http://counterterrorismblog.org/2007/05/the_holy_grail_of_publicprivat.php

The Holy Grail of Public-Private Counterterrorism Cooperation

By Jeffrey Breinholt

In this, my maiden voyage as a contributor to the Counterterrorism Blog, I
want to take the opportunity to introduce myself and touch on some important
counterterrorism developments masquerading as money laundering issues.

For the last several years, I have been Deputy Chief of the Counterterrorism
Section at the Justice Department. My background is financial crime. The
team I assembled there prosecutes terrorist financiers within the United
States. It was amazing to me before 9/11 and the PATRIOT Act that the
government tolerated a wall the prevented full dissemination of
FBI-developed intelligence with federal prosecutors. Thankfully, those days
are history. The next wall to tear down is between government agents and
American bankers. When this occurs, the fields of counterterrorism and money
laundering will be finally wedded, to the benefit of all Americans.

Since 1986, the U.S. has had an anti-money laundering regime that involves
banks reporting certain types of banking transactions - including those that
bankers find merely "suspicious" and indicative of customer criminality.

For the last twenty-plus years, banks have been the government's eyes and
ears. More recently, they have been brought into the intelligence community.
In intelligence parlance, banks are "intelligence collectors." Their tasking
comes from the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and the regulations promulgated
thereunder. People who do not like this need to get over it.

Bank information comes into the government without a case-related requests.
There are complaints that the government does not make effective use of this
information, the mandate for which has spawned an entire industry of money
laundering compliance experts, replete with conferences, expositions,
software, and continuing education opportunities for practitioners.

To examine the validity of the complaints from the banking industry that the
government does not properly exploit the information that involves the
expenditure of so much private resources, my friends at the FBI did
something in the aftermath of 9/11 that has not been publicized much, and
for which they do not get proper credit. Led by Counterterrorism Blog
contributor Dennis Lormel, they gathered a group of agents who are trained
empiricists, and set them lose on BSA-required data. The goal was to
determine how American law enforcement could interrelate better with the
banking industry, through rigorous quantitative analysis.

The study I will describe involves a particular policy question: should the
amount of a customer financial transaction that triggers the requirement
that a bank file a Currency Transaction Report (CTR) be raised from $10,000
to $30,000? Proponents of this change generally point to the cost of BSA
compliance, and the fact of inflation. How much would the FBI lose if banks
were relieved of filing CTRs for transactions in amounts between $10,000 and
$30,000?

To understand the methodology for the FBI study, imagine yourself as a state
transportation official responsible for giving the governor advice on
whether to eliminate a toll booth on a state highway. Let's say that the
toll booth costs $150,000 per year to maintain. Let's also assume that the
governor could double the toll for the booth that immediately follows the
booth considered for elimination. What facts would you want to know in order
to give the governor sound advice of the proposal?

The answer, if you think about it carefully, is how many cars that travel
through the first booth typically get off the highway before getting to the
second booth. If the state could double the toll at the second booth without
losing many cars, the elimination of the first toll booth would be
warranted. In fact, it would be warranted if the tolls lost from the
eliminated booth total less than $150,000.

The same idea was used to determine the impact of raising the CTR
requirement from $10,000 to $30,000.

First, let's look at the data about all CTR filings. Between 2000 and 2005,
CTR fillings, by amount, break down as follows:

. 38.6% of all the CTRs filed reported amounts between $10,000 and $14,999.

. 18.5% of all CTRs filed reported amounts between $15,000 and $19,999.

. 10.8% of all CTRs filed reported amounts between $20,000 and $24,999.

. 6.2 % of all CTRs filed reported amounts between $25,000 and $29,999.

What this means is that approximately 75 percent of all CTRs filed between
2000 and 2005 would not have been required if the minimum filing requirement
was $30,000 during this period.

To what extent would the FBI have not received valuable intelligence if
deprived of CTRs filed on transactions between $10,000 and $30,000? To
answer that question, we need to find a way to label a CTR as undeniably
valuable to the FBI's operations.

Here's the ingenious solution from the FBI empiricists: classify a
particular CTR as valuable - in intelligence language, "pertinent"- if the
information contained in the filing can be matched, either by name of the
bank customer or Social Security Number, to a person who is the subject of
an FBI investigation. The CTRs that fall in this category are "pertinent:"
their filing gives the government additional information about persons in
whom it was already interested.

Here are the results of the CTR amounts of "pertinent" CTR filings between
2000 and 2005:

. 29.2% of the "pertinent" CTRs reported transactions in amounts between
$10,000 and $14,999.

. 20.2% reported transactions in amounts between $15,000 and $19,999.

. 10.2% reported amounts between $20,000 and $24,999.

. 6.2% reported amounts between $25,000 and $29,999.

What these figures show is that 72 percent of the reported CTRs deemed
pertinent to FBI investigations were in amounts less than $30,000. The
undeniable conclusion from this study, as described by the FBI's Mike
Morehart at a recent Congressional hearing: "The practical effect on law
enforcement activities of an increase to the CTR threshold reporting amount
would be to severely limit or even preclude law enforcement access to
financial data associated with cash transactions that are not otherwise
documented."

Perhaps the more interesting question is whether this methodology and
empirical rigor could be used to go to the next level of public-private
cooperation: increasing the quality of "suspicious activity reports" (SARs).
Unlike CTRs, SARs are not triggered mechanically, but instead rely on
expertise of the particular financial institution's compliance department.
Still, they are not optional. Banks that fail to file SARs that they should
are penalized. Just ask Riggs, Amsouth, or Arab Bank.

What if we were to determine the universe of "pertinent" SARs? Then, from
the universe of those filings, we could reverse-engineer and determine, from
the narrative section of the SARs, the factors that financial institutions
actually highlighted. Armed with this information, the private sector could
be told what factors they should consider in complying with the BSA:
customer activity that correlates positively and significantly to activities
that FBI investigative targets exhibit to their banks

When that occurs, we will be one step closer to the Holy Grail of
public-private cooperation against terrorist financing.