Media Matters: Defaming Journalists, Getting Sued
by Catherine  <http://www.humanevents.com/search.php?author_name=Catherine
Moy> Moy
Posted 05/15/2007 ET
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=20711

A controversial journalist and Republican activist has sued the left-wing
Media Matters for America and its founder, David Brock, for slander and
invasion of privacy, claiming the nonprofit is a, "hate machine organized
and orchestrated to smear conservatives and Republicans who dare to speak
out against the liberal orthodoxy and manipulation in the nation's media."

Anthony "Andy" Martin served Brock with the lawsuit on Thursday after Media
Matters wrote a piece calling Martin an "anti-Semite." In a letter dated
March 30, 2007, Martin demanded a retraction and an apology with a notice
that he would sue Brock and Media Matters for defamation/libel if the group
did not comply.

"I am writing to ask that you retract your claims on both of your web sites
that I am an "anti-Semite" and "actually mentally ill" as there is no basis
in fact or law for such claims," Martin wrote in his letter for retraction.

"Brock attacked Don Imus. He has attacked Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly.
And he as also smeared me," Martin said. "I am in good company with national
media personalities.

I have sued Brock and MMFA. He can defend his defamatory accusations in
DuPage County, Illinois Circuit Court."

I contacted Media Matters to speak with Brock about the lawsuit.

"He is very busy," said Katherine Ely, who answered Media Matters' phone.
Ely said she did not know whether Brock was at work, but said a spokesman
might call. Nobody has responded for comment.

Martin previously lodged two legal claims relating to accusations that he
was anti-Semitic and won settlements in both cases, Martin's lawsuit says.
The defendants in those case are not named in the lawsuit.

Media Matters for three years has monitored conservative media and attacked
high-profile conservatives with provocative language and out-of-context
quotations. Brock is a former attack dog who posed as a conservative and now
claims he made up stories about such people as Anita Hill, who charged
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas with sexual harassment during Thomas's
confirmation hearings.

Brock outlined his lies and conversion to liberalism in his 2002 book,
"Blinded By The Right." He launched Media Matters in 2004 after conferring
with Hillary Clinton.

"David Brock has invented a new form of political organization: a tax-exempt
group that is subsidized by taxpayers while Brock gets to spew his
hate/smears," Martin said. "The sympathetic left-wing national media love
it."

Media Matters began its attack on Martin after I appeared March 1, 2007, on
KSFO's Lee Rodgers and Melanie Morgan's morning show in San Francisco. I
spoke about my research on Democrat presidential candidate Barack Obama, his
attendance at an afro-centric church and how Obama misrepresented his
education in Islam. I said that I had spoken with Martin, who began research
on Obama several years ago when Martin was running in the Republican primary
for the Senate seat now held by Obama.

Media Matters ran a story the next day with the nearly incomprehensible
headline, "In reviving Obama smears, Morgan guest/co-author cited reported
anti-Semite with "well-documented ideation with a paranoid flavor and a
grandiose character."

It was a classic Media Matters' slur that relied partly on decades'-old
reports. In an effort to discredit me, Brock's workers went after one person
with whom I had spoken about Obama instead of reading my report published at
MelanieMorgan.com and noting the array of sources I used. Brock's methods of
madness have not changed since his days spent disemboweling the left; he has
simply switched focus.

"Plaintiff has been the leading, and for a long time the only, national
source of investigative information and commentary about Sen. Barack (Barry)
Obama, and has published extensively on Obama's prevarications," Martin's
lawsuit states. "In response, the defendants (Media Matters) have sought to
attack plaintiff and smear him on the Internet as an "anti-Semite."

Martin began reporting on Obama in 2004 and "was the first to research and
disclose the Muslim family history of Obama and his relatives . . ." the
lawsuit says.

Other major media including the Los Angeles Times, England's Daily Mail, and
the New York Times have confirmed much of Martin's reporting on Obama's
religions.

In addition to the charge of anti-Semitism, Media Matters also regurgitated
snippets from others' reports suggesting Martin has suffered from mental
illness. The insensitivity of Brock's organization is striking considering
his own bout with mental issues as he was writing his mea culpa, "Blinded by
the Right."

Martin has a long and storied past as a journalist, candidate for multiple
elected offices, and civil rights advocate. He went to law school and has
more recently written articles condemning George W. Bush and his links to
Israel, and how Israeli policy influenced the war in Iraq. Though a
registered Republican who may run again for Senate, Martin is highly
critical of some in the GOP.

Martin supports the Israeli peace movement and has vigorously opposed "the
Israeli military junta in Tel Aviv," his retraction letter reads. "I am
entitled to criticize Israel the state without being accused of being
opposed to Judaism the religion . . ."

Media Matters' attacks on Martin continued after a March 28 article in
NewsMax in which Martin wrote about Obama's white grandmother and claimed
the senator was keeping her from appearing in public.

Media Matters again called Martin an anti-Semite in its headline of March
29, which read: "Anti-Semite Andy Martin in NewsMax: 'Free Obama's White
Grandmother." Media Matters also repeated a report that Martin called a
judge a "slimy Jew" more than two decades ago and that he suffered from a
mental illness.

Martin has clashed repeatedly with court officers, claiming Connecticut
judges used false allegations of anti-Semitism against him to "distract from
the illegal activity which was routinely conducted in the federal court,"
Martin's lawsuit says.

Martin is asking for no less than $100,000 for the two counts of alleged
slander and invasion of privacy. A court hearing on status of the case is
set for July 30, 2007 in the 18th Judicial Circuit of DuPage County, Ill.