They have already linked themselve to Islam...and, of COURSE, CAIR would say
this.

Bruce

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/05/10/publiceye/entry2785624.shtml

CAIR Says Not To Link Dix Six To Islam

Posted by  <javascript:loadAuthor('publiceye', 500486, 'Brian_Montopoli')>
Brian Montopoli

(AP Photo/Andrea Shepard)
I missed this yesterday, but Greg Pollowitz
<http://media.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZWM1NWE1YWU5ZmExNTZhMzVlYjVjZTUwNDU
zOWM5ZjM=> flags a
<http://www.cair.com/default.asp?Page=articleView&id=2736&theType=NR>
statement from The Council on American-Islamic Relations that contains a
noteworthy request: that "media outlets and public officials refrain from
linking [the Fort Dix] case to the faith of Islam."

The men alleged to have plotted the attack are Muslim, and,
<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/08/ap/national/main2777304.shtml?sou
rce=search_story> according to court papers, "several of them said they were
ready to kill and die 'in the name of Allah.'"

On one level I understand why CAIR would not want the case linked to the
faith of Islam, as these men are clearly not representative of the majority
of Muslims. But media outlets should not be in the business of selectively
suppressing information.

The fact that these men are Muslim may make some people more antagonistic
towards all Muslims, and that's unfortunate. But it is not the role of
journalists to make judgments about which facts to report and which to
suppress, unless there are mitigating circumstances such as national
security issues. The faith of these men is part of the story, and, whenever
possible, the story should be told in full.

In the age of the Internet, of course, it would be extremely difficult for
reporters to keep the facts secret even if they wanted to. But if they
could, and did, it would only lead frustrated news consumers to traffic in
rumors that could do far more damage than the facts. Can you imagine what
people might have assumed about the Virginia Tech shooter if the press corps
had not identified him and discussed his motivations and background?

The Asian American Journalist Association
<http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/04/17/publiceye/entry2693705.shtml>
called on media outlets to move in that direction, requesting that they
"avoid using racial identifiers unless there is a compelling or germane
reason" in identifying the shooter. But in situations like Virginia Tech and
Fort Dix, there is always a compelling and germane reason to fully identify
those involved: The obligation of a free press to put all the facts out
there and let us come to our own conclusions, even if they're flawed. To do
otherwise would be to engage in something approaching social control, and
that's what our press corps is for.