http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/97269.html

Islam's golden age comes to life
Students celebrate scholars and poets of a great empire
By Stephen Magagnini - Bee Staff Writer

Published 12:00 am PST Saturday, December 23, 2006
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

Poets and philosophers, merchants and mathematicians, artisans and
astronomers re-enacted the Golden Age of Islam at the Al-Arqam Islamic
School in south Sacramento on Friday.

The artistry, story-telling and role-playing was a creation of 233
students from kindergarten through ninth grade who brought to life the
sights, tastes and smells of an Islamic empire that spanned three
continents from the eighth to the 13th centuries.

 From incense to Turkish coffee, dates to oranges, minarets to miniature
mosques and castles -- you could find it all at The Islamic Civilization
Exhibit and Festival in the school's multipurpose room.

Pageantry was accompanied by plenty of food for thought.

In the midst of this "village" teeming with children dressed in Saudi,
Afghan, Palestinian, Pakistani, Egyptian and Moroccan garments, a large
gold and blue tent set the stage for a debate among nine famous Muslim
scholars.

Ibn Battuta (12-year-old Abdurrahman Husnein)was considered the greatest
tourist of the 14th century. He followed the Prophet Muhammad's advice
to "seek knowledge even if it takes you to China."

Ibn Sina (10-year old Belal Ahmed) insisted that his Canon of Medicine
was a more important contribution because "My work saves lives!" Sina
lived from 980 to 1037.

The father of algebra, Muhammad Ibn Musa Al-Khawarizmi (11-year-old
Javed Maroon) responded, "I created the decimal system and the use of
zero ... I educate the lives you save." The mathematician lived from 770
to 840.

Imam Malik (13-year-old Ossama Kamel), who compiled thousands of sayings
from the Prophet Muhammad, warned the others against arrogance. "No one
who has an atom's weight of pride in his heart will enter the garden,"
he quoted the prophet as saying.

Kamel said the festival "gives us pride in our religion -- these
scholars are Islam, and people who are doing wrong today, that's not
really Islam."

Dozens of other Muslim scholars were represented, including
seventh-grader Nimra A. Syed's favorite, Al-Jazari, the first-known
mechanical engineer who invented water clocks, combination locks and
double-action water pumps.

She said that Al-Jazari, who lived from 1150 to 1220, was born in Iraq
and wrote "The Book of Knowledge of Ingenious Mechanical Devices."

"The coolest thing about this guy is some inventors don't look like they
have fun in their lives, and he made some practical-joke devices," Nimra
said. The inventions included a drinking container that looked full when
empty, and a glass that looked empty but spilled water out when it
tipped over.

And fourth-grader Shareef Sadek was captivated by Abu-Uthman Al-Jahiz, a
writer who penned an environmentalist yarn, "The Story of Abu Said, The
Recycler." It's a tale of a man who would hoard his garbage and sift
through it, saving items he could re-use such as pomegranate skins for
red dye and chicken bones for fuel.

The exhibit was filled with fascinating lessons, such as the origin of
the word "mattress," which comes from matrah, Arabic for "a place where
things are thrown." In addition, the youths said Muslim doctors were the
first to document patient histories, and carried out the first cataract
surgery.

Many kids flocked to the market, where Safa Khan and Hameed Ahmadi, two
9-year-olds, hawked oranges, dates, dried apricots and eggplant.

"Try some oranges," Khan said with a smile, then confessed, "I'd rather
go with some sugar-coated almonds."

Vice principal Dalia Wardany, who organized the festival, said her
students learned the power of knowledge.

"These kids are the torch bearers of our religion," said Wardany. "If
they rely on their skills and talents, they can do something positive
for future generations."

+++