Recommendations for the West

by Baron Bodissey

 <http://fjordman.blogspot.com/> The Fjordman Report
The noted blogger Fjordman is filing this report via Gates of Vienna.
For a complete Fjordman blogography, see The Fjordman Files
<http://kleinverzet.blogspot.com/2006/02/fjordman-files.html> .

  <http://chromatism.net/images/bar400.gif>

The West at the beginning of the 21st century suffers from a lack of
cultural confidence, and is in some ways engaged in an internal struggle
over the very meaning of Western civilization. This ideological "war within
the West" has helped paved the way for the physical "war against the West"
that is waged by Muslim Jihadists, who quite correctly view our creed of
Multiculturalism and our acceptance of Muslim immigration as signs of
weakness and that the West has lost contact with its civilizational roots.

 Jan III Sobieski <http://chromatism.net/current/images/sobieski.gif>
Perhaps we will need to resolve the war within the West before we can win
the war against the West. When Westerners such as Polish king Jan III
Sobieski led their troops to victory over the Turks in the 1683 Battle of
Vienna, they fought for a number of reasons: Their country, their culture
and their religion, among other things. People don't just need to live, they
need something to live for, and fight for. We are against Islam. What are we
for?

I would suggest that one thing we should fight for is national sovereignty
and the right to preserve our own culture and pass it on to future
generations. We are fighting for the right to define our own laws and
national policies, not to be held hostage by Leftist Utopians, unaccountable
NGOs, transnational progressives or self-appointed guardians of the truth.
- - - - - - - - - -
Multiculturalism is wrong because not all cultures are equal. However, it is
also championed by groups with a hidden agenda. Multiculturalism serves as a
tool for ruling elites to fool people, to keep them from knowing that they
have lost, or deliberately vacated, control over national borders. Leftists
who dislike Western civilization use Multiculturalism to undermine it, a
hate ideology disguised as tolerance. Multiculturalism equals the unilateral
destruction of Western culture, the only unilateral action the West is
allowed to take, according to some.

There are also some libertarian right-wingers and Big Business supporters
who see man only as the sum of his economic functions, as cheap labor and
consumers, homo economicus. They believe not only in free markets but in
free migration, and tend to downplay the impact of culture. They are Islam's
useful idiots in the fight against the West.

Although Leftists tend to be more aggressive, perhaps the dividing line in
the internal struggle in the West is less between Left and Right, and more
between those who value national sovereignty and Western culture and those
who do not. End the nonsense of "celebrating our differences." We should be
celebrating our sameness and what binds us together. We should clean up our
history books and school curricula, which have been infected with
anti-Western sentiments.

Upholding national borders has become more important in the age of
globalization, terrorism and mass-migration, not less. No nation regardless
of political system can survive the loss of its territorial integrity, but
democratic states especially so. Those who don't want to uphold national
borders are actually tearing down the very foundations of our democratic
system, which is based on nation states. The fight for national sovereignty
is thus the fight for democracy itself, since nobody has so far made any
convincing model of a supranational democracy.

We now have a political class who spend much of their time travelling around
the world. They no longer feel as attached to the people they are supposed
to represent as they did in the past. This is perhaps inevitable, but it
feeds a growing sense of detachment between ordinary people and their
supposed leaders. We need to remind our political leaders that we pay
national taxes because they are supposed to uphold our national borders. If
they can't do so, the social contract is breached, and we should no longer
be required to pay our taxes. National taxes, national borders could become
a new rallying cry.

The West is declining as a percentage of world population, and in danger of
being overwhelmed by immigration from poorer countries with booming
populations. Westerners need to adjust our self-image to being less dominant
in the 21st century. As such, we also need to ditch Messianic altruism: The
West must first of all save itself. We have no obligation to "save" the
Islamic world, and do not have the financial strength nor the demographic
numbers to do so even if we wanted to. We are not all-powerful and are not
in the position to help all of the Third World out of poverty, certainly not
by allowing all of them to move here.

We should take a break from massive immigration, also non-Muslim
immigration, for at least a generation, in order to absorb and assimilate
the persons we already have in our countries. The West is becoming so
overwhelmed by immigration that this may trigger civil wars in several
Western nations in the near future. We already have massive Third World
ghettos in our major cities. Future immigration needs to be more strictly
controlled and ONLY non-Muslim.

 Peshawar crowd <http://chromatism.net/current/images/peshawarcrowd.jpg>
This immigration break should be used to demonstrate clearly that the West
will no longer serve as the dumping ground for excess population growth in
other countries. We have cultures and countries that we'd like to preserve,
too, and cannot and should not be expected to accept unlimited number of
migrants from other countries. But above all, the West, and indeed the
non-Muslim world, should make our countries Islam-unfriendly and implement a
policy of containment of Dar al-Islam. This is the most civilized thing we
can do in order to save ourselves, but also to limit the loss of life among
both Muslims and non-Muslims.

The best way to deal with the Islamic world is to have as little to do with
it as possible. We should ban Muslim immigration. This could be done in
creative and indirect ways, such as banning immigration from nations with
citizens known to be engaged in terrorist activities. We should remove all
Muslim non-citizens currently in the West. We should also change our laws to
ensure that Muslim citizens who advocate sharia, preach Jihad, the
inequality of "infidels" and of women should have their citizenship revoked
and be deported back to their country of origin.

 Muezzin <http://chromatism.net/current/images/muezzin2.jpg> We need to
create an environment where the practice of Islam is made difficult. Muslim
citizens should be forced to either accept our secular ways or leave if they
desire sharia. Much of this can be done in a non-discriminatory way, by
simply refusing to allow special pleading to Muslims. Do not allow the
Islamic public call to prayer as it is offensive to other faiths. All
children, boys and girls should take part in all sporting and social
activities of the school and the community. The veil should be banned in all
public institutions, thus also contributing to breaking the traditional
subjugation of women. Companies and public buildings should not be forced to
build prayer rooms for Muslims. Enact laws to eliminate the abuse of family
reunification laws. Do not permit major investments by Muslims in Western
media or universities.

As columnist Diana West
<http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20060824-084015-5082r.htm>  of the
Washington Times points out, we should shift from a pro-democracy offensive
to an anti-sharia defensive. Calling this the War on Terror was a mistake.
Baron Bodissey of the Gates of Vienna blog
<http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/>  suggests the slogan "Take Back the
Culture," thus focusing on our internal struggle for Western culture.
Another possibility is "War against Apartheid." Given sharia's inequality
between men and women, Muslims and non-Muslims, it is de facto a religious
apartheid system. Calling this struggle a self-defense against apartheid
would make it more difficult for Western Leftists to dismiss it.

People should be educated about the realities of Jihad and sharia. Educating
non-Muslims about Islam is probably more important than educating Muslims,
but we should do both. Authorities or groups of dedicated individuals should
engage in efforts to explain the real nature of Islam, emphasizing the
division that Islam teaches between Believer and Infidel, the permanent
state of war between Dar al-Islam and Dar al-Harb and the uses of taqiyya
and kitman as religious deception.

As Hugh Fitzgerald of Jihad Watch
<http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/011106.php>  says, we should
explain why Islam encourages despotism (because allegiance is owed the ruler
as long as he is a Muslim), economic paralysis, intellectual failure (the
cult of authority, the hostility to free and skeptical inquiry) in Islamic
countries. Let Muslims themselves begin slowly to understand that all of
their political, economic, social, intellectual, and moral failures are a
result of Islamic teachings.

Fitzgerald also suggests exploiting the many fissures within the Islamic
world: Divide and conquer. Divide and demoralize. Islam has universalist
claims but it talks about Arabs as the "best of peoples," and has been a
vehicle for Arab supremacy, to promote Arab conquest of wealthier non-Arab
populations. In addition to divisions between Arabs and non-Arab Muslims, we
have the sectarian divide between Shias and Sunnis, and the economic
division between the fabulously rich oil-and-natural-gas Arab states and the
poor Muslim countries.

Both the sectarian and economic divisions within Islam are best exploited by
Infidels doing nothing. If the Western world stops giving Egypt, Pakistan,
Jordan, and the Palestinians "aid," which has in reality become a disguised
form of Jizyah, this will clear the psychological air. And it will force the
poorer Arabs and other Muslims to go to the rich Arabs for support.

 Plowing with oxen in yemen
<http://chromatism.net/current/images/yemenoxen.jpg> Right now, Muslims can
enjoy the best of both worlds: Following medieval religious laws while
enjoying the fruits of 21st century civilization. We need to drive home the
utter failure of the Islamic model by making sure that Muslims should no
longer able to count on permanent Western or infidel aid in their
overpopulated, self-primitivized states, whose very unviability they are
prevented from recognizing by this constant infusion of aid.

We also need to deprive Arabs and Muslims as much as possible of Western
Jizya in other forms, which means ending foreign aid, but also institute a
Manhattan Project for alternative sources of energy, in order to become
independent of Arab oil.

And as Mr. Fitzgerald asks
<http://www.jihadwatch.org/dhimmiwatch/archives/2006/05/011325print.html> :
"What would the rich Arabs do if the Western world decided to seize their
property in the West as the assets of enemy aliens, just as was done to the
property owned not only by the German government, but by individual Germans,
during World War II? And what would they do if they were to be permanently
deprived of easy access to Western medical care?"

We also need to reject the "You turn into what you fight" argument. The
British, the Americans and the Canadians didn't become Nazis while fighting
Nazi Germany, did they? The truth is, we will become like Muslims if we
don't fight them and keep them out of our countries, since they will subdue
us and Islamize us by force. The West isn't feared because we are
"oppressors," we are despised because we are perceived as being decadent and
weak.

 Destruction of Bamiyan Buddhas
<http://chromatism.net/current/images/bamiyan.jpg> Yes, we should implement
a policy of containment of the Islamic world, but for this to work we will
sometimes have to take military action to crush Arab pretensions to
grandeur. The Buddhists of Central Asia undoubtedly held the "moral high
ground" in relations to Muslims. They are all dead now. At the very least,
we must be prepared to back up our ideological defenses with force on
certain occasions. Holding a higher moral standard isn't going to defeat an
Iranian President with nukes, threatening another Holocaust.

Writer Raymond Kraft
<http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=23022>  explains
Western softness very well: The Islamic movement "has turned the civility of
the United States and Europe into a weapon and turned it against us. It has
weaponized niceness, it has weaponized compassion, it has weaponized the
fundamental decency of Western Civilization. We have become too civilized to
defeat our enemies, perhaps too civilized to survive."

Kraft thinks we are naïve in believing that the deeds of Hezbollah, Hamas,
Al Qaeda, the whole Islamic Jihad, are done by a bunch of "non-state
actors." In real life they're agents of nation states (Iran, Syria, Saudi
Arabia, sometimes Russia or China) who want to weaken the West by a proxy
war.

The Chinese and the Russians do not want to fight an open war with the
Americans, but they would be hugely pleased to see the United States cut
down to size a bit, until it is about as much a threat to anybody as the
European Union is now, "so the Chinese and Russians can run the global show
as they see fit, ration the oil, and pocket the profits."

There is, however, a big difference: The Islamic world always has been our
enemy and always will be. China and Russia do not have to be our enemies,
although our relations will be complicated because of their size and their
own Great Power ambitions. We can, at best, persuade them that directly
opposing us isn't going to pay off.

I have heard several objections to the containment option. Some claim that
it is too harsh and thus won't be implemented; others say that it is
insufficient and won't work in the long run.

It's true that in the current political situation, expulsion of
sharia-sponsoring Muslims isn't going to happen. But the current political
situation isn't going to last.

 Clichy-Sous-Bois <http://chromatism.net/current/images/clichy.jpg> We will
get civil wars in several Western countries because of this immigration, and
given the increasing clashes with Muslim immigrants in France, in England
and in other countries one could argue that we are seeing early signs of
this already now. This will finally demonstrate how serious the situation
is, and force other Western nations to ban Muslim immigration and pressure
Muslim citizens to assimilate or leave.

I have heard comments that it isn't practically doable to contain the
Islamic world behind some artificial Maginot Line. When the Mongols could
simply go around the Great Wall of China during the Middle Ages, it will be
impossible to contain anybody in the 21st century with modern communication
technology.

I understand this objection. No, it won't be easy, but we have to at least
try. Containment is the very minimum that is acceptable. Perhaps the spread
of nuclear technology will indeed trigger a large-scale war with the Islamic
world at some point. The only way to avoid this is to take steps, including
military ones, to deprive Muslims of such technology. The Jihad is being
waged with military, political, demographic and diplomatic means. The
defense against Jihad has to be equally diverse.

I have also been criticized because my talk about containment and the need
to limit even non-Muslim immigration smacks of the siege mentality of a
friendless West. First of all, the policy of stricter immigration control
isn't based on isolationism, it's based on realism. We're in the middle of
the largest population boom and the largest migration waves in human
history. The simple fact is that far more people want to live in the West
than we can possibly let in.

Technological globalization has made it easier for people to travel to other
countries, but also easier for them to stay in touch with their original
homeland as if they never left. We have to deal with this fact by slowing
the immigration rates to assimilation levels, or our societies, and
certainly our democratic system, will slowly break down.

Moreover, I'm advocating isolating the Islamic world, not the West. Even if
we cannot allow all non-Muslims to freely settle in our lands, this does not
mean that they have to be our enemies. Jihad is being waged against the
entire non-Muslim world, not just the West. We should stop trying to "win
the hearts and minds" of Muslims and start reaching out to non-Muslims.

 No to the UN! <http://chromatism.net/current/images/notoun.gif> The United
Nations  <http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/1224> is heavily infiltrated
by Islamic groups. We should starve it for funds and ridicule it at any
given opportunity. As an alternative to the UN, we could create an
organization where only democratic states could become members. Another
possibility is an expansion of NATO. The most important principle at this
point is to contain the Islamic world. We simply cannot allow our enemies to
have influence over our policies, which they partly do through the UN.

What the West should do is to enter into strategic alliances with
non-Western states that share some of our political ideals and goals. This
includes non-Muslim nations such as Japan and India, perhaps also Thailand,
the Philippines and others. We will, however, still need some understanding
with Russia and China and some mechanism for consultations with both.
Perhaps, instead of any new and formalized organization, the most
influential countries will simply form ad hoc alliances to deal with issues
as they arise.

The situation in the Old West in Europe is right now more serious than in
the New West, the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

 No to the EUSSR! <http://chromatism.net/current/images/eussrno2.gif> For
Europe, the most important thing to do right now is to dismantle the
European Union in its present form, and regain national control over our
borders and our legislation. The EU is so deeply flawed as an organization,
and so heavily infiltrated by Eurabian and pro-Islamic thinking that it
simply cannot be reformed. And let's end the stupid support for the
Palestinians that the Eurabians have encouraged, and start supporting our
cultural cousin, Israel.

Europeans also need to ditch the welfare state
<http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2006/08/welfare-state-is-dead-long-live.h
tml> , which is probably doomed anyway. The welfare state wasn't all bad,
but the welfare state economies cannot compete in a world of billions of
capitalists in low-cost countries. Besides, the welfare state creates a
false sense of security in a dog-eat-dog world, and it breeds a passivity
that is very dangerous in the fight against Jihad. It may also indirectly
contribute to the low birth rates in many European countries.

We should use the money instead to strengthen our border controls and
rebuild credible militaries. Western Europeans have lived under Pax
Americana for so long that we have forgotten how to defend ourselves. This
needs to change, and soon.

Europeans should adopt legislation similar to the First Amendment in the
American Constitution, securing the right to free speech. The reason why
European authorities are becoming increasingly totalitarian in their
censorship efforts is to conceal the fact that they are no longer willing or
able to uphold even the most basic security of their citizenry, far less our
national borders. Europe needs free speech more than ever.

[Baron Bodissey's two cents: Europe needs a Second Amendment, too, and for
the same reason.]

We need to strike a balance between defeatism and denial. Yes, the situation
in Europe is now very serious, but it is not totally lost. Not yet. The
Danish Cartoon Jihad has demonstrated that their Islamic arrogance
encourages Muslims to become too aggressive, too early, and thus overplay
their hand. Our main problem is ourselves. Europe's elites have lost contact
with the people, and the people have lost contact with reality. Western
Europe is now a collection of several layers of different Utopias:
Multiculturalism, welfarism, radical Feminism and transnationalism that will
all soon come crashing down. The important question is how we're going to
deal with this.

Yes, we have been betrayed by our own leaders, but that's still only part of
the problem. People tend to get the governments they deserve. Maybe we get
weak leaders because we are weak, or because they can exploit weaknesses in
our mentality to get us where they want to; above all anti-Americanism,
anti-Semitism, our excessive desire for consensus and suppression of
dissent, the anti-individualistic legacy from Socialism and the passivity
bred by welfare state bureaucracy. Muslims are stuck with their problems and
their corrupt leaders and blame everybody else for their own failures
because they can never admit they are caused by deep flaws in their culture.
We shouldn't make the same mistake. Europeans export wine; Arabs export
whine. That's the way it should be.

It is highly likely that the coming generation will determine whether Europe
will continue to exist as a Western cultural entity. However, just as Islam
isn't the cause of Europe's weakness but rather a secondary infection, it is
conceivable that the Islamic threat could have the unforeseen and ironic
effect of saving Europe from herself. Europe will bleed but she won't die.

As the quote goes in the Hollywood classic "The Third Man":

 The Third Man <http://chromatism.net/current/images/thirdman.jpg> "…in
Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and
bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the
Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love — they had 500 years of
democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Some would say that's a tad unfair to the Swiss. Switzerland has been at the
forefront of many technological developments for a long time, and we could
probably learn from their example with frequent referendums and direct
democracy. But it's true that European renewals can be messy stuff.

Muslims always claim that Islamic influences triggered the Renaissance.
That's not true. But maybe it will be this time. Perhaps this life-and-death
struggle with Islam is precisely the slap in the face that we need to
regroup and revitalize our civilization. Is there still enough strength left
in Europe to repel an Islamic invasion once more? If so, Muslims could
indeed be responsible for triggering a Western Renaissance, the Second
Renaissance.

It remains to be seen whether this will actually happen, or whether it is
wishful thinking. Europe will unfortunately experience some warfare either
way. Will this produce a Michelangelo or a Muhammad? Only time will tell.