Fort Dix Suspects' Lives Gave Few Clues

Suspects Gave Little Clues to What Authorities Say Was a Plot to Harm
Soldiers at Fort Dix

By KATHY MATHESON

The Associated Press

CHERRY HILL, N.J.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=3153512

Each summer, the family two doors down from Michael Levine in this affluent
suburb of Philadelphia would bring over baskets of vegetables they had grown
in their backyard.

The three brothers owned a roofing business, and the women in the ethnic
Albanian family wore head scarves. They kept farm animals in the backyard
until others in the neighborhood of tidy two-story houses complained, Levine
said.

Authorities say the brothers' unremarkable blue-collar lives belied the
mayhem they allegedly planned to unleash with others in a plot to kill
hundreds of soldiers at Fort Dix. They and three other foreign-born Muslims
living in the area were arrested Monday night.

"You would not think that they would be capable of plotting something like
this," Levine said of the brothers. "When I found out this morning, my heart
stopped."

Eljvir Duka, 23, Dritan Duka, 28, and Shain Duka, 26, were charged in the
alleged plot to storm Fort Dix with automatic machine guns and semiautomatic
rifles and kill as many soldiers as they could.

Also arrested were Mohamad Ibrahim Shnewer, 22, of Cherry Hill; Serdar
Tatar, 23, of Philadelphia; and Agron Abdullahu, 24, of Buena Vista
Township. Shnewer and Tatar were charged in the alleged plot; Abdullahu was
charged with aiding and abetting the Duka brothers' illegal possession of
weapons.

The Duka brothers were born in the former Yugoslavia and residing illegally
in the U.S. Shnewer, a native of Jordan; Tatar, a native of Turkey; and
Abdullahu, who was born in the former Yugoslavia, are legal residents.

Dritan and Shain Duka once owned a pizza shop in Turnersville, N.J., about
35 miles from Fort Dix. They sold it in June 2005 to Tony Giordano, who now
operates it as Tony Soprano's Pizza, Giordano said. He said it was "a filthy
rat trap" before he remodeled it.

"I had a brief encounter with" Dritan Duka, who goes by Tony, Giordano said.
"They weren't the friendliest people, but then again, who would know
something like that?"

Levine recalled seeing some of the Dukas shooting paintballs at trees in
their front yard, an incident that seemed harmless at the time. Authorities
say the group spoke of playing paintball as a training exercise for the
attack.

Shnewer, a cab driver in Philadelphia who comes across in the criminal
complaint as the group's dominant figure, lived just a few miles away.

Neighbors there said four or five families appeared to be living in the
house and there were frequent visitors, but they did not mingle with their
neighbors.

"They kept to themselves," said Don Bauer, 40, who lives across the street.

Abdullahu had worked recently at a ShopRite food market, according to
authorities. He worked as a bakery supervisor after emigrating to the United
States from Kosovo in 1999, said his cousin, Arsim Abdullahu, of New York
City, in a telephone interview.

They last spoke by phone about seven months ago and have not seen each other
for about five years, he said. Arsim Abdullahu said he could not remember
anything that would suggest his cousin would get involved in an alleged
terrorist plot.

"It's nothing I did and it's not like it's my problem," he said. "We have a
law here. The law should take care of him, not me."

According to a neighbor in northeast Philadelphia, Tatar didn't have much
money and lived in a large apartment building with his pregnant wife.
Authorities said his last known job was at a 7-Eleven convenience store in
Philadelphia.

Neighbor Stacie Gandlina said she saw the federal agents who raided Tatar's
apartment and tried to console his in-laws after his arrest Monday night.

"I said, 'If he is nice, they will let him go. If he is bad, why do you need
a bad son-in-law? They have to check,'" Gandlina said Tuesday.

According to authorities, Tatar worked at Super Mario's Ristorante in
Cookstown, at the northwestern edge of Fort Dix. Mario Tummillo, who lives
near Tatar's father in Cookstown, said he knows Tatar and had worked with
him at the pizza parlor.

Tummillo, 20, described Tatar as a religious man who "wasn't violent at
all."

He recalled Tatar praying in the back of the restaurant and said Tatar often
talked about religion, bringing it up in conversations about other subjects.

"He would start talking about how you should worship God," Tummillo said.

Associated Press writers Mark Scolforo in Harrisburg, Pa., Patrick Walters
in Philadelphia, Deborah Yao in Cookstown and David Porter in Newark, N.J.,
contributed to this story.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.