http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1
<http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=22&art_id=nw2007050409
4215351C266195> &click_id=22&art_id=nw20070504094215351C266195
US gets creative in battle against Al-Qaeda

Washington - US officials championing freedom and democracy are well aware
that they cannot try to silence Islamist militants by censoring or blocking
the burgeoning number of Al-Qaeda related websites.

But they are attempting to exploit potential weaknesses in the terror
network's skyrocketing use of online media to spread its ideology, raise
money and recruit and train new followers.

"It is not possible to capture, kill, or incarcerate ideas," Lieutenant
Colonel Joseph Felter, director of the Combating Terrorism Centre at the
United States military academy at West Point, told a Senate hearing on
homeland security on Thursday.

"But we can do a better job of understanding how the Internet facilitates
these processes so we can monitor and thwart those who join the jihadi
movement."

<http://adserver.adtech.de/?adlink|585|1099505|0|165|AdId=1374154;BnId=5;iti
me=299429041;key=key1+key2+key3+key4;>

Frank Cilluffo, director of the Homeland Security Policy Institute at George
Washington University, said the Internet has created a "largely borderless
world."

"Internet chat rooms are now supplementing and replacing mosques, community
centres and coffee shops as venues for recruitment and radicalisation by
terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda," he said.

To fight that, Cilluffo outlined a number of tactics for tapping into the
online community and using its very nature to US advantage.

For one, "it is possible that an intelligence officer posing as a
sympathiser could infiltrate an online extremist community," he said.

"Seeds of confusion, doubt and distrust could then be planted in order to
chip away at the ties that bind individual extremists into a cohesive and
dangerous group."

Other tactics he proposed included "deepen(ing) our understanding of the
process of radicalisation."

Michael Doran, deputy assistant secretary of defence, said the anonymous
nature of the Internet makes militants difficult to track, and the speed
with which messages are broadcast and copied onto other sites compounds the
challenges.

"Because individuals can access the Internet anonymously from virtually
anywhere on the globe, the use of the web by terrorists is a constantly
moving target," he said.

"From a handful of terrorist websites in 2000, today there are many
thousands of terrorist-related websites in existence, with more appearing
each week.

"Our deep commitment to a free society and the very nature of the web make
it virtually impossible to prevent terrorists from using the Internet
altogether," he added.

Felter concurred that attempts to close down the sites have proven futile.

"Attempts to shut down websites have proven as fruitless as a game of
whack-a-mole. An open society in the information age offers opportunities
for asymmetric warfare that cannot be taken away, only countered."

Felter said militants use the satellite mapping site Google Earth to plan
attacks in Iraq, and gather specifications on US tactical vehicles used in
Iraq based on the manufacturers' websites, techniques US intelligence can
use, too.

"Know your enemy - read what the terrorists are telling us online," he said.

"Exploit enemy vulnerabilities made publicly available on the Internet. One
of the most effective ways to hurt the jihadis is to use their own writings,
discourse and web postings against them," Felter said.

"We can monitor them ... follow the networks and assess their operational
capacity. We can sabotage them by infiltrating their networks and flooding
the web with bogus information.

"And we can anticipate their attacks by reading their strategic literature
and following trends on their web forums and discussion boards."

Cilluffo advised offering "a compelling narrative that pulls potential
extremists back from the brink," but warned such a narrative "should not be
confused with efforts to improve America's image," rather it should "offer a
'dream.'"

He also lamented the lack of Arabic-speakers in US intelligence services.

"The ability to speak, understand and translate Arabic is crucial to
prevention and response efforts, yet US government capacities in that regard
are much weaker than they should be."