Subject: Malkin on Ft. Dix's "John Doe"

Terrorist plot in Cherry Hill, NJ; illegal aliens among alleged plotters;
a John Doe turned them in; press conference at 2:30pm Eastern;
Fort Dix has been a refuge for ethnic Albanians; details from the complaint;
Dix responds
By  <http://michellemalkin.com/> Michelle Malkin   .
<http://michellemalkin.com/archives/007477.htm> May 08, 2007 08:26 AM

 <http://www.dix.army.mil/dixgarrison/default.html>
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/007477.htm

Update: The names of the suspects via one of the filed
<http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/Duka%20complaint.pdf> complaints:

Dritan Duka (illegal alien); Eliver Duka (illegal alien); Shain Duka
(illegal alien)
Serdar Tatar (the pizza deliverer...his family owns a pizzeria near Ft. Dix)
Mohamad Shnewer; Agron Abdullahu

Via Allahpundit: According to
<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/08/terror/main2773084.shtml> CBS
News, Shnewer is from Jordan and is the lone (naturalized) U.S. citizen of
the six; Tatar, from Turkey, and Abdallahu, from the former Yugoslavia, are
legal permanent residents. The illegal alien Duka brothers are also from the
former Yugoslavia.

>From the FBI affidavit, here's the John Doe moment:

 dixaffidavit.jpg
<http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/dixaffidavit.jpg>

The plotters watched videos of armed attacks on US soldiers, studied the
last will and testament of at least two of the 9/11 hijackers, and watched
bin Laden exhortations to jihad. They plotted with an FBI informant:

 dixaffidavit002.jpg
<http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/dixaffidavit002.jpg>

Here's a glimpse at their surveillance trips:

 dixaffidavit003.jpg
<http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/dixaffidavit003.jpg>

They trained, stocked up on weapons, and plotted for the next six months. By
February, they were up to this:

 dixaffidavit004.jpg
<http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/dixaffidavit004.jpg>

At one point, they contemplated joining the military to wage jihad from the
inside:

 dixaffidavit005.jpg
<http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/dixaffidavit005.jpg>

Update: Fort Dix responds:

FORT DIX SECURITY REMAINS STRINGENT

"Security at Fort Dix remains stringent in the wake of arrests Monday of six
men who were allegedly plotting a terrorist attack on the post. This alleged
attack is a reminder that we are a nation at war, and that each of us must
be vigilant and aware of our surroundings.

"On a positive note, the Fort Dix and McGuire AFB law enforcement community
has partnered with the FBI and local communities during this lengthy
investigation to ensure the safety of our joint installations.

"Mobilization and training continue as scheduled at Fort Dix, which has
mobilized and demobilized more than 95,000 Soldiers since September 11.

"Those passing through checkpoints onto Fort Dix will notice more frequent
vehicle searches and strict adherence to a 100 percent ID check, which may
slow traffic. "

***

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports on a
<http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_top/20070508_Report__Terrorists_arrest
ed_in_Cherry_Hill__plotted__Fort_Dix_attack.html> thwarted terrorist plot to
kill soldiers at Fort Dix: (hat tip- reader David B.)

The FBI arrested five people in Cherry Hill and one in Pennsylvania last
night for an alleged plot to kill soldiers at Fort Dix, a federal official
said. Some of the six men, who are Algerian [Albanian] citizens, tried to
purchase automatic weapons from a local gun dealer, the source said. Carolee
Nisbet, a public information officer at Fort Dix, said: "I understand that
they weren't just targeting Fort Dix, that it was a multiple-base plan to
attack several bases in the Northeast." She declined to elaborate. At the
base this morning, Nisbet said: "They are going to make the security
procedures more stringent, but we're not going to increase the threat level.
We are just going to make people more aware of their surroundings. WNBC-TV
in New York reports that three of the men are brothers and followers of
Islam, and have lived in the United States for several years. Five of the
men are expected to be arraigned in federal court in Camden today.

Updates galore
<http://hotair.com/archives/2007/05/08/breaking-feds-bust-six-in-nj-plot-to-
murder-troops-at-fort-dix/> here and
<http://confederateyankee.mu.nu/archives/225639.php> here.

 <http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/05/fort_dix_murder_plot_foiled.php> PJM notes
that a press conference is scheduled for 2:30pm Eastern.

<http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/05/6_arrested_in_plot_to_kill_sol.htm
l> This won't be a surprise to many of you. Not to me:

Federal investigators last night arrested six Islamic radicals who were
planning a heavily-armed attack against soldiers at Fort Dix as part of a
jihad against America, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

In a statement released this morning to confirm a report on The
Star-Ledger's Web site, the U.S. Attorney's Office said the men planned to
"kill as many soldiers as possible."

Officials would not comment beyond the brief statement. But two law
enforcement sources said the men had conducted surveillance of the Army base
and were caught allegedly attempting to purchase AK-47s to carry out their
plan.

The bust came after several of them were lured to a meeting with an
arms-seller who turned out to be a secret FBI informant, said both sources,
who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak about the
arrests.

Some of the would-be attackers have been illegally in the United States,
while others are illegal immigrants, according to the U.S. Attorney's
Office. Four are ethnic Albanians, one was born in Turkey, and a sixth was
born in Jordan, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office.

And it looks like we have  <http://michellemalkin.com/archives/007190.htm>
an alert John Doe to thank for helping to turn the plotters in:

"They were prepared to die," said the law enforcement source. "We became
increasingly convinced this was for real and these guys were ready to roll."

The FBI had the group under surveillance for more than a year, the source
said. The men had scouted out Dover Air Force Base and Fort Monmouth before
settling on Fort Dix, a base that is used to mobilize troops to Iraq, said
the source.

The men - several of whom were in the same family - had videotaped their
practice sessions in the Poconos, the source said. That videotape, in which
they railed against America, led to their arrests.

The men made the mistake of bringing it to a retail store, seeking to get a
copy burned to a DVD, according to one of the sources. A store employee who
later watched the tape called the FBI who began immediately investigating.

Store employee, whoever you are: thank you. Watch your back. The
CAIR-mongers may be on their way.

***

What a way to show their gratitude.
<http://www.cnn.com/US/9906/06/fort.dix/> Flashback June 1999:

The sounds of Islamic calls to prayer echo across Fort Dix, temporary host
to thousands of ethnic Albanians who fled war-ravaged Kosovo. But the U.S.
Army base will soon play final taps for the refugee resettlement program
that should end this month.

"I feel like I'm in a paradise," one Kosovar explained, as she described the
base that has been a haven for about 4,000 refugees.

With nationwide settlement efforts in full swing, the military has no plans
to bring other refugees to the makeshift village.

So far, 500 Kosovars have been relocated; about 100 are scheduled to leave
daily. All the refugees should know by mid-June where they will be going,
officials said.

"This was always intended to be a temporary facility," said Michael Kharfen,
spokesman for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

After arriving at Fort Dix from camps in Macedonia, the refugees received
medical checkups, security clearances and U.S. government documents.

 <http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=42932> More on how our
military welcomed the refugees:

FORT DIX, N.J., June 15, 1999 - For those meeting planes and buses bearing
Kosovo's ethnic Albanians, welcoming war-weary refugees to the United States
was like stepping into America's past.

"We want to welcome these people to America the way we might wish our
grandparents and great-grandparents had been welcomed to Ellis Island," U.S.
Army Gen. Mitchell M. Zais, said he had told troops assigned to Operation
Provide Refuge...The general, head of Joint Task Force Provide Refuge, said
he recalled his own family history as the first planeload of about 450
refugees came down the ramp May 5 at McGuire Air Force Base, N.J. "The
babushka-covered ladies looked as I imagined my grandmother looked when she
came across the gangplank at Ellis Island -- an illiterate peasant refugee
from Central Europe, driven out of Kiev by the pogroms," he said...

...Fort Dix was the place to go for the more than 4,000 Kosovar refugees who
arrived here in May. Landing at McGuire after a 13- hour trans-Atlantic
charter flight, they boarded buses for a quick ride to this quiet,
tree-lined Army Reserve post. A former basic training center, Fort Dix
offered a temporary safe haven, and a host of service members, civilians and
volunteers worked to make the refugees comfortable.

...Zais gathered a team of about 80 soldiers from the U.S. Army Reserve
Command in Atlanta and about 200 soldiers from the airborne corps and other
units from Fort Bragg, N.C. The New Jersey National Guard assumed the lead
in partnership with the American Red Cross in coordinating charitable
donations from private individuals, U.S. corporations, church groups and
other organizations.

With the help of Fort Dix officials, the military went to work to support
the refugee camp named "The Village." The military also supported the relief
effort's interagency task force, headed by the Health and Human Services
Department and including federal agencies, nongovernment resettlement
organizations and volunteer groups.

...Shortly after the first Albanians arrived, Zais said, a foreign reporter
asked if it was appropriate to bring these refugees to a military
installation after they had been traumatized by Serb soldiers in Kosovo. The
general replied that only the Yugoslav army uniform would strike terror in
their hearts.

"It's been my experience in Vietnam, in Korea, in the Middle East, and
everywhere else I've traveled through Central and South America, that the
American soldier is loved around the world for his compassion and
generosity," he said. "The only people who fear American soldiers are those
who have a good reason to."