http://www.khaleejtimes.ae/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/theworld/2006/December/theworld_December660.xml&section=theworld&col=

US holding Iranian officials seized in Iraq: NYT
(Reuters)

WASHINGTON - The US military is holding at least four Iranians in Iraq,
including men the Bush administration calls senior military officials,
who were seized in raids last week, The New York Times reported on Sunday.

The raids were aimed at people suspected of conducting attacks on Iraqi
security forces, the Times said, citing senior Iraqi and US officials in
Baghdad and Washington.

Gordon Johndroe, spokesman for the US National Security Council, told
the Times two Iranian diplomats were among those initially detained in
the raids. They were turned over to Iraqi authorities and released, he said.

The Times said Johndroe confirmed that a group of other Iranians,
including the military officials, remained in custody while an
investigation continued.

It was unclear what kind of evidence American officials possessed that
the Iranians were planning attacks, and the officials would not identify
those being held, the Times said.

One official said that "a lot of material" was seized in the raid, but
would not say if it included arms or documents that pointed to planning
for attacks, the paper reported.

The two raids, in central Baghdad, have deeply upset Iraqi government
officials, who have been making strenuous efforts to engage Iran on
matters of security, the Times said. At least two of the Iranians were
in Iraq on an invitation extended by Iraqi President Jalal Talabani
during a visit to Tehran earlier this month.

The Times said it was particularly awkward for the Iraqis that one of
the raids took place in the Baghdad compound of Abdul Aziz Al Hakim, one
of Iraq's most powerful Shi'ite leaders, who traveled to Washington
three weeks ago to meet President George W. Bush.

Over the past four days, the Iraqis and Iranians have engaged in intense
behind-the-scenes efforts to secure the release of the remaining
detainees, the Times reported.

A senior Western official in Baghdad said the raids were conducted after
US officials received information that the people detained had been
involved in attacks on official security forces in Iraq, the paper reported.

US and Iraqi officials have long accused Iran of interfering in Iraq's
internal affairs, but have rarely produced evidence. The Bush
administration presented last week's arrests as a potential confirmation
of the link, the Times said.

"We suspect this event validates our claims about Iranian meddling, but
we want to finish our investigation of the detained Iranians before
characterizing their activities," Johndroe told the Times.

+++