A Counterattack in Gun Wars

Georgia May Ban Probes by City

By  <http://www.nysun.com/authors/Bradley+Hope> BRADLEY HOPE
Staff Reporter of the Sun
May 16, 2007

In what may mark a coalescing of Southern pro-gun politicians against
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Michael+Bloomberg> Mayor
Bloomberg, two  <http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Georgia>
Georgia lawmakers said they want to follow
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Virginia> Virginia's lead in
passing a law that would prevent
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=New+York+City> New York City
from unilaterally sending private investigators across state lines to
investigate gun dealers.

"We want to require they get our cooperation," the chairman of the Georgia
House's Rules Committee,
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Earl+Ehrhart> Earl Ehrhart, a
Republican, said. "We have indoor plumbing. We have books that don't have
bark on the outside of them. We can handle our own law enforcement. . This
is anti-Southern bigotry."

Mr. Bloomberg has been dealing with a riled-up pro-gun community since the
city last year filed civil lawsuits against 27 gun dealers in five states.
The suit was based on evidence gathered by the mayor's private investigators
that the city alleges shows dealers breaking the law.

The city paid the James Mintz Group $800,000 to carry out "straw purchases,"
the term for someone filling out the paperwork and buying a gun that is
intended for someone else. Twelve of the dealers alleged to have improperly
sold guns have settled with the city by agreeing to allow a special master
full access to their stores for three years.

The governor of Virginia,
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Tim+Kaine> Timothy Kaine, a
Democrat, and the General Assembly approved a law in March that makes it a
felony to conduct similar investigations without supervision from local
authorities or the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.

The president pro tempore of the Georgia Senate,
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Eric+Johnson> Eric Johnson, a
Republican, said Mr. Bloomberg's investigations were "desperate, strong-arm
tactics."

" Georgians - they like their civil rights," he said. "If they are going to
be investigated or accused, they want it to be Georgia or federal law
enforcement."

Messrs. Ehrhart and Johnson said they were separately researching the issue
and considering introducing a bill in the next legislative session, starting
in January.

"Trying to stop the flow of illegal guns is a noble cause and he ought to be
doing it," Mr. Johnson said. "The issue here is that he's using private
investigators to cross state lines and then lying on application forms to
get guns. That doesn't prove the gun dealer did anything wrong. They
followed the federal gun law."

Mr. Bloomberg's criminal justice coordinator,
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=John+Feinblatt> John
Feinblatt, said that preventing illegal guns from entering New York City is
not a North versus South issue. Forty-seven of the 226 members of Mayors
Against Illegal Guns, a coalition founded by Mr. Bloomberg and Mayor Menino
of Boston, are from cities south of the Mason-Dixon line, he said. ( The New
York Sun reported in March that four mayors from rural, pro-gun areas have
dropped out of the coalition.)

"We're going to do what it takes to protect New Yorkers and what it takes to
protect cops," Mr. Feinblatt said.

He said the city would comply with all laws while conducting future
investigations. The city provided the ATF and U.S. attorneys with
information uncovered in the sting operations, he said, and has turned over
information received from whistleblowers.

The stores targeted in Georgia have many times the number of crime gun
traces than the average gun store, Mr. Feinblatt said, adding that seven of
the eight stores had been identified in prior federal prosecutions of
crimes.

"We didn't uncover a secret," he said. "What we did was act when nobody else
was willing to."

Still, the cultural ramifications of New York City-sponsored investigators
is playing out in Virginia.

Tomorrow night, a pro-gun group, Virginia Citizens Defense League, is
holding a "Bloomberg Gun Giveaway" raffle to support gun dealers targeted in
the sting operations. The president of the group,
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Van+Cleave> Philip Van
Cleave, said 2,500 tickets were awarded people who spent more than $100 at
two dealers targeted in Virginia. The first prize is a firearm and other
prizes include a Weber gas grill and a laser device used to sight a gun.

"These guys were innocent businessmen who are being destroyed just so some
guy can puff out his chest and run for president," Mr. Van Cleave said.
"That's what really got to us."

Mr. Kaine has criticized the "giveaway," which is being held at a government
building in Annandale, but didn't address Mr. Bloomberg's wider gun
campaign.

"The governor, a Democrat, is very careful," the director of the University
of Virginia's Center for Politics,
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Larry+Sabato> Larry Sabato,
said. "He tiptoes around the NRA. Second Amendment rights are prized
especially in the South."

At stake in this public clash, Mr. Sabato said, is support for the mayor's
potential presidential bid.

"If Mayor Bloomberg is serious about running for president, then this action
will cost him many states in the South, in the border region, and the Rocky
Mountain region," he said.

A professor of history at the University of Georgia, James Cobb, author of
"Away Down South: A History of Southern Identity," said the reaction of the
Georgia lawmakers would probably be shared among other people from the area.

"If you scratch a Southerner very deeply, you are going to find someone who
is very resentful of even a hint of Northern condescension," he said.

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=11648958/grpspId=1705447214/msgI
d=32879/stime=1179313510/nc1=4438979/nc2=3848619/nc3=3848528>