http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3353729,00.html

Rabbi Metzger to Europe: Don't stay silent against Iran

Vatican conference dedicates day to Catholic-Jewish dialogue. Israel's chief
rabbi gives speech, urges Europeans not to remain silent in face of Iranian
threat

Neta Sela

Published:

01.17.07, 18:50

Israel's Chief Rabbi Yona Metzger gave a speech Wednesday before the Italian
Parliament at a conference on Judaism and inter-religious dialogue in Rome
sponsored by Pope Benedict XVI.

During his speech, Rabbi Metzger urged the European people to stand against
the Iranian threat. "Stop being indifferent and do not remain silent against
the Iranian threat," he said.

"To remain inert before Iran
<http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3353729,00.html#n>  today is a
grave sin," he added, "Europeans of all people should know from past
experience that it all starts with declarations that should not be taken
lightly, since after threats come actions."

Metzger continued, "I am here before you today as a warning sign and as a
messenger of the Jewish people to tell you that there are those who imitate
the Nazi leader with serious declarations against my people and my country."

The rabbi also said, "We must do everything in our power to defeat terror
and the use of religion for violent purposes."

In addition to his comments on fighting terror, Israel's chief rabbi also
referred to the issue of the kidnapped soldiers. "Isn't it an elementary
thing for the soldiers' parents to at least know if their sons are healthy,
or even alive," the rabbi asked.

Meanwhile, Pope Benedict XVI called on Christians and Jews to work together
for world peace.

"I invite all to ... invoke the Lord so that Christians and Jews respect
each other, appreciate each other and cooperate for justice and peace in the
world," Benedict told thousands of faithful during his weekly general
audience at the Vatican.

The pope has been reaching out to Jews, following in the footsteps of his

predecessor, the late John Paul II. Benedict visited a synagogue in Cologne,
Germany, during his first trip abroad as pontiff in 2005.

Metzger thanked the Vatican for hosting the conference and said that he was
confident that such events would aide in reducing anti-Semitism in the
world.