http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=757802007

Al-Qaeda suspect 'tortured until he bit artery in arm'

LOLITA BALDOR IN WASHINGTON

A PAKISTANI terrorism suspect claimed he was tortured by the US to the point
where he tried to kill himself by biting an artery in his arm, according to
a transcript released yesterday by the Pentagon.

Majid Khan, in a written statement, said he had no connection to al-Qaeda
and that the CIA and US defence department tortured him after his capture in
Pakistan and again when he was transferred to the US detention facility at
Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

<http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/3554/0/0/%2a/k;42133315;0-0;0;13060
847;237-250/250;17674870/17692765/1;;~sscs=%3fhttp://members.scotsman.com/ma
ilinglists.cfm?list=13>

"I swear to God this place is in some sense worse than CIA jails. I am being
mentally tortured here," said Khan in a statement read out about his time in
Guantanamo. "There is extensive torture for the smallest infractions."

Khan, who is the only US resident among 15 detainees the government
considers most dangerous, also described suicide attempts where he "chewed
my artery which goes through my elbow", during a hearing.

The CIA and Pentagon have said their interrogations are legal and they use
no torture.

Khan's father, however, provided the most graphic descriptions of his son's
treatment at the hands of US authorities. In a written statement Ali Shoukat
Khan said his son was kidnapped in Pakistan and that there Americans
tortured him "for eight hours at a time, tying him tightly in stressful
positions in a small chair until his hands, feet and mind went numb".

"He was often hooded and had difficulty breathing. They also beat him
repeatedly, slapping him in the face, and deprived him of sleep," he said.

The elder Mr Khan, a retired petrol station owner, said his son was not a
terrorist and demanded the government "give him a fair trial in a real
court".

The government said Majid Khan told others that he wanted to "martyr
himself" in a plot to assassinate Pakistan's president, Pervez Musharraf.

They quoted his father and brother saying Khan was involved with "a group he
believed to be al-Qaeda" and was involved in moving people across the border
between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The US government says Kahn and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, suspected mastermind
of the 9/11 attacks, plotted to blow up petrol stations and poison
reservoirs.