http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/yazarDetay.do?haberno=103850

Rethinking ‘Islam and the West’

To avoid a devastating clash of cultures between Islam and the West we
have to re-conceptualize the way in which Islam-West relations have been
formulated. It is not enough to say that the two are not necessarily in
conflict with each other. New thinking that questions the assumptions
and propositions of the conventional approach is required. The meeting
taking place today in Cairo on “Islam, the West and Modernization,”
organized by the Abant Platform and the Al Ahram Center, promises a new
beginning in this direction.
Analyzing Islamic communities with a globalization perspective is
certainly a fruitful enterprise. Challenges that globalization bring
about touch upon issues of identity, gender relations, democratic
government, development, etc. They have to be properly debated,
understood and resolved.
However, the globalist perspective should also be broadened so as to
“rethink” “Islam and the West.” We usually take it for granted that the
basic parameters of this relationship were defined a century ago when
the West dominated the Islamic world. It is therefore widely assumed
that the relationship between the two is one of Western domination and
the subordination of the Islamic world. That is to say, an arrogant and
unfair Western superiority and rightful resistance and rebellion of
Islam. Such a description no longer fits the reality. Globalization,
while empowering the weak with unconventional means of power, made the
powerful ever more vulnerable.
The first step in rethinking Islam-West relations is to recognize the
fact that each side is equally vulnerable and capable of inflicting
significant damage on the other side in case of open and violent
confrontation. Not only are the lots of Islamic communities fragile but
the West’s too. There is no civilization, in this age of globalization,
that is capable of crashing the other without harming or even destroying
itself. Yes, it is a new global balance of terror… This is so because
the economies of nations have become interdependent and societies have
turned out to be interpenetrated. Splitting one cultural-civilizational
element from the other in any given political unit is virtually
impossible without destroying social and political peace.
Thus, an understanding that “cultural purity” is achievable and
sustainable is a great fallacy. We had better see that we all live in a
world where there may still be distinct civilizations, yet these
civilizations are equally vulnerable and at the same time capable.
Can Islam be confronted violently as part of a clash of civilizations --
in France with 6 million Muslims, or in Germany with 4 million Muslims,
or in Britain with 1.5 million Muslims -- without destroying democracy
and welfare in these countries. What about Europe as a whole where 120
million Muslims live when Russia and Turkey are included?
There is no Islam and the West; but Islam in the West and the West in
Islamic communities worldwide. While the West should understand its
vulnerabilities, the Islamic world had better realize its capabilities.
If only they both saw they were equally fragile and powerful then we
would take the first step in eliminating the annihilating danger of a
clash of civilizations.
26.02.2007

+++

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM