http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070105/wl_nm/philippines_explosion_dc_2

Bomb blast in southern Philippines wounds two

Fri Jan 5, 3:00 AM ET

MANILA (Reuters) - Suspected Islamic militants set off a bomb near a
fast-food restaurant in the southern Philippines on Friday wounding two
people, police said.

Officials said a crude bomb exploded near the restaurant in Cotabato City,
one of the larger cities on the southern island of Mindanao, where the
government is battling long-running Muslim and communist insurgencies.

Three improvised bombs were placed in a box and left on a road outside a
store, regional police Chief Superintendent German Doria told reporters.
Only one went off.

"Before the explosion, we were receiving intelligence reports of a possible
attack in the city," Doria said.

Police spokesman Samson Obatay said they suspected members of local Muslim
terrorist group Abu Sayyaf and regional network Jemaah Islamiah could be
behind the attack.

"We have intercepted a report that they will carry out attacks in major
cities in Mindanao, including our city," Obatay told reporters, adding the
make and type of explosive devices were similar to previous bombs assembled
by the militants.

Last October, an improvised bomb near a shopping mall in downtown Cotabato
City damaged property but there were no wounded.

The bomb attack came as President

 <http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?p=Gloria+Macapagal+Arroyo>
Gloria Macapagal Arroyo was meeting with top defense and military officials
in Manila's main military camp, ordering them to defeat all security threats
facing the archipelago before she steps down in 2010.

The Philippines has been on alert against possible militant attacks ahead of
a gathering of 16 leaders from East Asia next week on the central island of
Cebu, a month after the meetings were postponed, ostensibly due to a
typhoon.

The British and Australian governments had warned militants were planning to
attack the summit in December but the Philippine government has denied the
meeting was canceled because of security concerns.

The British, Australian and Canadian embassies in Manila still advise their
citizens against traveling to Cebu but Manila has insisted there is no
security threat.