http://www.cbsnews.com:80/blogs/2007/05/18/couricandco/entry2824837.shtml

Al Qaeda Red Tape Could Sink Padilla

Posted by  <javascript:loadAuthor('couricandco', 500803, 'Michael_Wuebben')>
Michael Wuebben

In the trial of terror suspect Jose Padilla yesterday, prosecutors for the
U.S. government presented into evidence an alleged
<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/17/ap/national/main2823948.shtml> al
Qaeda training camp application containing the finger prints of the Chicago
native once accused of plotting to detonate a dirty bomb.

My first reaction as I read this news: So you have to fill out an
application to join al Qaeda? It's one of those terms that seems strange on
its surface, like "Paul Wolfowitz's girlfriend" (not that I'm surprised
Wolfowitz has a love interest, but the term "girlfriend" more befits
adolescents making out in a food court than two high-level civil servants).

So what's on this al Qaeda application? One of the top-notch producers at
the CBS News Investigative Unit, Phil Hirschkorn, wrote a good
<http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/05/17/primarysource/entry2822709.shtml>
blog entry on yesterday's proceedings and he's included a
<http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/padilla_application.pdf> copy of the form
with the government's translation. Among the questions: "What do you plan to
do after your training?" where applicants can select either, "train and
return," "jihad" (I'm assuming the most popular choice), or "work within a
group." Al Qaeda also wants to know if "you have any advice for your
Mujahideen brothers?"

Apparently, flying thousands of miles and tracking through the rugged Afghan
countryside to a terrorist safe house isn't enough to convince al Qaeda an
applicant is serious about jihad. They want it in writing. At the end of the
form there's a pledge that every word on the form is correct, "as Allah as
my witness." Call it terror cell red tape. And this bureaucracy could help
bring down al Qaeda.
  <http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/common/images/blog/dash_post.gif>
10:25 AM : May 18, 2007