American Airlines Pilots Revolt Against the TSA
By Justin <http://www.minyanville.com/gazette/bios.htm?bio=84>  Rohrlich
November 5, 2010 10:42 AM

The Atlantic Monthly's Jeffrey Goldberg, no fan of the TSA himself
<http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/10/for-the-first-time-the-
tsa-meets-resistance-updated/65390> , got his hands on a letter from Captain
Dave Bates, president of the Allied Pilots Association, which represents
11,000 American Airlines pilots.

Goldberg wonders
<http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2010/11/american-airlines-pilot
s-in-revolt-against-the-tsa/65746> :

"It is a source of continual astonishment to me that pilots -- many of whom,
it should be pointed out, are military veterans who possess security
clearances -- are not allowed to carry onboard their airplanes pocket knives
and bottles of shampoo, but then they're allowed to fly enormous,
fuel-laden, missile-like objects over American cities."

Anyway, here's the note sent to APA members by Captain Bates:

Fellow Pilots,

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has implemented the use of
Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) body scanners at some airport locations.

While I'm sure that each of us recognizes that the threats to our lives are
real, the practice of airport security screening of airline pilots has spun
out of control and does nothing to improve national security. It's long past
time that policymakers take the steps necessary to exempt commercial pilots
from airport security screening and grant designated pilot access to SIDA
utilizing either Crew Pass or biometric identification. As I recently wrote
to the TSA Administrator:

"Our pilots are highly motivated partners in the effort to protect our
nation's security, with many of us serving as Federal Flight Deck Officers.
We are all keenly aware that we may serve as the last line of defense
against another terrorist attack on commercial aviation. Rather than being
viewed as potential threats, we should be treated commensurate with the
authority and responsibility that we are vested with as professional
pilots."

It is important to note that there are "backscatter" AIT devices now being
deployed that produce ionizing radiation, which could be harmful to your
health. Airline pilots in the United States already receive higher doses of
radiation in their on-the-job environment than nearly every other category
of worker in the United States, including nuclear power plant employees. As
I also stated in my recent letter to the Administrator of the TSA:

"We are exposed to radiation every day on the job. For example, a typical
Atlantic crossing during a solar flare can expose a pilot to radiation
equivalent to 100 chest X-rays per hour. Requiring pilots to go through the
AIT means additional radiation exposure. I share our pilots' concerns about
this additional radiation exposure and plan to recommend that our pilots
refrain from going through the AIT. We already experience significantly
higher radiation exposure than most other occupations, and there is mounting
evidence of higher-than-average cancer rates as a consequence."

It's safe to say that most of the APA leadership shares my view that no
pilot at American Airlines should subject themselves to the needless privacy
invasion and potential health risks caused by the AIT body scanners. I
therefore recommend that the pilots of American Airlines consider the
following guidelines:

Use designated crew lines if available.

Politely decline AIT exposure and request alternative screening.

There is absolutely no denying that the enhanced pat-down is a demeaning
experience. In my view, it is unacceptable to submit to one in public while
wearing the uniform of a professional airline pilot. I recommend that all
pilots insist that such screening is performed in an out-of-view area to
protect their privacy and dignity.

If screening delays your arrival at the cockpit, do not cut corners that
jeopardize the safety of the flight. Consummate professionalism and safety
are always paramount.

Maintain composure and professionalism at all times and recognize that you
are probably being videotaped.

If you feel that you have been treated with less than courtesy, respect and
professionalism, please submit an observer report to APA. Please be sure to
include the time, date, security checkpoint and name of the TSA employee who
performed the screening. Avoid confrontation.

Your APA Board of Directors and National Officers are holding a conference
call this week to discuss these issues and further guidance may be
forthcoming.

While I cannot promise results tomorrow, I pledge to dedicate APA resources
in the days and weeks to come to achieve direct access to SIDA for the
pilots of American Airlines. In the meantime, I am confident that you will
continue to exhibit your usual utmost professionalism as you safely operate
and protect our nation's air transport system.

Well, it's official--this week's "Suck It" award goes to...the TSA!
Congratulations, all.

http://bit.ly/alUY5h

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.