http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level_English.php?cat=Politics&loid=8.0.39953847
7&par=0

EGYPT: ABDUCTED IMAM DENIED VISA TO ITALY, LAWYER SAYS

Cairo, 28 March (AKI) - An Egyptian imam allegedly abducted by CIA agents
from Italy in 2003, has been refused an entry visa by Italian authorities,
independent Egyptian daily al-Masri al-Yom reports, quoting the man's
lawyer. Osama Mustafa Hassan Nasr, better known as Abu Omar, was denied a
visa for Italy to appear before the judges probing his kidnapping, his
defence lawyer Montasser al Zayat said. The Italian consular officials in
Cairo, contacted by Adnkronos International (AKI) did not confirm the
report. Abu Omar was released from custody in Egypt
- during which he claims he was tortured - in February.

He was allegedly abducted from a Milan in 2003 in a US practice known as
'extraordinary rendition'. According to Italian investigators, Abu Omar was
taken by the CIA to the joint US-Italian Aviano air base, flown to Germany
and then to Egypt, where he was jailed.

"I want to return to Italy but authorities won't let me leave Egypt,"
the Muslim cleric said in his first public appearence after his release.

Prosecutors in Milan have charged 33 Italian and US intelligence agents
accused of taking part in his abduction. The trial opens in Milan on 8 June.

Al-Masri al-Yom reported that the lawyer was travelling to Italy where he
would give evidence on his client's behalf.