http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2007/07/fcd6fb92-a1a9-414b-803a-265afa7
ccc74.html

Iran: Rights Expert Condemns Broadcast Of American-Iranians

July 17, 2007 (RFE/RL) -- Amnesty International's Drewery Dyke, the
human-rights organization's international researcher on Iran, spoke with
RFE/RL's Radio Farda correspondent Farin Assemi about the Iranian
government's scheduled broadcast of a program on July 18 that includes
alleged confessions by detained Iranian-Americans.

Radio Farda: What's Amnesty International's opinion about broadcasting
so-called "confessions" of Iranian-American citizens Haleh Esfandiari and
Kian Tajbakhsh, which Iranian TV will broadcast tomorrow?

Drewery Dyke: The reported confessions of Haleh Esfandiari and Kian
Tajbakhsh, two dual nationals currently detained in Iran, flies in the face
of Iran's human-rights obligations regarding fair-trial procedures, an act
which is clearly not permitted under the conventions that Iran is a party to
and would undermine any trial that may arise in connection with their
detention. The organization unconditionally condemns this particular act and
indeed the apparent basis of their detention, as they appear to be prisoners
of conscience held only for their beliefs. The organization would call for
their immediate and unconditional release as there appears to be no criminal
charges that meet international standards for a recognizable criminal
offense.
"We must hold the government accountable for overall actions of the
state...Iranian authorities [are]...the ones who are really responsible for
the situation, who should really put a stop to the situation."

Radio Farda: What is the basis of the pressure on Iranian political, social,
and cultural activists?

Dyke: The basis of the pressure is not one particularly that organizations
such as Amnesty International look at. We look at human-rights issues,
human-rights violations. To the extent that we do that, we find that other
patterns of violation in the country conform to a large, unabated pattern of
[human-rights] violations [that] cover a range of issues, including the
arrest of [human-rights] defenders, the detention of students held in
connection with the so-called "18th of tir" student demonstration, and those
who protest against other arrests in connection with women's rights and
executions. There is a range of these issues that there are complaints
about. That there are protests and, in this larger context of use of
politics of fear, creating a kind of polarized situation in the country. We
see a spiral of [human-rights] violation that's continuing in an unabated
manner, and amongst these we see the arrest of Haleh Esfandiari and Kian
Tajbakhsh and others, one of your colleagues, for example. So we would urge
this spiral to stop and for the Iranian authorities to live up to their
obligations, to adhere to their obligations, stay party to the international
covenant of political rights, really just start showing respect towards its
own people, towards its own [human-rights] defenders, towards its own
students, towards those who are under the age of 18 and sentenced to death.
It's a spiral, the end of which is unclear -- certainly a spiral which needs
to end now and by putting [human rights] back on the agenda, recognizing the
importance of [human rights], the rule of law, the dignity of people when
considering issues of administration justice.

Radio Farda: Who is in charge of detaining and getting confessions from
Haleh Esfandiari and Kian Tajbakhsh? Is it the judiciary or the government?

Dyke: Under international law, we must hold the government accountable for
overall actions of the state and, in this regard, the failure of Iranian
authorities to implement and live up to their own commitment regarding
[human-rights] standards, they're the ones who are really responsible for
the situation, who should really put a stop to the situation. Yes, there may
be other forces and other factors and we do appeal to all of those and,
indeed, we seek to contact all of those who have a stake in the HR situation
in Iran: religious leaders, NGOs, commentators, the press. It's why we make
our statements available...why we appeal directly to the governors of
provinces, to the [Iranian] supreme leader, to the minister of intelligence,
to the head of the judiciary: because they're all stakeholders in the
implementation of [human-rights] standards. Although ultimately, the
government must take responsibility and, ultimately, it would be [Iranian
President Mahmud] Ahmadinejad's government which needs to ensure that the
[human-rights] obligations that Iran is a state party to, the International
Covenant of Political Rights, that these are implemented.