http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/2007/05/strength_and_ho.htm

Strength And Honor

Could someone deliver us
And send us some kind of sign?
So close to giving up
'Cause faith is so hard to find

I don't believe in Fate. Not in the sense of an unalterable destiny, some
grim, unavoidable future that sweeps us up and dashes us against the rocks
of predetermined events. Such visions reduce us to insensate flotsam bobbing
in a maelstrom we can neither control nor escape.

Perhaps this is hubris.

If it is, I'd rather be guilty of overweening pride than fall victim to the
kind of attenuated ennui that afflicts so many of my generation; the effete
moral lethargy that automatically equates faith with oppression,
disagreement with censorship, the capacity for moral judgment with racism
and intolerance. But oddly enough, though I doubt the existence of a fixed
destiny, I've never for a moment doubted that some things happen for a
reason.

Perhaps they happen to offer us a choice, a fork in the road. What we do,
when we come to that fork, reveals our character for all the world to see:

America is caught up in a debate of whether we should bring our troops home
or if we should make one last attempt to bring peace and stability to Iraq.
Yet, we don't pay attention to the details of the war. Last weekend, an
American hero received one of the Army's highest honors - a Silver Star. His
award was largely unnoticed, overshadowed by Paris Hilton's incarceration.

Late last year, Major James Gant and his men were returning home to Baghdad
after weeks of fighting insurgents. Gant and his advisory team were riding
in up-armored HMMWVs. These were not the HMMWVs of Jessica Lynch's era.
These were mini-tanks on tires with bullet proof-glass, blast-proof armor
plate and turret mounted machineguns. His men, Iraqi National Police, were
riding in soft-skinned trucks.

 gant.jpg
<http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/home/cassandr/public_html/vcblog/ar
chives/gant.jpg>

Gant and his interpreter, Mack, in front of their up-armored HMMWV

Al-Qaeda had planned an elaborate running ambush in which they hoped to
destroy the unit that had been their nemesis for more than a month. They had
prepared three separate ambush sites along a four kilometer stretch of road.
Gant and his commandos were forced to run a gauntlet of machinegun fire,
mortar attacks and IEDs. The story of Gant's, fight that day is an amazing
tale of heroism, filled with scenes you would expect to see on the silver
screen. Gant repeatedly risked his life to save others. The insurgents had
planted IEDs hoping that an explosion would force the embattled convoy to
stop.

Gant ordered his driver to drive straight for the first IED. As they rolled
within twenty feet, the device detonated. Miraculously, Gant's HMMWV was
unscathed. Gant kept the column moving through a vicious gun battle. Another
IED lie only five hundred yards ahead. Again, they went after the planted
explosive and, again, a thunderous explosion failed to disable Gant's
vehicle. Almost clear of the ambush, Gant noticed a third IED. He continued
to push forward, bringing his convoy safely through the torrent of fire. Had
Gant hesitated, good men would have died.

Last weekend, Major Gant spoke at his award ceremony. He has personally made
the sacrifice to bring peace and stability to the people of Iraq, and he
continues to sacrifice every day. Here is what a soldier, a hero, had to say
about our current debate:

The best friend I have ever had is an Iraqi. He is the best man I have ever
known. He fought with me on 11 December. He can't go home after a hard day
of work. He can't see his father or mother or brother. He can't live any
type of normal life because every time he leaves the [Green Zone], people
want to kill him. I bet you would not be so fast to want to leave here if
you knew him.

If you knew Colonel Dhafer, a great commander and leader, ...one of the best
friends I have ever had, if you knew Major Fadil, who pulled me out of a
burning [HMMWV]., if you knew Captain Khais, if you knew Salaam, or Abbas,
or Ali; all are brave warriors who fought with incredible courage that day
and I would gladly and without hesitation lay my life down for all of them.
If you knew them as I do, you would not be so quick to want to leave. If you
could see with your own eyes the evil that is perpetrated on innocent men,
women and children here on a daily basis, you would not be so quick to call
it quits.

Colonel Dhafer, you and brave men like you are the hope and future of your
country. I wish I were the hope and future of my country. Because if I were,
I would not leave you until this job was done. No matter the sacrifice. No
matter the price.

 dhafer.jpg
<http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/home/cassandr/public_html/vcblog/ar
chives/dhafer.jpg>

Colonel Dhafer congratulating Major Gant

Is it any wonder that so many Americans don't understand what we are doing
in Iraq, when the Main Stream Media does not tell us stories like that of
Major James Gant and his Iraqi comrades? How can we understand the Iraqi
people when we don't even know what our sons and daughters are doing to
bring peace and stability to the people of Iraq?

Iraq is so much more than car bombs and IEDs.

Richard S. Lowry is the award winning author of the best selling book,
"Marines in the Garden of Eden," Berkley, New York, 2006. He is an
internationally recognized military historian and author. Richard served in
the U.S. Navy Submarine Service from 1967-1975 and spent the time from 1975
to 2002 designing sophisticated integrated circuits for everything from
aircraft avionics to home computers. Richard turned to serious writing after
9/11 and published "The Gulf War Chronicles," iUniverse, New York, in 2002.
He is currently working on his next book project. "The Surge" will tell of
General Petraeus' attempt to win the peace in Iraq. For more information on
Richard and his work, visit www.marinesinthegardenofeden.com.

I haven't told you what prompted my little dissertation on Fate. This
morning something magical happened, or at least it seemed so to me.

Someone stopped by and left a comment on something I wrote a long time ago:
<http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/2006/08/the_boys_of_sum_1.
html>

How often have I wished that this were all just a bad dream I could wake up
from? That there would be no more somber dawns when I check my email hoping
for a joke and learn, instead, that somewhere halfway across America a
uniformed Marine waits on a silent doorstep, dreading that moment when he
must forever shatter someone's world? Or know that someone like me is
haunted by the memory of suddenly stilled laughter, a remembered joke, or
just the gladdening sight of that brightly haloed energy that seems to
forever surround the young? They seem to get younger every year. To those of
us with children of our own, they often seem just babies. Our children. Our
darlings.

Our own.

The thing about Wash is this: I didn't know him, but someone I love did.
Someone I have never met, but who has come in that odd alchemy that is the
Internet to be incredibly dear to me. And so I mourn for him too. He has
become family. I don't understand this, but it is one of the strange changes
that began to transform me on September 11th. I don't think I will ever be
the same person I was before that awful morning. It was so much easier for
me to shut things out then, to pretend they had nothing to do with me. To
close my eyes and pretend they weren't there.

But the thing I understand, though I didn't know Wash, is that he was there
when it counted. It was important to him to be there. Whatever he thought in
the still hours of the night when the stars slip out one by one to stand
watch with lonely men half a world away, he wasn't a child or a fool or, as
those links I didn't click on stridently averred, someone who died for
George Bush. He was a man, a warrior, someone who took pride in what he did.
Someone who, even though he joined the Marines to fight, did his job well
and without complaint.

He was, quite simply, a sheepdog
<http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/2007/05/the_sheep_gener.ht
ml> .

And so, when I read things like this
<http://hotair.com/archives/2007/05/10/majority-of-iraqi-mps-endorse-bill-de
manding-timetable-for-us-withdrawal/> , even though I may be momentarily
tempted to feel bitter, to become cynical, to throw in with the 'it's not
worth it' crowd, I have to stop and remember who I am. And more importantly,
who they were. And are: the Americans and the Iraqis who stand between us
and those who would destroy everything we hold dear.

It's easy to make generalizations, to lump people into categories. But what
if Iraq judged us all by Harry Reid? Dear God in heaven, what if they judge
us by our Congress? That is not the test.

The burden of civilization has always been carried upon the backs of a very
few. Most of us are free riders; we coast on the efforts of far better men
than we can ever hope to be. And if we are relying on the mainstream media
to bring us tales of heroism and honesty and integrity, I fear we shall wait
a very long time. Yet those tales exist.

Ask Major Gantt.

And then put this war, with all its casualties and daily setbacks, its
moments of triumph and bitter shame, into the context of history. This is a
letter, not a binding parliamentary vote. How often have bills come up in
our own Congress only to wither on the vine for lack of support when push
came to shove? And as to our losses, though they are grievous they too have
a place in history. The total number of casualties we've suffered since 2001
is roughly comparable to our losses in one day at the battle of
<http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_died_on_D-Day> Normandy.

One day.

Yet we say we are tired of war. We have had enough of suffering. We, the
richest nation on earth, cannot afford to go on.

But we support the troops, who believe in what they are doing. Oddly, they
are not too tired; though they don't spend their time relaxing in
comfortable surroundings, shopping and surfing the Internet as we here at
home do. They are too busy. I will give up when they say it is time to give
up, and not one moment sooner.

Because they are the ones who have bought and paid for this fight with their
blood. They are the ones who are there, seeing it all first hand. They are
the ones I trust to tell me when it is time, and we owe them something.

We owe them a little bit of intestinal fortitude. Because everything in life
is a choice, and it's what you do when you come to those difficult forks in
the road that shows what you are made of. Somehow it seems to me that our
road is not all that hard.

And our path is crystal clear; at least if honor still means anything.