http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCommentary.asp?Page=/Commentary/archive/200704/CO
M20070417a.html
Why You Should Own a Gun
By Alan Caruba
CNSNews.com Commentary from the National Anxiety Center
April 17, 2007

The murders on the Virginia Tech campus, the worst such rampage in our
history, might have been mitigated if just one member of the faculty or a
student had the means to return fire.

I have owned guns for decades. On rare occasions, I have had to "show" one
of my guns to people with bad intentions. Not surprisingly, they changed
their plans to take my money and do me some harm. The Virginia Tech murders
confirm the value of empowering ordinary citizens to carry a concealed
weapon.

On March 9 I learned of a ruling in the case of Parker v. District of
Columbia in which Senior Judge Lawrence H. Silberman wrote an opinion, with
Judge Thomas B. Griffith concurring, that restored the Second Amendment to
the citizens of the District and, by extension, to every citizen of these
United States. Not since 1976, had residents of the District had the right
to defend themselves with force of arms.

Judge Silberman wrote, "In sum, the phrase 'the right of the people', when
read intratextually and in light of Supreme Court precedent, leads us to
conclude that the right in question is individual."

As Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation, noted
succinctly, "The right of self-preservation was understood as the right to
defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely
necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government."

That is precisely why the Second Amendment says, "the right of the people to
keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Many States refused to ratify
the proposed U.S. Constitution until this amendment and nine others were
included. As Judge Silberman noted in his decision, the Second Amendment
acknowledges "a right that pre-existed the Constitution" in the same way as
freedom of speech.

Barely a week later in the Greenwich Village area of New York, David Garvin,
carrying two semi-automatic firearms and a bag with 100 rounds of ammunition
killed Alfredo Romero, a pizzeria employee, firing 15 rounds into him.
Confronted by unarmed auxiliary police officers, Nicholas Todd Pekearo and
Eugene Marshalik, he killed them as well. They were volunteer civilians who
wear uniforms nearly identical to regular police. Finally, Garvin-a man with
no psychiatric history-was shot dead by full-time police officers.

This is why police officers are always armed. I could not help wondering how
that event would have been altered if any of his victims had been able to
shoot back.

The Second Amendment Foundation notes that firearms are used defensively an
estimated 2.5 million times every year, four times more than criminal uses.
This represents some 2,575 lives protected and saved for every life lost to
a gun. According to the national Safety Council, the loss of life to
accidental firearm death is at its lowest point since records were begun
nearly a hundred years ago.

In a nation where the rights conferred on individual Americans by the Second
Amendment were just reaffirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals in the District
of Columbia, it's worth considering that, as of November 1997, there were an
estimated 129 million privately owned firearms in the nation.

Guess what? After September 11, 2001, the one thing a lot of people did was
to go out and buy a gun. If a bunch of fanatical Muslims could hijack four
commercial airlines, destroy the World Trade Center towers, fly one into the
Pentagon, and intended to fly the other possibly into the White House or the
Capitol building, a lot of people decided that being able to shoot people
with similar intentions was a very good idea.

Since then we have seen numerous incidents of "instant Jihad syndrome" where
some Islamist decided to kill infidels who were just out for an hour at the
local mall or otherwise peacefully going about their lives. And, yes, there
are still criminals who use firearms. Now, however, Americans are not bound
by some gun-banning law to be nothing more than victims.

Responsible gun ownership is a good idea. And if this is the first time you
have heard about the recent decision of the Court of Appeals, that's because
this story got buried by most mainline newspapers and by virtually all of
the broadcast news media. No doubt this case will go to the Supreme Court at
some point.

The writers of the U.S. Constitution understood the necessity for an armed
citizenry. When only the government has guns, everyone else is just a slave.
Gun-banners who would turn everyone's life and liberty over to the care of
an all-powerful, central government, don't understand and don't agree with
that.

As gun law expert, John M. Synder, put it, "Gun rights are human rights. Gun
rights equate with the right to defend life and, therefore, with the very
right to life itself."