U.S. Critical Infrastructure in Serious Jeopardy

- Aaron Turner, Idaho National Labs, CSO

May 04, 2007  http://www.cio.com/article/print/107904

<http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/idg.us.cio/article;pg=107904;bsize=na;idy=ut
ilities;pg=security;lvl2=security;lvl1=infrastructure;type=technology;root=h
ome;pos=imu;tile=3;sz=336x280;ord=1179330642550?>
Editor's Note: Materials in this article taken from Aaron Turner's
Congressional testimony given before the Homeland Security subcommittee.

Today, we find ourselves at a crossroads, where millions of infrastructure
components are connected to networks, allowing hackers access to systems
that were never designed to be exposed to network attacks.

While recent cybersecurity incidents, such as theft of personal information,
denial-of-service attacks and large-scale system compromises have impacted
the Internet and connected computing systems, it needs to be emphasized that
there has not yet been a widespread focus by hackers on the control systems
that underlie our nation's infrastructure. Currently, vendors, asset owners,
incident responders and information security experts do not fully appreciate
the potential threat that exists to our infrastructure due to the risks
created by vulnerabilities in control system technologies. The pervasive use
of technology, drive to ubiquitous connectivity and reduction in human
oversight in control systems have introduced critical vulnerabilities in our
infrastructure. The electricity we depend on, the water we drink, the
petroleum we use to get from place to place, and financial systems we use
for trade are all at some risk of being targeted and compromised.

The Departments of Energy and Homeland Security have funded 12 separate
control system security reviews, during which Idaho National Labs (INL)
experts have found that all of the evaluated systems suffer from high-impact
security vulnerabilities that could be exploited by a low-skill-level
attacker, using techniques that do not require physical access to systems.
In reviewing the design and implementation of these control systems, the INL
team discovered that in currently deployed systems, enhanced security
controls cannot easily be implemented while still assuring basic system
functionality.

With computer attackers constantly looking for new targets, they will follow
the path of least resistance, which could lead them to the control systems
that underlie our infrastructure. Information security experts, such as Alan
Paller of the SANS Institute, agree that without implementing risk
mitigations, control systems will continue to be vulnerable. Based on
historical examples of cybersecurity incidents in other technology domains,
the corrections will most likely begin with small-scale incidents focused on
economic gain, followed by the release of publicly available vulnerability
discovery tools, and then transition to large-scale incidents designed to
reduce confidence in the infrastructure systems themselves.

As was reported by a government analyst in 2006 at a discussion in
Williamsburg, Va., criminal extortion schemes have already occurred, where
attackers have exploited control system vulnerabilities for economic gain.
In December 2006, an automated control system vulnerability scanner was
released, allowing individuals with relatively little experience in control
systems to quickly identify vulnerabilities. Following past correction
trends, we may be on the path toward widespread vulnerability and
exploitation.

Another cause for concern is the increasing capability of hackers. In a
recent paper published by IBM, experts agreed that attackers are forming a
hacking industry, an underground economy that is quickly becoming a mature
industry taking advantage of economies of scale with efficient distribution
and communication channels. Raimund Genes, chief technical officer of Trend
Micro, has stated that this underground digital economy generated more
revenue than the $26 billion that legitimate security vendors generated in
2005.

Today's "just in time" markets are more susceptible to control system
security issues, whether it is the electrical utility industry, petroleum
production and refining, transportation or other essential services. In the
limited control system reviews and testing that INL has conducted, we have
modeled scenarios where simplistic attacks originating from the Internet
could:

*       degrade electric grid capacity

*       impact petroleum refinery processes

*       interrupt transportation networks

*       compromise potable water systems

This list is composed of a brief sampling of potential outcomes. It should
also be noted that the interconnected nature of our infrastructure increases
the potential for a high-impact correction. Based on the Department of
Energy's research of the post-Katrina impacts on infrastructure, the second-
and third-order impacts were in sectors not directly related to the
infrastructure components destroyed by the hurricane.

Complex Systems, System Imbalance and Large-Scale Corrections
The development of our nation's society and economy has been based upon our
successful use of technology to improve efficiency and
productivity-resulting in the quality of life that many U.S. citizens enjoy
today. The implementation of technology-reliant systems has resulted in the
creation of some of the most complex systems mankind has ever engineered.
Key examples of these systems and their complexity include our nation's
financial markets, telecommunications systems, and the national electric
grid.

History provides us with consistent lessons about complex systems and the
way that they can impact our society and economy when they become unstable
or are subject to critical vulnerabilities. There are two historical
examples that we can focus on to learn important lessons about system
complexity, security vulnerabilities in those systems, and the effects of
having to respond to threats to those systems in an efficient and effective
manner-specifically, the events surrounding the 1929 financial markets
crisis and the worldwide Internet worm events of 2003.

In order for complex systems to be efficient, they require balance. When
they are out of balance is when they are most vulnerable, and instability
can cause loss of confidence in the systems themselves. In financial
markets, the term "correction" has been adopted to describe how an unstable
situation regains its balance. Such was the case in 1929 when the
introduction of technologies, such as the telephone and stock ticker,
allowed for the creation of a truly national financial market. These
technologies were used to assure convenient communication of information
between individuals on a scale that had not been available previously.
Unfortunately, the convenience of communicating information did not
necessarily ensure the consistency or ethics of communication between
investors. This resulted in a situation where technology facilitated the
creation of a large-scale system, but a relatively small number of people
capitalized on the manipulation or control of information. The financial
system rapidly went out of balance, and this necessitated a large-scale
correction.

Since 1929, our nation has worked to implement controls that will keep our
financial markets balanced and efficient, and as a society we have assigned
clear responsibility for enforcing rules to ensure a balanced and
sustainable financial system. Unfortunately, the maturity found in financial
market controls is not present in the area of control system security.

Just as in the events leading up to the financial crisis of 1929, there were
similar indications of an upcoming service disruption in the years preceding
the Internet worm incidents of 2003. The wide-scale implementation of
technology resulted in the largest computer network that had ever been
created. The ubiquity of Internet connectivity motivated many governments,
private entities and individuals to connect their computers to the network
to take advantage of the new communication opportunities. This
full-speed-ahead approach to the Internet was undertaken without any
coordinated oversight or planning, and it was assumed that its use involved
relatively few risks.

Prior to 2003, relatively little attention was given to securing components
connected to the Internet. Most of the efforts of security professionals
were directed at securing the core network services that the Internet relied
on and not the distributed components that were connected to the network,
which resulted in systems that were significantly out of balance that
impacted computer users who were connected to the Internet. The first event
was the SQL Slammer Worm that compromised hundreds of thousands of computers
and generated enough network traffic to interrupt Internet connectivity for
most of the world's computer users. The second event of 2003 was the Blaster
Worm that infected millions of computer systems worldwide and, again,
interrupted Internet service on a global scale.

The impacts of the 2003 events provide examples of how technology has
already become a core part of the services that we rely on. When the Slammer
worm was coursing through the Internet, Bank of America's debit and credit
card operations were impacted, denying customers the opportunity to make any
transactions using their bank cards. These incidents signaled a change in
the way that individuals can and do exploit system instability. The problems
with market fluctuations in 1929 resulted from thousands of people
interacting with the system, but the Slammer and Blaster worms were created
by a small number of individuals.

The correction that resulted in the case of the 2003 incidents was a
significant shift in the resources dedicated to computer and Internet
security. Instead of focusing on securing just the core services, the owners
of the connected components began dedicating resources to secure their own
systems. Within months, technology vendors began implementing processes and
technologies to enable systems to be more resilient to Internet-based
attacks. I look back at my participation in the design and implementation of
improved technology updating services while at Microsoft and still remember
the enormous challenge we faced in the days following Slammer and Blaster.
The problem of creating a system that provides universal access to updates
while still allowing system owners the flexibility they need to operate
predictably creates a paradox that has yet to be resolved. Looking across
the technology industry, each vendor and system owner has taken a different
approach to managing the risks associated with interconnected systems.

As a result of the current fragmented approach to ensuring system
resiliency, information security professionals have had to continue to shift
resources as the threats and vulnerabilities constantly change from day to
day, with very little time to look at the problem and limited resources to
coordinate a long-term strategy. For those who are seeking a strategic view,
the trend that can be identified in the cybersecurity realm is that the
threats consistently migrate on a path of least resistance, meaning that
where one service or component may be protected, the attackers will move to
another service or component, continuously seeking out the easiest entry
points to achieve their objectives. Examples of this shift are evident in
the way that core Internet services were protected after initial
denial-of-service attacks in the mid 1990s, the increased focus on operating
system security after the operating systems of Internet-connected computers
were attacked in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and the increase in
application-specific attacks that have been seen in the past two years.

In light of the 2003 Internet worms and subsequent cybersecurity incidents,
it is important to review the current state of security of the components
that make up our critical infrastructure systems.

The majority of our nation's critical infrastructure is privately owned and
operated, with the asset owners being subject to market forces as they make
decisions relative to the security of their systems. In the current
situation where control system security issue awareness is sporadic and
significant incidents have not been publicly reported, these privately owned
infrastructure systems have only rudimentary mitigations for security risks.
Despite the lack of appropriate security controls, there are numerous
examples where asset owners have decided to increase their dependency on
technology to reduce the costs associated with having to maintain a large
operating staff. This reduction in the number of qualified operators and
increase in the number of connected systems has resulted in a significant
increase in the vulnerabilities that we see affecting control systems today.

INL has worked through government programs and industry associations, and
directly with vendors and asset owners to increase security awareness. While
significant progress has been made in this area, it is still in the early
stages of getting vendors and asset owners across infrastructures working
together. Specifically, some vendors are still producing the components that
make up infrastructure systems without appropriate security controls or an
overarching security architecture. Among the early and limited successes is
a group of control systems technology vendors that is cooperating through
government-sponsored partnerships to improve the security of those systems.
Those efforts are still mostly confined to post-development security
reviews. Also, in the areas of system updates, prescriptive implementation
guidance and security support processes, control system security lags
significantly behind other technology sectors.

Exacerbating the immaturity of security in control systems, most of the
deployed systems that compose our infrastructure today were designed and
deployed prior to the widespread availability of networking technologies and
the advent of the Internet. However, as was mentioned previously, the lack
of security has not stopped asset owners from connecting those systems to
the Internet to take advantage of technological efficiencies in the face of
increasing competitive and resource pressures.

Where Do We Go from Here?
Comparing the capabilities of the asset owners and infrastructure technology
vendors to the capabilities of the underground attacker community shows the
stark contrast that exists between the attackers and the defenders. Based
upon the widespread use of networked technologies observed during INL
assessments, it should be noted that the complex systems that make up our
nation's infrastructure are out of balance-similar to how systems were out
of balance preceding the events of 2003.

The course of action that is necessary in light of the current situation
must be the continued decisive, coordinated, and committed effort by
government, technology vendors and asset owners. These efforts must start
with effective awareness campaigns to educate all sectors about the risks
they face, followed with clear guidance on minimum standards for technology
components of our nation's infrastructure. This guidance must contemplate
all aspects of the technology lifecycle, including improved development
standards, implementation guidelines, operations procedures and incident
response. Good progress has been made by progressive asset owners,
industry-initiated infrastructure protection leadership, and vendors willing
to anticipate larger, market-driven requirements for more security. The
process of change will best be supported by renewed vigor in finding ways to
get tools, technology and knowledge to a larger audience of asset owners and
technology providers.

INL's recommendation is to continue to prioritize and expeditiously address
the issues associated with the nation's control systems security. The use of
technology in our nation's infrastructure has improved the efficiency of
infrastructure operations without corresponding improvements in the ability
to secure these newly connected systems. For those of us working in this
area, the path is clear: We must maximize cooperation among asset owners and
technology vendors to understand and improve control system security across
the entire lifecycle of this necessary and critical technology. While we
can't reduce all risk, we must work collaboratively to reduce the impact of
these occurrences.

Aaron Turner is a cybersecurity strategist for the Department of Energy's
Idaho National Laboratory (INL). He applies his experience in information
security to collaborate with control systems experts, industry engineers and
homeland security/law enforcement officials to develop solutions to the
cyberthreats that our critical infrastructure is facing. Turner has been an
information security practitioner since 1994, designing security solutions
and responding to incidents in 20 countries around the world.

2002-2007 CXO Media Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in
part without permission is prohibited.
(F)AIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics in this
message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All rights to
these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have been placed
within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance with
"Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976.
The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107 of The
Copyright Act of 1976. "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to obtain
permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted materials
if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four criteria
for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case qualifies
as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy all four
criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair use" is
determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or does not
substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish to use
copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner. For more information go to:

THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL.  COPYING AND DISSEMINATION
IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.