Good...shouldn't be negotiating with terrorists in the first place.

Muslim cleric spurns plea to help free BBC man in Gaza
 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ALAN MACDERMID       May 18 2007
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/display.var.1408098.0.0.php

A Muslim cleric described as Osama bin Laden's right-hand man in Europe
yesterday rebuffed British government pleas to intercede on behalf of
kidnapped BBC correspondent Alan Johnston.

The Foreign Office asked Abu Qatada, who is awaiting deportation to Jordan
to face terrorism charges, to make an appeal from prison for Mr Johnston's
release.

But this was dismissed as "not serious" by Qatada, who said he was ready to
travel to the city of Gaza with a BBC delegation to meet Mr Johnston's
captors with the aim of getting him released.

Mr Johnston's 45th birthday yesterday marked his 66th day in captivity.

In a statement issued through the London-based Islamic Observatory Centre,
Qatada said: "It is clear that the British government is not serious in
getting (Johnston) freed and is heading towards his getting killed."

He is said to have issued the letter because the "British government has
been trying to deal with me in an incorrect manner in the matter of Alan
Johnston".

However, it is unlikely that Qatada - described by the government as a
"significant international terrorist" - would be allowed to go to Gaza.

The cleric, who has been described as a "key figure" in al Qaeda, is
currently in custody fighting extradition to Jordan.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We have been in discussions with Abu
Qatada's lawyer to see whether he would be willing to make a humanitarian
appeal for Alan Johnston's safe release."

Qatada previously made an appeal for the release of British hostage Ken
Bigley, who was subsequently murdered by his captors.

The Special Immigration Appeals Commission ruled in February that Qatada
could be deported to Jordan - where he has been convicted twice in his
absence of involvement in terrorist plots - despite his legal team's
arguments that he would face a flawed trial there.

He has spent most of the past six years detained in custody in the UK
because the government regards him as a potential terrorist threat.

Around the world vigils were being held yesterday to mark Alan Johnston's
birthday. He was seized at gunpoint on his way home in Gaza City on March
12.

His parents, who live in Argyll, sent messages of love and support to their
son in a televised birthday greeting, recorded in the hope that he has
access to TV or radio.

His anxious father Graham said: "We're all thinking about you all the time,
constantly. It would be a much happier birthday if you were here with us
today. All our fondest love, my son. Keep your chin up."

His mother, Margaret, added: "Happy birthday, Alan. We're missing you,
obviously. I'm going over to Cairndow (Argyll) today for lunch with some
friends and we'll all be thinking about you and wishing you were with us."

His sister, Katriona, also sent a message saying how much she missed him.

She added: "Don't worry about mum and dad, I'm keeping their spirits up as
you know I can."

Family friend Iain Hosack also happened to be celebrating his birthday,
turning 102 today.

He said: "I'm not having a party this year, Alan, but next year we'll have a
party and you'll be there. All the best, old boy."

Army of Islam, a little-known group, has claimed responsibility for the
kidnapping and demanded that Britain frees Muslim prisoners - specifically
naming Qatada.

The BBC's world news-gathering department was holding a series of events in
centres such as Teheran, Hong Kong and Moscow to mark Mr Johnston's birthday
and keep his plight on the agenda.

The abduction of Mr Johnston has triggered appeals for his release from
around the world.

He was recently named broadcast journalist of the year by the London Press
Club for his work reporting from the Gaza Strip.

C All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> permission is prohibited.
(F)AIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics in this
message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All rights to
these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have been placed
within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance with
"Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976.
The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107 of The
Copyright Act of 1976. "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to obtain
permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted materials
if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four criteria
for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case qualifies
as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy all four
criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair use" is
determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or does not
substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish to use
copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner. For more information go to:

THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. COPYING AND DISSEMINATION IS
PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.