http://www.nysun.com/article/54696

The Hell of It

 <http://www.nysun.com/authors/Daniel+Johnson>

By  <http://www.nysun.com/authors/Daniel+Johnson> DANIEL JOHNSON
May 17, 2007

In the war on terror, like every other war, there are two theaters: the
battle front and the home front. The outcome may be decided in either one.

On the two main battle fronts in
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Iraq> Iraq and
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Afghanistan> Afghanistan, the
issue hangs in the balance.
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Al+Qaeda> Al Qaeda's capture
of three American soldiers in Iraq has diverted attention from the
unspectacular but substantial success of General Petraeus's surge. It is a
similar story in Afghanistan, where the major success of the coalition
forces in killing the
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=The+Taliban> Taliban
commander  <http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Mullah+Dadullah>
Mullah Dadullah has been eclipsed by instability in neighboring
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Pakistan> Pakistan.

As important as what happens on the ground is the way it is reported back
home. Mark Urban, the
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=British+Broadcasting+Corporat
ion> B.B.C. defense correspondent, spent several days with a U.S. infantry
unit in one of the most dangerous outskirts of Baghdad. His fair, balanced
and dramatic reports, aired this week at length on prime-time TV, were rare
exceptions to the usual anti-American and anti-war bias of the B.B.C.

The American soldiers came across as likeable, perceptive, normal young men
who, despite having just lost two men, did not fit the B.B.C.'s standard GI
image of trigger-happy, blinkered rednecks. They had faith in their
commanders and their mission. In their eyes, a precipitate withdrawal would
nullify the sacrifice made by their dead comrades. The message is: give the
surge time to succeed, and this war can be won.

Back in Washington, however, British correspondents never let a day pass
without insisting that the anti-war Democrats, not
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=George+W.+Bush> George W.
Bush, now represent the American people, while assuring us that Republican
rats are deserting the President's sinking ship. On the home front, the
B.B.C. tells us, public opinion has lost faith in the commanders and the
mission. The message is: regardless of what happens in Iraq, the war is
lost.

Here in Britain, there is the same gulf between what happens on the front
line and what people believe back home. The predicted eruption of violence
in the southern provinces where British troops are being replaced by the
Iraqi army has not occurred. None of the commanders in Basra wants to rush
this process.. They know that talk of a premature pull-out is encouraging
the terrorists, the militias and their Iranian backers.

Yet defeatists are drowning out calmer voices in Parliament, encouraged by
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Tony+Blair> Tony Blair's
imminent departure and the possibility that his successor,
<http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=Gordon+Brown> Gordon Brown,
can be persuaded to cut his losses and run. So far, Mr. Brown has kept his
counsel. However, just as the Democrats are putting Republican presidential
hopefuls under pressure to repudiate Mr. Bush, so the British Tories may put
Mr. Brown under pressure to repudiate Mr. Blair.

The Left has always been soft on war and terror, but the British public is
now getting used to anti-war speeches from the Right. The Conservative
leader,  <http://www.nysun.com/related_results.php?term=David+Cameron> David
Cameron, has already distanced himself from the Bush administration, even
though he voted for the war. We shall shortly discover the full extent of
his opportunism.

Last week I happened to see Mr. Cameron at a memorial service for the
journalist Frank Johnson, one of whose famously witty columns he read before
a congregation that included most of London's media establishment. "Very
prime ministerial," I heard someone say as Mr. Cameron processed out of the
church. In the modern media lexicon, to be "prime ministerial" (or
"presidential") has nothing to do with gravitas and everything to do with
youthful enthusiasm. Barack Obama is a perfect example.

Mr. Cameron likes to keep up his profile by stunts designed to prove that he
is in touch. Last week he went to stay for a couple of days with a Muslim
family in Birmingham. Afterwards, he posted the following comment on his
website: "Every time the B.B.C. or a politician talks about 'Islamist
terrorists' they are doing immense harm (and yes I am sure I have done this
too, despite trying hard to get this right.) Think of Northern Ireland -
'IRA terrorist' was fine because it marked them out as part of a terrorist
group, 'Catholic terrorists' would have been a disaster. Yet that is the
equivalent of what we are doing now."

He doesn't get it, does he? When Catholics talk about martyrs, they mean
those who die for their faith. When Islamists talk about martyrs, they mean
those who kill for their faith.

Islam is the religion founded by Mohammed. Islamism is the ideology of
Muslims who wish to impose their religion, including its political and legal
system, on non-Muslims, if necessary by jihad. That is what many of the most
powerful clerics in the Islamic world advocate. It is what global
organizations such as the Muslim Brotherhood and Hizb ut Tahrir put into
practice by radicalising the young. It is what produces an unlimited supply
of terrorists for al Qaeda, the Taliban and Hamas.

Mr. Cameron's refusal to mention Islamism in the same breath as the war on
terror is like refusing to mention Nazism or Communism in connection with
the Second World War or the Cold War. Not all Muslims become Islamists, just
as not all Islamists become terrorists, but these are three concentric
circles. We can't win the battle of ideas if we don't even know what we are
up against, let alone how to grasp the variable geometry of jihad.

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=11648958/grpspId=1705447214/msgI
d=32982/stime=1179401658/nc1=3848601/nc2=3848644/nc3=3848539>