http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/cmolin/2007/cdm_05081.shtml

It's Official: Iraq Is Al-Qaeda's Central Front
By Carol Devine-Molin
May 8, 2007

Media overreaction appears to be the norm, particularly when the subject
matter is Iraq. The Los Angeles Times and other publications are questioning
whether there's a "disconnect" between Defense Secretary Robert Gates and
the Bush administration regarding the troop surge strategy and "the way
forward" in Iraq. Reportedly, Gates has been warning Iraqi Prime Minister
Nouri al-Maliki that progress is expected, while underscoring that the
window of opportunity "to get it right" in Iraq is closing. So are we to
believe that Gates is a loose cannon? That just doesn't sound plausible. In
all probability, Gates is operating closely with the president and others in
the administration to move the Iraqi government along at an acceptable pace.
President Bush is under considerable pressure by the Congress to withdraw
our troops if the Iraqi government can't make political strides among the
various factions in a rather swift fashion. Unfortunately, the Democrat-led
Congress is being shortsighted for reasons to be outlined herein.

When the top commander in Iraq, General David Petraeus, was recently in the
capital to brief policy makers, he discussed the state of the Iraqi
government: "It is not a government of national unity. Rather, it is one
comprised of political leaders from different parties that often default to
narrow agendas and a zero-sum approach to legislation." Clearly, cooperation
among the Iraqi parties needs to improve. But Gates knows that the time for
results is now. The duly elected Iraqi government must yield progress on
dividing oil revenues and conducting other business including passing a
budget. Otherwise the Congress will continue with its political maneuverings
and make troop funding difficult if not impossible. Although Iraq is
certainly "Jihad Central", for political reasons the Democrats refuse to
acknowledge that the Iraq campaign is part and parcel of the war-on-terror.

Which brings me to the unconscionable finagling of Democrats that are
purposely obfuscating and redefining words to advance their political agenda
and worldview. The following is illustrative of hardcore Leftist tactics: In
an April 2007 press release from House Republican Leader John Boehner, the
congressman states: "The attempt by Democrats to erase the words 'global'
and 'terror' from our current war is an absurd effort to deny the fact that
America is battling terrorism on a global scale. How do Democrats expect
America to fight and win a war they deny is even taking place?

War? What war? As always, the Left is heavy-handed on the propaganda front.
In answer to Boehner's query, obviously the Democrats don't expect us to win
against terrorists, and they don't want us to win. The Democrat Party has
well-earned its moniker as the anti-war "surrender party", despite its
protestations to the contrary. That being said, the political Left is
committed to depriving the Republicans of any type of victory in warfare,
especially in Iraq. On a broader scale, the Democrats will actively attempt
to fend off circumstances that could possibly play out favorably for the GOP
and impinge on the Democrat Party's ability to win elections.

Now let's examine the political landscape: Foremost, it's vital to
understand that Democrat elites will say and do anything to implement their
agenda, even if their strange machinations are tantamount to twisting
themselves into pretzels. As to the issue of Iraq? The political Left wants
us out of Iraq, demanding that our troops pursue al-Qaeda, the perpetrators
of 9/11. At a superficial glance, the Left's stance appears valid, but,
wait, it's totally off the mark! It's now indisputable that Iraq is the
primary front for al-Qaeda! If you want to fight al-Qaeda, there's actually
no better place than Iraq. General David Petraeus recently stated: "Iraq is,
in fact, the central front of al-Qaeda's global campaign." Frankly, this has
been known for a considerable period, but nevertheless it was Petraeus' turn
to put it on the record.

One has to ask what's really motivating the Democrats and why they've been
obsessed with troop withdrawal from Iraq. The simple truth is that the
Democrats and their Leftist cohorts are terrified that our troops might make
notable strides in Iraq, which would redound to President Bush and the GOP.
That being said, the Left doesn't want our forces where al-Qaeda can be
successfully engaged, which, of course, is in Iraq. And for this reason, the
Republican rank and file cannot stomach the Leftist elites who are willing
to sell out this nation for the sake of political expediency. Doesn't the
Left realize that sooner or later the American people will get wise to their
political chicanery? Our troops are exactly where they should be - in Iraq -
which has become something of a cause celeb for members of al-Qaeda. It must
be remembered that a victory in Iraq, against al-Qaeda, is a victory for all
of the American people.

As for further context, Al-Qaeda, aided by Iran and Syria, is orchestrating
sectarian violence in Iraq on all sides. They want Iraqis at each others'
throats, so that efforts at democracy and a stable government will fail.
Moreover, our troops can't leave precipitously, or you can bet your bottom
dollar that Iraq will become an entrenched terror haven, run by al-Qaeda and
Iran, with frightful implications for the US and the West. Left to their own
devices, al-Qaeda members would regroup, and aggressively launch terror
attacks on America. Make no mistake, we're fighting these terrorist in Iraq
out of our own self-interests, which is not adequately resonating with the
public.

Significantly, not all on the Left are willing to be saddled with the "soft
on terrorism" label, which undoubtedly is a political liability in a general
election. The most prominent individual on the Left who's thinking as an
adept political tactician is Mrs. Bill Clinton, and that's because she's
determined to get back into the White House. It goes without saying that her
husband Bill Clinton is partnering with her in this effort. Sure, Senator
Clinton is pandering to the Leftist Kook-fringe of activists during this
primary phase, but she's smart enough to preserve her ability to move to the
center in the very likely event that she becomes her party's presidential
candidate and standard bearer.

Hillary is poised to run for president and already has one of her salient
sound-bites lined up: When asked by Brian Williams (at a recent debate) how
she would react as president if two American cities were nuked by al-Qaeda,
Hillary responded: "I think a president must move as swiftly as is prudent
to retaliate. If we are attacked and we can determine who was behind that
attack, and if there were nations that supported or gave material aid to
those who attacked us, I believe we should quickly respond." That's an
excellent response that would appeal to the public at large. Although she's
a dyed-in-the-wool Leftist, Hillary Clinton is willing to say whatever it
takes to get elected, and she is well aware that this nation expects a tough
commander-in-chief to tackle terror. That being said, the GOP presidential
candidate will be able to access a treasure trove of sound-bites that will
demonstrate Hillary's less than supportive positions toward the military.
Most recently, Hillary has been making noises about rescinding the original
authorization to wage war in Iraq. Is that even possible? I think not.