http://www.opednews.com:80/articles/genera_adrian_k_070111_snatching_victory
_fr.htm

Snatching
<http://www.opednews.com/articles/genera_adrian_k_070111_snatching_victory_f
r.htm>  Victory from the Jaws of Defeat: How the Democrats can Keep from
being Arrested

by Adrian Kuzminski <http://www.opednews.com/author/author3755.html>

<http://www.opednews.com/maxwrite/print_friendly.php?p=genera_adrian_k_07011
1_snatching_victory_fr.htm>

<http://www.populum.com/tellafriend.php?page=http://www.opednews.com/article
s/genera_adrian_k_070111_snatching_victory_fr.htm>

Snatching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat,
of How the Democrats can Keep from Being Arrested

The Democratic leadership been pushed into opposing the Iraq War by public
opinion and the recent elections, but they are terrified of being made the
scapegoat for losing it. This is because they continue to accept the
fundamental policies which underlie the war. This means economic
globalization with the dollar as the world reserve currency, all backed by
US military superiority intended to guarantee preferential access by Western
interests to resources, especially oil.

Defeat in Iraq will reveal the limits of American power. America will likely
lose its superpower status. The dollar will lose much of its value overseas,
raising the costs of imports, which seem to include most everything these
days. The vaulted American consumer will finally retrench, slowing the
economy significantly; unemployment, bankruptcies, and defaults will rise.
The US won't be able to afford its global military (over 700 bases in over
130 countries), and most of the troops will finally come home. Other power
centers, particularly the EU, perhaps China, will achieve superpower status,
and pursue their own (and not our) interests.

Call it the downsizing of America. When you throw in peak oil and global
warming, it seems inevitable. Conventional wisdom has it that Americans do
not want to hear that tough times are coming, and that somebody inevitable
will be scapegoated for the loss of empire and easy motoring -- the most
likely scapegoats being those identified as liberals and lefties, including
the Democrats, whether they like it or not. The ground has been prepared by
a generation of demonization of liberals. Hence their terror.

The conventional wisdom is wrong. Most Americans are way ahead of the media
pundits in their appreciation of the coming downsizing and decentralization,
just as they were way ahead of them about the war. Americans know that it's
time to withdraw from the world stage, where the part we've lately played
has been foolish, ugly, and immoral, and look to get our own house in order.
Americans know that we're living beyond our means ecologically and
financially, that big business and big government are almost hopelessly
corrupt, that we've screwed up our cities and polluted our lands, and that
the American dreamm is mostly the American treadmill.

The conservatives and neocons are happy enough to escalate the worldwide War
on Terror; they relish refighting the Vietnam War in Iraq and elsewhere with
the prospect of winning rather than losing, deluded as they may be. They'll
override the Democratic Congress and public opinion and proclaim that we
have no choice but to win, even if winning remains a kind of ever receeding
mirage. We see it in Bush's 'surge' in Iraq. In the meantime, they will
continue to usurp power and concentrate it in the president, to the point
where a kind of coup may well occur, with civil liberties suspended,
opposition leaders (Democrats) arrested, and so on.

If the only way out for the Republican leadership is to escalate the war,
the only way out for the Democratic leadership is to turn defeat in the war
into victory. The Democrats must acknowledge defeat but draw constructive
lessons from it. Our troops have not died in vain. They have died to
illustrate the truth that no nation or people can arbitrarily enforce its
will upon another, not without endless recrimination and bitterness and
blowback. They have died to show that the nations of the earth must respect
one another's integrity. They have died to show that torture and the
suspension of civil liberties are wrong.

Democrats have to turn the debacle of Bush's global war on terror into a
reason for reforming international relations, and the UN, insisting upon a
world body democratically accountable to the peoples of the world, perhaps a
global Peoples' Assembly, as well as a body capable of enforcing
international justice and the rule of law.

The Democrats have to turn the end of American empire into the opportunity
to rebuild America at home. One virtue of the Iraq defeat is that, like
nothing else, it will finally free Americans from their addiction to foreign
oil. The challenge to Americans will be to restructure their energy economy,
to rebuild the railroads, to revive local agriculture, to make government
and corporations politically accountable, to recreate vibrant local
sustainable communities.

If the Democratic leadership doesn't embrace a vision something like this
one, they will likely find themselves in the end fed into the Bush
meatgrinder. It may be that we will have to endure some kind of fascist
regime in this country. The Democrats for all their faults could prevent
that. Will they rise to the occasion?