soil'

*         Denies links with Taliban, other violent groups outside Bangladesh

Reuters

Friday, May 18, 2007

http://dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\05\18\story_18-5-2007_pg7_31

DHAKA: Islamist militants in Bangladesh are preparing to launch car bomb
attacks and carry out other deadly missions, one self-described militant
commander said in a rare interview with a private television channel.

"After going somewhat slow following the execution of our top six leaders,
we have regrouped, received funding from Saudi Arabia, acquired training and
(are) now recruiting drivers to operate suicide vehicles," he told Ekushey
television (ETV). ETV aired the interview late on Wednesday night, showing
the militant hooded in a black robe from head to toe, and only revealing one
eye.

"I cannot give my name for security reasons," he said, describing himself as
the commander of the Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen, an outlawed group seeking to
introduce tough Islamic sharia law in Bangladesh.

The Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen and another outlawed organisation, Jagrata Muslim
Janata Bangladesh, are blamed for exploding some 500 small bombs in
simultaneous attacks across Bangladesh on August 17, 2005, killing three
people. They are also alleged to have killed at least 30 more people and
wounded 150 in attacks through the rest of that year. The victims included
judges, lawyers, policemen and others. Six Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen leaders were
hanged in March and many of its followers are on the run.

"The executions did not break our morale, rather inspired us to carry
forward their mission," the militant said in the interview, conducted in an
undisclosed jungle location. "We have several thousand cadres ready,
including many to operate suicide missions."

The militant said one funding means was "our people who work in Saudi
Arabia", who send some of their own savings and collect from other sources.
"We are ready to strike again, soon," he added.

The Islamists faced some operational difficulties because of a state of
emergency in Bangladesh now, but hoped to overcome those soon, the militant
said. "Now we have drafted young and old, and even women. They are all
trained and equipped."

Asked what mission he wanted to achieve, the militant said "to establish
Allah's rule in the soil of Allah". "Anyone who accepts our demand is a
friend, anyone who don't is an enemy. And we will finish them." He denied
any links with the Taliban or other violent groups outside Bangladesh.
Defence analyst retired major-general Shahedul Anam Khan told ETV the threat
of car bombings could be real, but it might take some time before there was
an attack.