http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2007/cyb20070522.asp#6
O'Donnell:'655,000 Iraqi Civilians Dead.
Who Are the Terrorists?'

     On last Thursday's The View, Rosie equated the United States with
terrorism, strongly implying U.S. soldiers have committed terrorist acts: "I
just want to say something. 655,000 Iraqi civilians are dead. Who are the
terrorists?" An appalled Elisabeth Hasselbeck demanded: "Wait, who are you
calling terrorists now? Americans?" O'Donnell stood her ground: "I'm saying
if you were in Iraq, and the other country, the United States, the richest
in the world, invaded your country and killed 655,000 of your citizens, what
would you call us?" Then on Monday's show, O'Donnell responded to the
fallout from her moral equivalency rant as she claimed some cable news
outlets "twisted" her words, and then got personal with token non-liberal
Hasselbeck, calling her critics the "crappy shows" that "Elisabeth watches."

     [This item is based on two NewsBusters blog postings by Justin
McCarthy, online at: newsbusters.org <http://newsbusters.org/node/12823>
And: http://newsbusters.org/node/12904 ]

     On the May 17 show, O'Donnell, in interrogating the non-liberal
co-hosts, implied that the United States are the real terrorists:

     O'DONNELL: I haven't -- I just want to say something. 655,000 Iraqi
civilians are dead. Who are the terrorists?
     HASSELBECK: Who are the terrorists?
     O'DONNELL: 655,000 Iraqis -- I'm saying you have to look, we invaded-
     HASSELBECK: Wait, who are you calling terrorists now? Americans?
     O'DONNELL: I'm saying if you were in Iraq, and the other country, the
United States, the richest in the world, invaded your country and killed
655,000 of your citizens, what would you call us?
     HASSELBECK: Are we killing their citizens or are their people also
killing their citizens?
     O'DONNELL: We're invading a sovereign nation, occupying a country
against the U.N.

     After implying that they are terrorists, O'Donnell claimed to speak for
the American people: "Because people no longer, the vast majority of
Americans no longer are falling for the trick of the bad terrorist are out
there to get us."

     Elisabeth Hasselbeck then turned the tables on O'Donnell and asked
several times if the comedian "believes in terrorism." She did not answer
the question until she finally said there is "government sponsored
terrorism" including in the USA:

     HASSELBECK: Do you not believe in terrorism?
     O'DONNELL: I believe, Elisabeth, that 6,000 dead Americans from 9/11
and from this war is a lot less than 655,000 dead Iraqis.
     HASSELBECK: But do you believe in terrorism?
     O'DONNELL: I believe every human life is equal.
     HASSELBECK: Do you believe there is terrorism?
     O'DONNELL: I believe in state sponsored terrorism. I believe there is
government sponsored terrorism by every nation in the world, including ours.

     The segment began as Joy Behar announced she "almost would vote for a
Republican." That Republican is Texas Congressman and presidential hopeful
Ron Paul. Her reasoning was that Ron Paul suggested in lat Tuesday's
presidential debate that the United States invited the September 11 attacks.
Behar felt Congressman Paul was "right on the money." For good measure,
Behar also ranted against Giuliani for daring to speak out against the
"blame America first" rhetoric:

     BEHAR: We need to look at what we do from the perspective of what would
happen if somebody else did it to us. [Applause] That's, all he's saying,
all he's saying is instead of just being a knee jerk like Rudy Giuliani, and
you know Rudy Giuliani is not the only one who can respond to 9/11, excuse
me.
     HASSELBECK: But he's the one who did.
     BEHAR: He happened to be there. So were we. We were all there also. The
point is that there are other people in the country, including Ron Paul, who
have another way of looking at Middle Eastern policy and we should be
listening to those people too.

     On the May 21 show, O'Donnell answered to the charge that she called
U.S. troops terrorists. Elisabeth followed up with a very pointed question.

     O'Donnell: "Okay, I'll say it a million times. I just think it's
interesting that the network you support takes such joy in twisting my words
and distorting them. I do not think our American troops are terrorists. I
want our American troops home, able-bodied. [applause] I don't want them to
invade countries that have done nothing to the, us. I don't want them to die
at the hands of a Republican administration that doesn't care enough about
them to give them health care when they return. I love our troops and will
work for our troops and no matter what you say [bleeped out] I, and that's
the truth. Change it around as you like."
     [Applause]
     Hasselbeck: "But when you pose that question, what is the answer to the
question? Who are the terrorists?"

     O'Donnell soon turned on Hasselbeck: "But I didn't say it. You know who
said it? Those crappy cable shows said it. The ones Elisabeth watches. Those
shows."

     Hasselbeck harshly reacted to those comments and it prompted Rosie to
personally attack her more: "I watch all cable news, number one. I watch all
of the, because that's part of my job and as an American citizen I try to
broaden as many concepts as possible by watching all those news programs,
okay. I do, obviously, like, like certain shows. I'll throw them out if you
want me to. Like Hannity and Colmes, they're one of my favorites, because
they hold debates [applause] They hold debates on that show and I think that
is, that is like what we do here only, you know, we have four women. And I
think it's special here. But to say that, you know, someone can't hold two
thoughts at the same time just because I believe in terrorism when there are
Democrats out there running for office who don't want to believe in
terrorism and they want to treat it like the boogeyman. How are they going
to protect us from something-"
     O'Donnell: "I think that you're treating it like the boogeyman. I think
they've used it to polarize people."