Inside Hizballah's Hidden Bunkers

Thursday, Mar. 29, 2007

By Nicholas Blanford/Alma Shaab, Lebanon

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1604529,00.html

With its heavy metal lid dragged to one side, dank musty air rose up from
the entrance to the bunker, the forbidding gloom of the narrow steel-lined
shaft below unbroken by the bright sunlight. It had taken seven months of
searching to finally discover one of the underground bunkers that had
enabled Hizballah to fire thousands of rockets into northern Israel last
summer even under the pounding of Israeli air and ground operations. But any
sense of exhilaration at the achievement was dampened by the nagging anxiety
of claustrophobia.

"If we have to crawl when we're down there, I can't do it," said my
colleague Ghaith Abdul Ahad.

The elaborate network of bunkers and fortified firing positions built over a
six-year period in sealed-off valleys and hilltops throughout south Lebanon
was key to Hizballah's ability to survive Israel's onslaught during last
summer's month-long war. Israeli soldiers spoke of Hizballah fighters
bursting out of the ground to loose off a rocket-propelled grenade before
disappearing into the earth again. Israeli air crews hunted, often in vain,
for the sources of Katyusha rocket fire, sometimes emanating from within a
few hundred yards of the border. One bunker complex discovered and dynamited
by Israeli troops a week after the ceasefire reportedly covered more than a
square mile and was fitted with hot and cold running water and air
conditioning.

After the war, Hizballah had yielded security control of the area to a
reinforced 12,000-strong U.N. peacekeeping force, but its bunkers remained
elusive. They were hidden, their entrances well camouflaged, in the dense
undergrowth of remote valleys often littered with unexploded Israeli
ordnance. After several unsuccessful attempts to find one, last week I
received map coordinates for two bunkers in a valley near the Christian
border village of Alma Shaab. With the coordinates logged into a GPS device,
Ghaith and I walked carefully along a track winding through blossom-scented
orange orchards at the bottom of a steep-sided brush-covered valley. Snakes
and lizards basking in the hot sun slithered from beneath our feet. But we
kept our eyes open for cluster bombs, which have since August caused 224
casualties among Lebanese civilians and mine-clearing crews, which had used
red spray paint to mark the location of each bomblet.

We almost missed the manhole cover beneath its layer of dirt, dead leaves
and twigs. Using metal footholds, I climbed down into the gloom below and
saw with some relief that the tunnel at the bottom was larger than we had
feared. We would have to crouch, but not crawl. It was still a tight squeeze
as we inched cautiously along the dank silent passageway which ran for about
20 feet before turning left and descending in a gradual slant. The rock
sides of the tunnel were lined with a mesh of steel bars and girders. Huge
brown spiders clinging to the walls watched the human intruders impassively.

A side tunnel was shielded with white steel plates and girders, which led
into a small steel-walled chamber. The room, which was bare apart from two
empty five-gallon water containers, must have been at least 100 feet
underground, and could probably have withstood a direct hit by a heavy bomb.
A power cable along the walls linked several bare bulbs, while a black
plastic bag hanging from a hook contained the remnants of what last summer
could have been fresh oranges or apples.

A few hundred yards away we found two rocket firing positions, one of them
located in a 15-foot deep pit with reinforced concrete walls. A tunnel at
the rear wall doglegged after a few feet into a small chamber lined with
panels from wooden ammunition boxes where the rockets would have been
stored. The second post consisted of a foot-thick reinforced concrete frame
smothered with sandbags and camouflage netting and bolstered by Hesco blast
protection walls. Even from a few yards up the hill, the position was all
but invisible. And during the war, Hizballah gunners had tossed
fire-retardant blankets over the launchers immediately after unleashing
their rockets to hide the lingering heat signature from prowling Israeli
aircraft.

The effort that went into building the fortifications in this valley alone
had been extraordinary, and these were just three of dozens, possibly
hundreds, scattered throughout southern Lebanon. The steel plates and
girders, as well as the digging tools, sandbags and other equipment had to
be carried by hand up the steep slope from the valley floor and welded into
place in the cramped claustrophobic tunnels. And Hizballah's engineers had
managed to work undetected, despite near daily reconnaissance flights by
Israeli jets and drones.

Both Hizballah and the Israeli military are still absorbing the lessons
learned during last summer's conflict. But with continued speculation here
over a possible "round two" between the militant Shi'ite group and Israel,
it remains to be seen what fresh tricks Hizballah may still have up its
sleeve.

Find this article at:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1604529,00.html

FAIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics in this
message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All rights to
these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have been placed
within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance with
"Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976.
The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107 of The
Copyright Act of 1976.  "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to obtain
permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted materials
if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four criteria
for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case qualifies
as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy all four
criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair use" is
determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or does not
substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish to use
copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner.  For more information go
to:  <http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml>

THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED  MATERIAL. COPYING AND DISSEMINATION
IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.