21/7 bomb suspect 'desperate man'

Last Updated: Friday, 11 May 2007, 21:53 GMT 22:53 UK

Manfo Asiedu

Manfo Asiedu is accused of involvement in the July 21 plot

An alleged 21 July bomb plotter who turned against a co-defendant was
described as a "desperate man who has freaked out" during a court hearing.

Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, 34, has rejected the claim that the failed attacks were
hoax demonstrations over the Iraq war.

But Yassin Omar, 26, told Woolwich Crown Court said Mr Asiedu had made up
his story to avoid going to jail.

It is claimed Mr Asiedu had been supposed to target White City tube station
but lost his nerve.

Mr Omar, 26, said Mr Asiedu had made up his story to avoid going to jail.

He said: "I feel sorry for him. He is just a desperate man who has freaked
out.

"Not many people can stand here and accept what happened. He said to me,
'I'm not going to go down for this stupid demonstration.'

"He is making up stuff. It's very sad what happened."

Stephen Kamlish QC, defending Mr Asiedu, accused Mr Omar of changing his
mind about giving evidence in court.

But he denied this, saying: "I'm not going to chicken out."

He maintains that the rucksack devices were a protest against the Iraq war
and that he never intended to kill or injure anyone.

The pair are among six men accused of attacking London's transport network
on 21 July 2005.

They all deny conspiracy to murder and to cause explosions.

Mr Omar, of New Southgate, north London, is charged alongside Muktar Said
Ibrahim, 29, from Stoke Newington, north London; Ramzi Mohammed, 25, of
North Kensington, west London; Hussain Osman, 28, of no fixed address; Adel
Yahya, 24, of High Road, Tottenham, north London; and Mr Asiedu, 34, of no
fixed address.