http://www.democracyarsenal.org:80/2007/01/designer_jihad.html

Designer Jihad
Posted by Zvika Krieger

In the Palestinian territories, civil wars are fought with guns. In Iraq,
civil wars are fought with bombs. In Lebanon, civil wars are fought
with...graphic design?

Soon after Hizballah began its recent altercation with the governing March
14 coalition in Lebanon, bright red billboards appeared across the country
with the words "I Love Life" (in English, Arabic, and French). On streets.
At the airport. In malls. At protests. On bumpers. The slick red signs were
everywhere. The "I Love Life"  <http://www.lebanon-ilovelife.com/> campaign,
which is sponsored by March 14 supporters, is attempting to capture the
frustration of average Lebanese people that are sick of their country being
racked by war -- both externally, as in the war with Israel, and internally,
as in the sectarian fighting that has lasted for decades. They just want to
live normal lives -- such as not have their favorite shopping arcade in
downtown Beirut shut down by endless Hizballah sit-ins. And perhaps more
pointedly, the implication of the campaign is that opponents to March 14
(cough, couch, Hizballah) do not love life (which, to be fair, may be true
for groups that glorify martyrdom and drag innocent civilians into
unnecessary wars with Israel).

But remember, this is war, so the opposition can't just let March 14 rub
their love of life in Hizballah's face. So this week has brought the
appearance of a  <http://www.tayyar.org/> counter ad campaign, parodying the
"I Love Life" billboards by adding the words "In Multicolor," "In Dignity,"
or "For Everyone" scribbled on the bottom. The implication is that the
ruling March 14 coalition, while having led the campaign to kick Syria out
in 2005 and restore Lebanese independence, is also a sectarian movement that
excludes the Shi'a. I have to say that it's a pretty creative way to counter
the simplistic message of the "I Love Life" campaign with a message that
really makes you think. Yes, Hizballah has created a state-within-a-state in
southern Lebanon. Yes, it is the only militia in Lebanon that remains armed.
Yes, it is a proxy for Iranian and Syrian interests in Lebanon. But it also
has some pretty legitimate complaints. Beneath all the bombastic labels of
"terrorists" and "Islamo-fascists," it's important to remember that
Hizballah represents a disenfranchised Shi'a majority in Lebanon that has
been historically dominated by a Christian presidency and then a Sunni
premiership. The only durable solution to the current political deadlock in
Lebanon will have to address this underlying power imbalance between
Lebanon's sects.

So kudos to "the opposition" for such a creative comeback and kudos to both
sides for reminding us that not every civil war in the Middle East has to be
fought with guns and bombs.