http://worlddefensereview.com/esman061807.shtml

Published 18 Jun 07

By Abigail R. Esman
World Defense Review

Some time in the late 1990s, a friend and I took an impromptu three-day trip
to Istanbul. As we stood at the airport waiting to check in, a pretty,
dark-haired woman, probably in her mid-thirties, approached us, excused
herself, and asked if perhaps we might be willing to be of help. Her mother
– she gestured to an elderly Turkish woman in a headscarf and long coat and
laden with cheap, plastic travel bags – had more luggage with her than the
airline would permit. Since my friend and I had just one small suitcase
each, would we be willing to check some of Mamma's luggage in under our
name?

The poor mother looked frightened. Here she was, returning home after a
visit with her daughter in a foreign country where she didn't speak the
language, facing an overweight luggage fee she clearly couldn't afford. I
started to step forward to assist when I felt my friend's elbow smack
against my rib.

"Are you crazy?" she whispered, "Did you see Midnight Express?"

Apologetically, we turned the woman down.

These days, of course, no one is likely to ask a stranger to be responsible
for another person's luggage – let alone assume the risk of doing it – but
on another recent trip to Istanbul, I thought of that mother and her
daughter, and wondered how I would respond if the same request were made of
me today. Most likely, the conversation in my own head would run something
like this:

"She's an old lady. She's harmless."

"She's a conservative Muslim from Turkey asking you to take her luggage on
the plane."

"Don't be a racist. She's an old woman."

"You should never take another person's luggage anyway."

And if I was being honest enough with myself, I would acknowledge that it
was, indeed, the fact that she was a non-European Muslim that made me
nervous, and the fact that she was elderly and female and wore a soft, shy
smile, that made me think she was okay.

On both counts, I'd be wrong.

This past April, Michael Chertoff expressed concerns about European Muslims,
who have visa-free entry to the US, indicating a long-overdue awareness
within the U.S. intelligence and government agencies of the fact that
Islamic extremism is no longer limited to Africa and the Middle East.

In fact, a Dutch report counted 31 planned attacks by European Islamists in
the years from 2001-2006. Surprisingly, most suspects were Algerian, not, as
many have thought, Saudis and Moroccans.

Moreover, as Yassin Musharbash observed in the German weekly der Spiegel,
according to the report, jihadists in Europe "radicalize with little outside
interference, … often together with friends and family members." "What this
boils down to," writes Musharbash, "is that these Euro-terrorists are
recruiting themselves."

Even more startling are the figures explored in Hebrew University professor
Raphael Israeli's book, The Third Islamic Invasion of Europe. According to a
review of the book in the Jerusalem Post, Israeli has counted "as many as
100,000 French and British citizens [who] have converted to Islam over the
past decade." Islam has also become chic in Germany, where 4,000 people
converted to Islam between 2004 and 2005. And whereas in the past, such
conversions usually took place when a non-Muslim and Muslim wed, Mohammad
Salem Abdullah of the German Islam Archive told der Spiegel that most of the
recent conversions came "of their own free will." While converts typically
remain female, they increasingly include middle-class, male university
graduates, as well.

This is not to suggest that conversion to Islam or the expansion of the
religion is, in itself, a threat. But many experts acknowledge that new
converts tend, like those who have recently stopped smoking, to be the most
adamant and conservative in their views, less tolerant of digression from
the pure laws of the religion. They have not yet grown comfortable enough
with it, wearing it not like an old, beloved leather jacket that has
stretched over the years to accommodate their bodies and their movements,
but more like the brand new one – still stiff, still just out of the box,
still so shiny and new they shrink from anything that could mar its
unsullied perfection.

That same close adherence to rules often betrays an uncertainty and
unfamiliarity with Islam. And because new converts are less knowledgeable
about the religion, and because they tend often to be especially eager to
please, they can easily be swayed by one or another interpretation of the
Koran. As Magnus Ramstorp, a Swedish terrorism expert told the Christian
Science Monitor, "New converts feel they have to prove themselves. Those who
seek more extreme ways of proving themselves can become extraordinarily easy
prey to manipulation."

But it is the women who increasingly are causing counter-terrorism officials
to worry as they being to play a greater role in the jihadi movement.
Farhana Ali, an expert on women and terrorism at the Rand Corporation, a
think tank in Washington, D.C. , counts off a series of recent female
suicide bombers: one the previous Tuesday in Iraq. Seven others in Iraq. At
the end of May, Turkish officials detained a woman planning to bomb the
1700-kilometer long Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan pipeline. "And these are the ones we
know about, but there are others which are not known," she says. "You'll see
messages in Sunni insurgent web sites that say ‘blessed be the sister who…'
– but this is never revealed in the Western media." One female Muslim leader
has even stated that while it is primarily a man's role to fight jihad, if
women have to play a role, they will.

"And if we can't identify the men," she adds, "how much more difficult would
it be to identify the women?"

Ali, who is herself Pakistani-American and a Muslim, calls these women "the
untouchables." Because they are female, they are not searched by men at
airports, and therefore often pass without being searched at all. One Marine
officer also pointed out that most in the military are men, says Ali, which
also limits their engagement with Muslim women. "We're not even supposed to
look at them, and we respect that," she says he told her. "So what do we do
now that we suspect more female bombers?"

What, indeed, do we do – now that the radical Muslim in our communities,
praying in our local mosques, riding on our public buses, sitting beside us
on commuter trains, is increasingly as likely to be named Sarabeth as
Fatima, as likely to be Barnaby or Roger as Mohammed or Ahmed? (Or perhaps
not: "Mohammed" has now replaced "Jack" as the most popular boy's name in
the U.K.)

"We are so consumed with reports that come out in the papers about ‘know our
enemy,'" says Farhana Ali. "But we are not clear on our enemies. It used to
be the Sunni insurgencies, and now you have the Shiite insurgents, and in
Pakistan there's been a tidal wave since the Afghan war. What we're seeing
now is the explosion, these explosive events and these women with their
batons threatening the government with suicide." That fact, she says, "is
even more alarming and dangerous and threatening to international security."
But Ali believes only other Muslims can effectively change the situation.
""We have no entrée," she says. "These people don't want to talk to
Westerners. They feel exploited. They believe that the message they would
impart will be misconstrued, misrepresented by Western reporters. " But not
enough Muslims, she says, are willing to get involved, "perhaps because they
understand, or because they don't want to be implicated, associated with
these people."

And without that information, without a sense of pattern or structure,
old-fashioned profiling – long a standard, if controversial, security
mainstay, is of no use anymore. Airline security restrictions continue to be
relaxed. Train stations continue to offer no security screenings whatsoever.
In Istanbul, shops, hotels, even some restaurants, require patrons to pass
through x-ray upon entering, but in the West, we repel from the idea. Yes,
there are more dangers there. But what do they know that we should know? Why
is security seemingly more important to the Turkish people than our own?

There is no doubt that the systems currently in place in Europe and America
are woefully insufficient. Inevitably, many readers will disagree with me on
this, calling "ludicrous" many of the kinds of safety measures that have
been put into place already; how often have I heard businessmen groan at the
idea of having to take their shoes off for X-raying by a TSA agent at the
gate? What we need most, though, is not more X-ray machines at airports, but
more honesty in the media and a better-informed public. We need more women
inspectors at the airports – and, please, at bus and train stations, as
well. We need those Muslims who believe their religion has been hijacked to
take new converts under their wings and guide them and protect them from the
influence of radicals and the often-alluring offers of recruiters for jihad.
We need to face the truth that stands, however veiled, before us.

— Abigail R. Esman is an award-winning author-journalist who divides her
time between New York and The Netherlands. In addition to her column in
World Defense Review, her work has appeared in Foreign Policy, Salon.com,
Esquire, Vogue, Glamour, Town & Country, The Christian Science Monitor, The
New Republic and many others. She is currently working on a book about
Muslim extremism and democracy in the West.

Abigail R. Esman can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit Esman on the web at abigailesman.com <http://abigailesman.com/> .