Council voted unanimously on Saturday to impose
sanctions on Iran's trade in sensitive nuclear materials and technology,
in an attempt to stop uranium enrichment work that could be used in bombs.

Iran has condemned the resolution as an illegal measure outside the
council's jurisdiction. Larijani insisted sanctions would not deter Iran.

"We have repeatedly said ... using the council to pressure Iran ... will
make us more determined to achieve our nuclear goals," Larijani told the
daily after the resolution was passed.

The resolution demands Iran end all research on uranium enrichment,
which can produce fuel for nuclear power plants or for bombs, and halt
all research and development on methods of producing or delivering
atomic weapons.

The thrust of the sanctions is a ban on imports and exports of dangerous
materials and technology relating to uranium enrichment, reprocessing
and heavy-water reactors, as well as ballistic missile delivery systems.

Iran in October started up a second group of 164 centrifuges, which spin
at supersonic speeds to enrich uranium.

Tehran says its Natanz underground facility will eventually house tens
of thousands of the machines but that it will only use them to enrich
uranium to a level suitable for use in atomic power reactors.

'Double standard'
Larijani accused the Security Council of a double standard by imposing
sanctions on Iran while ignoring Israel's nuclear arsenal.

"The council is silent about the Zionist regime's [Israel] atomic work
while reacts to Iran's peaceful activities," he said.

"Such moves will harm credibility of the council."

The resolution, drawn up by Britain, France and Germany, has urged Iran
to return to negotiations. But Washington has been seeking tougher
measures, including an end to credits for Iran and a halt to arms sales.

Russia and China have called for a resumption of talks to attempt to
resolve the issue through negotiations. So far Iran has refused
negotiations, saying they had led nowhere.

Britain, France, Germany, Russia, China and the United States offered
Tehran a package of economic and political incentives in June if it
agreed to consider a long-term freeze on enrichment. But Iran refused to
do so. -- Reuters

+++